Shot Darts

Dart Retailers
Hello All,

I'm new here to the forums but have been a dart lover my entire life. I played with my dad when I was a kid and have fallen out of touch with it until recently. I've been really getting back into it lately and need to my old dartboard up on the wall ASAP. I live in South Central Pennsylvania/Western Maryland and I've been trying to look for a shop that sells darts rather than online. I've never really learned much about picking my own set of darts. I know there is a lot that goes into picking a set of darts, but for, essentially, a beginning amateur, I know that it's probably not super important, but I would like to get a set of darts that suits my throwing style (which at this point is unknown to myself). I was wondering if there is anyone else in my area that might know of a good shop to go to in order to ask questions and actually hold different types of darts before I buy a set. I'm about 30 minutes from Gettysburg, PA and Frederick, MD. Anyone have any suggestions on where I can start? I've been looking online just searching but haven't been having any luck finding a shop.
Hello and welcome to the forum!  I'm in Alabama and there's nothing near me but I was lucky.  My father-in-law had several sets of old bar type brass darts lying around and I was able to find a fairly good jumping off point.  I just took the plunge and ordered what I thought would suit me from A-Z Darts and it worked out.  Probably the wrong way to do it but hey, I'm Nutz!  And they've become my go to place!  Usually just a few days and my order is at my front door!  I just now looked online and there are several places listed in Philly.  Might be a bit of a drive but it could be a nice way to spend a Saturday!

Actually, the more I look there seem to be quite a few in Pennsylvania........some may be closer to you than others. I Googled "darts shops in Pennsylvania" and found them. Can't speak for the selection, of course, but there might be some good ones. Good hunting to you!
- Red

Current Favorite:
Unicorn James Wade Phase 1 (20g)---Short Nylon/Poly Shafts---Marathon/No.6 Shape Flights  

Board:
Winmau Blade 5
Welcome to the forum mate. Good luck in finding a dart that suits you. There is a lot of members from USA here, so if there is any shop near someone will give you the info
(01-11-2017, 09:37 AM)copigme Wrote: Welcome to the forum mate. Good luck in finding a dart that suits you. There is a lot of members from USA here, so if there is any shop near someone will give you the info

Welcome from France
Can't give you any help on finding a shop unfortunately but as for finding a dart that suits you here's a couple tips.
If you don't have a shop you can get some cheap darts from somewhere like puredarts for about $20 a set.

- try different weights, get a 22g, 24g, 26g

- try different barrel shapes; the 3 main one's to try would be straight barrel, Front-loaded and rear-loaded 'bullet' shape

- try different stem lengths; they're cheap for good nylon ones so pickup a couple sets of intermediate, medium and short lengths

- flights; stay away from these fancy flights shapes for now and just stick with standard shape flights until you have a dart you like then you can experiment with different flights.

Hope this helped let me know if you got any other questions and I'll try and help Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Darts: Winmau Navigator 23g
Board: Winmau Blade 5 and MvG Cabinet 
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Welcome aboard! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thank you everyone for the help and pointers so far. I'll be sure to look up those options and see where I get. Maybe I'll post an update once I make a decision on what to do. Thanks again!
Welcome and hope your search proves successful .

Match Darts=Target Darryl Fitton,s® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]®[/font]

And..A few sets of spares .®   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Cheers,
 Ken 
Welcome to the Nutz! Spend some time on the forum (and check out the reviews here (mostly by Getagrip) before you buy darts. Someone from your area should be round to let you know about near by darts shops.  That might be good for trying darts out before buying.
Found these on Google Maps:

Frederick, MD - https://www.edgeworksonline.com/

Philadelphia, PA - https://www.bullseyedartsupply.com/

State College, PA - https://www.state-amusement.com/
Dont forget, Dartsnutz members get a discount!!

Code: dartsnutz7
any darts bars or pubs locally? if so, might be advantageous to inquire there. good luck to you.
Welcome. One pointer on buying darts online when the need arises. You may have better luck with a bigger selection and lower prices if you buy from the UK rather than here stateside. At least that has been my experience. Even with shipping which is very reasonable and only slightly higher than shipping from point to point within the US. Honestly, unless I find a better local source, I'll continue to look across the pond rather than here at home for my darting supplies.
Liberal heathen
I'll second buying from UK vs state side for both cost and selection. I picked up a set of barrels for $15 off DartsClearance (scroll to the bottom of page for link) and they have been fantastic. I will admit that I went to amazon and bought a couple sets of flights and shafts before really looking at the UK sites and payed way too much for them. My last order was from Darts Corner and it was considerably cheaper than amazon although takes about a week to arrive.

As far as what to get, I am sure other more experienced folks will chime in, but my advise is go for a straight barrel as your first with consistent grip all the way down the barrel in a middle of the road weight (23-25g). This will allow you to work through where you prefer to grip the barrel (front/mid/back) with a similar feel. Pick up a range of deflectagrip (sold under many brand names) nylon shafts in different lengths and a few sets of flights in different shapes (standard/pear/kite/slim) and that should keep you busy for a while. Don't worry about looks yet, just get the dynamics of the dart that you like. Once you have it dialed in to where you like it then splurge (relatively speaking as dart supplies are cheap) on shafts and flights that you like in the size that works for you.

Have fun. I have recently picked it back up as well after 20 years and having a blast.
Welcome to the forum and may the darts be with you