Target Darts.

Just one of those daysss
So I go home to practice during lunch (Joys of living 5 minutes from work!) and as i dont have much time i decide to just throw some 501 and track my average

i dunno if my hands were too cold, or im just tired, i dont know, but christ almighty every throw felt weird, my hands felt weird on release, my stance felt weird, i was pulling darts left or dropping them way low, i think over 10 legs my highest average was about 38

What do you guys do when this happens? do you just walk away and try again later or have you developed a system of getting back into the zone?
I stop and either come back later, or try again tomorrow. For me at least, I give myself 20 minutes. If things still feel "off" after that, I stop - I don't feel like I'm getting anything out of practise other than frustration.
Fair assesment Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. started practicing tonight and was instantly better with better feedback and averaging between 50-70 iguess its just one of those things where ill have to keep putting in the practice over and over to build the muscle memory and stuff
blame the wife

Catch a cold one and blame the Alc.
OK, maybe not during Lunch Break....
Thank you for posting I often wonder the same.
Some days feel like I'm hitting or close to where my attention is and other days happy to hit the board.
I'm contemplating breaking it all down and starting all over
Just not seeing enou consistency
Same!! Lack of consistency drives me nuts, missing my target doesnt bother me bunches. Ut missing by alot does
Hi, I feel the same sometime. I think that sometimes I can be cold hands (makes it impossible to play) or your arms are not warmed up properly. Also if I'm wearing tight clothing I find it very hard to play. I believe it can also be a lack of concentration sometime. What I do when this happens to me, is just push through the hard times, and find my rhythm. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As already mentioned stop playing is the wisest thing to do. But to be honest i can't do it too
If I am having a bad session, I'll cut it short. I won't just quit though, I'll set a simple goal and finish on a positive. It could be putting 3 darts in the same big single section or hitting my favourite double.
Steel Tip: 
Monster The Cobra II, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Jelle Klaasen Champagne flights
Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core
PB 501, 13 darts on July 18, 2018
PB 301, 6 darts on September 24, 2017
Soft Tip: 
Monster Rapier IV MG, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Haruki Muramatsu Ver.3 Champagne flights
Hi Darts
(01-14-2017, 10:38 PM)kungfuron Wrote: If I am having a bad session, I'll cut it short. I won't just quit though, I'll set a simple goal and finish on a positive. It could be putting 3 darts in the same big single section or hitting my favourite double.

That's what I do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Practising by playing 501 & averaging 38.
I'd go to another form of practice. Perhaps get out the practice cards (Deal a Dart) and go thru the deck until you've hit the lot.
Sometimes I play the worst when I'm wearing slippers dunno why be cause I loves me a pair of slippers I have to remove them and play barefoot
I find that practicing when I have a strict and quite short time limit can negatively impact the way I throw.  I get into a rushing mindset and try to fly through my warm up rather than going at my normal pace.  If I don't warm up properly then I find it difficult to find my throw during a game of 501.

One thing I try to develop in practice is the ability to mechanically throw well.  By that I mean I'm trying to be able to reduce the days when everything feels off and I don't don't know why by being able to know and reproduce my stance, grip and follow through.  For me this is enough for me to be able to throw to a reasonable standard while thinking about what I am doing.

The aim is for this to all happen without me thinking at all (i.e. "naturally") but I've found that if I don't spend a portion of my warm up or practice consciously thinking about my throw I drift into bad habits.

This is all part of my deliberate practice regime.  (Reminds me I am a month behind....)

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
(01-15-2017, 12:05 AM)dog Wrote: Practising by playing 501 & averaging 38.
I'd go to another form of practice. Perhaps get out the practice cards (Deal a Dart) and go thru the deck until you've hit the lot.

yeah, I usually average between 50-70 when im in the groove, i think as banz said and a few others as its only my lunch break perhaps im rushing and not really getting into any sort of decent practice/method, so your idea of choosing a practice drill rather than 501 would likely be a better idea

(01-16-2017, 06:19 AM)Banz Wrote: I find that practicing when I have a strict and quite short time limit can negatively impact the way I throw.  I get into a rushing mindset and try to fly through my warm up rather than going at my normal pace.  If I don't warm up properly then I find it difficult to find my throw during a game of 501.

One thing I try to develop in practice is the ability to mechanically throw well.  By that I mean I'm trying to be able to reduce the days when everything feels off and I don't don't know why by being able to know and reproduce my stance, grip and follow through.  For me this is enough for me to be able to throw to a reasonable standard while thinking about what I am doing.

The aim is for this to all happen without me thinking at all (i.e. "naturally") but I've found that if I don't spend a portion of my warm up or practice consciously thinking about my throw I drift into bad habits.

This is all part of my deliberate practice regime.  (Reminds me I am a month behind....)

As ive quoted above i think you and dog have nailed it 1) im rushing as im time limited and 2) im not actually thinking about anything specific in that time either in scoring terms or setup terms, I think next time i do this ill start by choosing a practice method like doubles or bobs 27 or cricket as my base and from there ill concentrate on stance/stroke, wether i complete the practice method or not will be indifferent if the stance/stroke is natural etc

thanks for everyones input, its a daft question but when you try to get better you sometimes just need a bit of input to help, even if its more a mental thing Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.