Darts Buddy

A Disappointment: Unicorn Core Plus Black - 26g (Beginner Brass Darts)
Thumbs Down 
I've been playing darts for about 18 months now, but I've only begun to take darts more seriously in the last 4-5 months.

As part of this new step, I've been buying various darts, of various weights, grips and styles.

Upon browsing many eBay stores (the selection on eBay is amazing!), I came across the "Unicorn Core Plus Black - Brass Darts - 26gram", and because the price was less than 10EUR, I decided to make the purchase. I was immediately drawn to their sleek look, and wanted to try something a bit heavier at 26g.

Initially after receiving them, I thought they felt a bit slippy and lacked any real grip.  But gave them a throw anyway... They weren't bad, but because of the extra weight, combined with the slipperiness, they spun all over the place when throwing. 

I had previously tried the Unicorn Core - Brass series, which have a solid knurled grip at 24g. After throwing the "Plus" model, the regular Core series seem to have way better grip.

Has anyone else had experience with the Plus - Black edition? Maybe it's my throw style - I throw as if I'm holding a pen in my right hand.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I do not know your darts, but if you want them to be less slippy, you can try removing the paint with some nailpolish remover or strong alcohol (not your grandpa's whisky...)
Match Darts: Target Phil Taylor gen 3, 22 g
Best 501:
19 darts
180s (2017):
 91/60

180s (2018): 87
180s (2019): 7

(01-16-2017, 06:48 PM)WhiskyPops Wrote: I do not know your darts, but if you want them to be less slippy, you can try removing the paint with some nailpolish remover or strong alcohol (not your grandpa's whisky...)

Ooooh, good idea. Never even thought of removing the paint. 

It would be a great idea, because we came to the conclusion that the slipperiness was caused by the shiny black paint!

I'll try it tomorrow and report back! I've nothing to lose by removing the paint because they're now lying idle in the box!

Thanks
(01-16-2017, 06:52 PM)JDooner94 Wrote:
(01-16-2017, 06:48 PM)WhiskyPops Wrote: I do not know your darts, but if you want them to be less slippy, you can try removing the paint with some nailpolish remover or strong alcohol (not your grandpa's whisky...)

Ooooh, good idea. Never even thought of removing the paint. 

It would be a great idea, because we came to the conclusion that the slipperiness was caused by the shiny black paint!

I'll try it tomorrow and report back! I've nothing to lose by removing the paint because they're now lying idle in the box!

Thanks
No problem mate. It will definitely work, had two the same brass sets with and without paint.

Just be careful not to dissolve other paints like a ring, watch, shirt, table top.... It is very nasty stuff, contains acetone (google it), although in low concentrations.
Match Darts: Target Phil Taylor gen 3, 22 g
Best 501:
19 darts
180s (2017):
 91/60

180s (2018): 87
180s (2019): 7

Putting a coating on a brass dart is a stupid idea. Bare brass has a distinctive feel that tungsten lacks.  (When Unicorn introduced gold PVD coatings, the big selling point was that it felt like brass!)
I think those darts are coated, not painted. Might have some difficulty getting it off if so. I agree with the above though - not the best idea to coat brass of all things! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. I find it's more slippery anyway than tungsten.

I kind of run with the philosophy that you should start as you mean to continue - there's loads of different cheap tungsten sets out there if you know where to look! Here's a few pointers.

Darts Clearance is an arm of Retriever Sports and they do loads of bargains on their page (plus they're a forum sponsor, you can see their logos on our forums Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ) https://stores.ebay.co.uk/dartsclearance/

The McCoy/Archer's/Eagle/Tommy's/Pentathlon ranges from Pure Darts are also a good luck for less expensive tungsten darts, come in many weights and shapes. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
https://www.puredarts.co.uk/

Red Dragon are also having a clearance sale at the moment, bargains to be had there too!
https://www.reddragondarts.com/clearance.html

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
They're painted.  Keep throwing them, it will chip off on its own before long.  My son bought those same darts to throw work me and after a few weeks the paint was chipped up pretty bad and now peels off really easily with the back of a fingernail.  Not a bad dart but not a great coating either.  I'm thinking with a little acetone they would clean up nice.  Maybe a touch of Brasso to shine them up every now and again and you'll be fine.  I might just do the same to his!  Thanks for the post,  you gave me an idea!
- Red

Current Favorite:
Unicorn James Wade Phase 1 (20g)---Short Nylon/Poly Shafts---Marathon/No.6 Shape Flights  

Board:
Winmau Blade 5
Just do what I do and spend a fortune trying to find the best dart for your throw so far ive tried whitlocks/snakebites/mvg demolishers, and got some anderson phase 3's in the post as we speak haha
(01-16-2017, 11:26 PM)Kosumo Wrote: I think those darts are coated, not painted. Might have some difficulty getting it off if so. I agree with the above though - not the best idea to coat brass of all things! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. I find it's more slippery anyway than tungsten.

I kind of run with the philosophy that you should start as you mean to continue - there's loads of different cheap tungsten sets out there if you know where to look! Here's a few pointers.

Darts Clearance is an arm of Retriever Sports and they do loads of bargains on their page (plus they're a forum sponsor, you can see their logos on our forums Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ) https://stores.ebay.co.uk/dartsclearance/

The McCoy/Archer's/Eagle/Tommy's/Pentathlon ranges from Pure Darts are also a good luck for less expensive tungsten darts, come in many weights and shapes. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
https://www.puredarts.co.uk/

Red Dragon are also having a clearance sale at the moment, bargains to be had there too!
https://www.reddragondarts.com/clearance.html

Thanks for the reply. They are definitely painted. It's chipping and peeling off already. I plan on soaking them in some acetone to get the paint off. I'll do it tomorrow when I get some time.

Funny you should mention buying a set of cheap tungsten darts! I literally just bought a set today! 23gram, Winmau Naivgator 2. And they only cost me 10Eur in Argos here in Ireland.

Tungsten definitely has a different feel than brass. They seem heavier (because of the density) and much thinner. I'm throwing really well with them so far!

https://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=Winmau+Navigator+&authToken=

Here's a snap.... 

I suppose it's the natural progression from beginner -> amateur -> intermediate. You start with brass, and move to tungsten. So I may as well make the switch now, and get used to the tungsten feel... especially at this price! 10Eur!!

(01-17-2017, 10:18 AM)Jamesr4300 Wrote: Just do what I do and spend a fortune trying to find the best dart for your throw so far ive tried whitlocks/snakebites/mvg demolishers, and got some anderson phase 3's in the post as we speak haha

Yep, it's all trial and error. Finding the perfect weight and grip which suits your throw!
(01-17-2017, 04:20 AM)Red Wrote: They're painted.  Keep throwing them, it will chip off on its own before long.  My son bought those same darts to throw work me and after a few weeks the paint was chipped up pretty bad and now peels off really easily with the back of a fingernail.  Not a bad dart but not a great coating either.  I'm thinking with a little acetone they would clean up nice.  Maybe a touch of Brasso to shine them up every now and again and you'll be fine.  I might just do the same to his!  Thanks for the post,  you gave me an idea!

Definitely painted. They're chipping and peeling already. As I mentioned to another user, I'm going to soak them in acetone and get the slippy paint off, and maybe they'll improve.

Decent dart, but as you say, the coating is shocking with regards to how slippy it is. 

I'll do it tomorrow and report back with some photographs. 

It's why I made the post... to let buyers of these darts know what they are really like and to avoid the mistake I made! 

In the meantime, I bought some cheap tungsten darts to try them out. Definitely, a completely different feel coming from brass darts, but it's quite nice. You can feel the density and weight within the small size of the barrel. Only cost me a tenner in Argos. They're on sale in the UK and Ireland. https://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/s...reId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=Winmau+Navigator+&authToken=

(01-17-2017, 08:00 PM)JDooner94 Wrote:
(01-17-2017, 04:20 AM)Red Wrote: They're painted.  Keep throwing them, it will chip off on its own before long.  My son bought those same darts to throw work me and after a few weeks the paint was chipped up pretty bad and now peels off really easily with the back of a fingernail.  Not a bad dart but not a great coating either.  I'm thinking with a little acetone they would clean up nice.  Maybe a touch of Brasso to shine them up every now and again and you'll be fine.  I might just do the same to his!  Thanks for the post,  you gave me an idea!

Definitely painted. They're chipping and peeling already. As I mentioned to another user, I'm going to soak them in acetone and get the slippy paint off, and maybe they'll improve.

Decent dart, but as you say, the coating is shocking with regards to how slippy it is. 

I'll do it tomorrow and report back with some photographs. 

It's why I made the post... to let buyers of these darts know what they are really like and to avoid the mistake I made! 

In the meantime, I bought some cheap tungsten darts to try them out. Definitely, a completely different feel coming from brass darts, but it's quite nice. You can feel the density and weight within the small size of the barrel. Only cost me a tenner in Argos. They're on sale in the UK and Ireland. https://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/s...reId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=Winmau+Navigator+&authToken=

Nice set of tungsten!   When you get a chance post a pic or two of the brass ones once you're done.  If like to see how they turned out before I hijack and strip my son's darts!  Hope they turn out well!
- Red

Current Favorite:
Unicorn James Wade Phase 1 (20g)---Short Nylon/Poly Shafts---Marathon/No.6 Shape Flights  

Board:
Winmau Blade 5
(01-18-2017, 12:55 AM)Red Wrote: Nice set of tungsten!   When you get a chance post a pic or two of the brass ones once you're done.  If like to see how they turned out before I hijack and strip my son's darts!  Hope they turn out well!

No problem! I'll be doing it on Wednesday afternoon and post some photo's soon after Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
So I soaked them in turpentine as I didn't have any acetone.

They are now WAY WAY less slippery. The turpentine must have removed some sort of clear gloss coating now because they now have a matte looking finish.

Much nicer to throw. I'll get some acetone to see if it removes the black completely. But overall, a much better dart now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apparently great minds think alike!  I was busy with my own project yesterday afternoon.  A 20 minute soak in acetone, #000 steel wool and hot soapy water!  My son loves them!   Check out the pic!

Couldn't quite all of the black out of the grooves but I'm going to give them another soak and hit them with an old toothbrush.  Still look pretty good, if I say so myself! 

- Red

Current Favorite:

Board:
Winmau Blade 5

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Target Wayne Mardle Gen 2 - 24g - An Expensive Disappointment JDooner94 18 2,346 10-22-2018, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Yuillsy
  Anyone tried—Unicorn t95 core XL 95% Lutersek 22 5,056 02-19-2018, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Biko180
  Designa Black Shadow Darts - 24g - S3 normelmagdael 3 1,626 02-16-2017, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Fred-180