Target Darts.

My first year with playing darts
Pretty much one year ago I started my darts journey.

Well amazon tells me I placed my order on the 31.12.2015, but let's say it was one year ago.
I placed an order on Amazon for a Blade 4, a surround and a set of RedDragon Swingfire 21g. Didn't know much about darts back than, but knew I wanted to start with good equipment and no brass darts, to avoid getting a bad first impression. Due to living in a block of flats, I couldn't put my board dircetly on the wall. So I had to build a little hanging system first, but than it could start.

Beeing honest, I am not a natural talent or a decent talent or a talent at all. But I played a lot at the beginning, maybe two/ three hours on the most days. Luckily as a student I have the time to play and train every day.

But with my first set I wasn't to happy. It just didn't feel to good and all. I than got a used set on a german darts forum, that someone good handmade for himself, but didn't use anymore. To be honest I just bought them cause they were handmade and that made an impression on me back than. Well, had not a lot of plan about it. But they cost me 20€ or so. So no harm done.

But they worked good for me and for the first time I felt like I really could improve and I saw how I grouped my darts closer together and closer to the treble.  I than got a set of Jhyan Artut Masterdarts from the dartscorner clearance section.  I than started to hit 140 and so on a regular basis, still not beeing too good, but I had the feeling, that I was on a good way. But the Artuts always lacked a bit of grip, which I felt I needed. I than got a set of A180 Alan Norris darts and this was great. Felt right from the first moment.

At the same time I got a set from dartsclearance, put them out, and the first three throws I had with them were T20, T20, T20: So my first 180, was a great feeling. I didn't think that the second dart was in, so I wasn't nervous or excited and so I just throw the last dart in the same pace and it was in and than I saw the second was also in. Amazing moment. Showed it immediately everyone I could find. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

But back to the Norris darts, I soon hit my first 180 with them too, I think two or three more with them followed, the darts simply felt right. This must have been around May or June. It felt very good, when the first dart was in the Treble I really was confident, that the other two would follow or get close around the treble. My grouping was good at that time. I think I was on a good way back than.

But than I didn't play that much till October or so and somehow I really lost my throw. Hard to explain, but simply nothing works. My grouping is bad, a lot of really weak darts. Aiming for the T20 and pulling them in the 15 sometimes. Since fall I had only short moments when I had the feeling that I was playing well. After christmas I switched to the new Target Norris darts, as the V180s felt a bit too used and the grip just has faded a bit.

So I may have lost my throw and my technique is a mess, but I am confident to find a way back and to hit 180s again and to raise my game.

But to the positive things. Well some people would say it's a bad thing. But I started with one set a year ago and now I have 71 sets. So the dartsnutz virus really hit me, but I love collecting darts. It makes me happy. I don't smoke, I don't drink alcohol, so I can spend my money on darts. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 

So what's next. I plan to build myself a raised oche and simply to have fun.
So I wanted to thank this great forum. Have learned a lot here. Great people around here. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Winmau - Andy Fordham SE
Wow 71 sets in a year!  Good write up - best of luck getting back to form
I too started about a year ago and I am certain fairly confident I don't have half as many sets, can't wait to tell my missus how reserved i have been in my purchases!

Nice post.
Nice little write up, well done vanJupp. :thumbup:
Nice story, thanks for sharing Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Hope you find your mojo soon vanJupp Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

And 71 sets in a year!!! It'll be a year for me in Feb but I'm only up to 25 sets, looks like I must try harder Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts: Target Carrera C10 - 24g
Dartboard: One80 Gladiator II
Lighting: Target Vision 360
Surround: Winmau Orange
Thanks for sharing your first years experiences with us one thing I can say honestly, you will re discover your throw just be patient and dont over analyse it.
Just throw darts and enjoy yourself. We all have peaks and troughs, the trick is to enjoy the highs and dont dwell on the lows, you have 71 sets of darts to practice with after all LOL
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Voks Tornado points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
Great story! I also started about a year ago and didn't play over the summer, so I had some problems to continue where I left off.
71 sets is a nice collectionGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. do you use multiple sets per training session or stick to one? How do you determine which set works best for you? I got 9 sets now and find it very hard to see which works best.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
That's a busy 12 months. How many sets do you think you'll have after year 2?
(01-17-2017, 10:52 PM)Lurker1 Wrote: Wow 71 sets in a year!  Good write up - best of luck getting back to form
Thanks. Yeah, I hope for the best. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

71 and a few are already on the way. I can't help myself. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(01-17-2017, 11:07 PM)drolmaeye Wrote: I too started about a year ago and I am certain fairly confident I don't have half as many sets, can't wait to tell my missus how reserved i have been in my purchases!

Nice post.
Thanks. Well I don't have a missus, so that helps. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-17-2017, 11:09 PM)Great White North Wrote: Nice little write up, well done vanJupp. :thumbup:
Thanks Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-18-2017, 12:35 AM)ChrisTheFish Wrote: Thanks for sharing your first years experiences with us one thing I can say honestly, you will re discover your throw just be patient and dont over analyse it.
Just throw darts and enjoy yourself. We all have peaks and troughs, the trick is to enjoy the highs and dont dwell on the lows, you have 71 sets of darts to practice with after all LOL
Thanks Chris. Yeah, that's what I learned. Questioning and thinking your throw and always seeing the negative doesn't do any good. At least not for me. From time to time you just have to make clear to yourself that the darts you see on the TV are not the standard. You see the best players of the world and not some ordinary game. But it always seems so easy and you want to achieve great thing yourself. So just show yourself that 100+ averages and 9 or 10 darters are nothing normal, but something very special.

But that is the dangerous attraction of darts. It seems so easy, but it's so hard to master.

Well, from the 71 darts I won't use some for practice as I would hate to get grouping marks om some of them. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(01-18-2017, 01:57 AM)Phisk Wrote: Great story! I also started about a year ago and didn't play over the summer, so I had some problems to continue where I left off.
71 sets is a nice collectionGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. do you use multiple sets per training session or stick to one? How do you determine which set works best for you? I got 9 sets now and find it very hard to see which works best.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Thanks. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I only use one set in training. It does not help if you use different sets. Every set is different and so you will approach every set different. You may grip it in another way, it flies a bit different and so on. In my opinion, if you really want to improve you should stick to one set and learn it by heart. You should know when you can get over a dart when the treble is blocked or when you should move or switch. You simply have to learn what is possible and what not.

If you not sure which is the best, you probably simply have not found the perfect set for you. Cause you just know when you have found the one set that works perfect for you. But to find that one set can be a long and never ending journey. So just take the set you trust most. With some darts you may can throw a few great darts, but also you have some very wild ones. You may want to choose the set, but I wouldn't. Take the set you feel won't let you down when you are on a double, the set you feel confident with and not nervous. In the end it's just a thing of feelings. There is no rulebook how to find the perfect set. You just will know when you have.

(01-18-2017, 02:02 AM)Humdinger Wrote: That's a busy 12 months. How many sets do you think you'll have after year 2?
Pretty sure more than now. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Well, I am about to finish university so everything can happen, but I predict I won't double the number. At least I hope that. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Winmau - Andy Fordham SE
Great post ,,, and I hope many more 180's come your way ,,, I have probably 70+ sets I have accumulated since becoming a NUT,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.,,,,,I have 2 sets on the way ,,, I am a hoarder of darts ,,, not a collector ,, cause I throw all of mine ,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Great Story, sounds much like mine and likely others!!!, I picked up darts a few months ago having not player for years and ive had to figure out which dart style/grip/weight/stem/flight i need (still working on that) which is my favourite grip to use etc etc, at christmas i got a board and surround which i put up and im practising for around an hour a day, ive hit 4 180's this month and in 501 im averaging on a bad game 40 and a good game 71

Im only on my 5th set of darts so got some catching up on you to do!!

best of luck finding the form again! im sure it will come quickly
Great to read that and see your progress. The Nutz affect has took hold too lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(01-18-2017, 04:49 AM)0ldjoblo Wrote: Great post ,,, and I hope many more 180's come your way ,,, I have probably 70+ sets I have accumulated since becoming a NUT,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.,,,,,I have 2 sets on the way ,,, I am a hoarder of darts ,,, not a collector ,, cause I throw all of mine ,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I throw most of my sets as well, but a few are just for the collection as I couldn't live with any marks or scratches on them. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(01-18-2017, 10:18 AM)Jamesr4300 Wrote: Great Story, sounds much like mine and likely others!!!, I picked up darts a few months ago having not player for years and ive had to figure out which dart style/grip/weight/stem/flight i need (still working on that) which is my favourite grip to use etc etc, at christmas i got a board and surround which i put up and im practising for around an hour a day, ive hit 4 180's this month and in 501 im averaging on a bad game 40 and a good game 71

Im only on my 5th set of darts so got some catching up on you to do!!

best of luck finding the form again! im sure it will come quickly

Thanks James. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(01-18-2017, 10:21 AM)Getagrip Wrote: Great to read that and see your progress.  The Nutz affect has took hold too lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks Darren. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

What can I say. You are my role model. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Winmau - Andy Fordham SE
Thanks for sharing mate. I'm not playing for long too (just 2,5 years). I tottally understand what you say about your throw. The slumps come and go ang they come again. Players like you (as described) and like me and the most of the people that are not natural talents have to pratice those 3 hours a day to get a decent throw. The good is to keep the excitment and joy.

Do you play in any tournaments?

Also, 71sets in a year??? wow thas almost a set every 5 days. Why not updating your darts ollection thread with the rest of them.
Thanks for sharing and this is almost my story! Began at the same time and I stopped for a while to and lost my throw. Just keep training and it will come back and be much better! Did you try to throw at a tournament or in league?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shoes for playing Darts DAVEISTHENAME 28 6,030 01-03-2021, 12:35 AM
Last Post: bkbum
  Top ten health benefits from playing darts Ancient Darter 8 2,270 07-24-2020, 01:19 AM
Last Post: Cat
  Foot really hurting playing Darts DAVEISTHENAME 8 891 11-12-2019, 03:53 AM
Last Post: CalixNL
  What is your Darts goal to end the year with GONKO 1 215 09-06-2019, 08:13 AM
Last Post: mc1958
  Shirt for playing Darts DAVEISTHENAME 11 664 05-21-2019, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Crusher17
  My first year of darts. Dartism 6 463 02-12-2019, 11:26 PM
Last Post: *Saber*
  How do you rate yourself playing darts 1-10 *Saber* 98 13,819 11-09-2018, 08:20 PM
Last Post: JamieJ
  My First Year in darts The Jester 4 592 03-08-2018, 02:29 PM
Last Post: The Jester
  Playing darts is good for a coronary!! Tremble 17 1,670 02-16-2018, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Tremble
  My second year with playing darts vanJupp 6 817 01-24-2018, 04:36 PM
Last Post: vanJupp