Shot Darts

Transitioning To Playing With Glasses
Hey Nutterz...Finally went and got the eyes tested on saturday (about 4 years overdue) and not suprisingly I have a set of specs on the way...they should hopefully be here before the weekend...I'm just concerned as I have seen that most pros, bar Gary Anderson have struggled with the transition to wearing glasses..if the pros can't do it how am I meant to. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. if they are here on time I could get some practice in before league/counties this weekend but it could throw me of if they don't agree with me.

Has anyone on here went from playing without glasses to playing with them? How was the experience, did you improve / get worse, did it take long to get used to them etc etc.

I hopefully shouldn't have any issues with the flights hitting them or anything due to my stance and throw...hopefully I don't anyway as there's not much else I can do with my back. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
That would be me. I first got into darts and didn't need glasses to play and after a dozen or so years I noticed the board looking blurrier and print getting harder to read because my arms were too short. So, that had me venture down to get the eyes checked and sure enough, I needed glasses.

It wasn't much of an adjustment and the only time it really bothered me was another few years down the line when I found out I needed bifocals. First pair I got were lined and that totally messed with my mind. The next time I got the lineless bifocal with transition lenses and that did the trick for me. It is a much more gradual gradation in the change of vision.

Every once in a while I try to play without glasses and it is nothing short of a disaster since the board is so fuzzy that I actually have a hard time seeing the newer thin spiders. You will get use to it in time and it will probably help your game being able to see clearer.

Edited to mention this:

I did have to slightly change my stroke to not bring my dart back to my eye like I once did because the flight would sometimes hit the lens. I now bring my dart back to high on my right cheek just below the glass frames. It was a minor adjustment and one I got use to in no time.
Speccy!
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-10-2017, 06:39 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Speccy!

You forgot "Four Eyes", "Poindexter", "Nerd---Geek" and the worst insult of all "Hipster".
I'm telling Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I think the problem most players have when getting used to wearing glasses is they only wear them to play darts. If you wear them 24/7 (well dont sleep in them, its pretty painful) you wouldn't even notice them after a while.
I have a set for driving that stay in the car, and a set for Darts.
I only use them for Darts, It is like HD.

No promblem , as Long as they are cleen
I play with glasses as I have awful vision, although somedays I may as well take them off and throw randomly in any direction as my results would probably be the same
(01-10-2017, 05:42 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: That would be me. I first got into darts and didn't need glasses to play and after a dozen or so years I noticed the board looking blurrier and print getting harder to read because my arms were too short. So, that had me venture down to get the eyes checked and sure enough, I needed glasses.

It wasn't much of an adjustment and the only time it really bothered me was another few years down the line when I found out I needed bifocals. First pair I got were lined and that totally messed with my mind. The next time I got the lineless bifocal with transition lenses and that did the trick for me. It is a much more gradual gradation in the change of vision.

Every once in a while I try to play without glasses and it is nothing short of a disaster since the board is so fuzzy that I actually have a hard time seeing the newer thin spiders. You will get use to it in time and it will probably help your game being able to see clearer.

Edited to mention this:

I did have to slightly change my stroke to not bring my dart back to my eye like I once did because the flight would sometimes hit the lens. I now bring my dart back to high on my right cheek just below the glass frames. It was a minor adjustment and one I got use to in no time.

Cheers bud, put my mind to rest a bit...I'm only after putting a pair of shades on and having a few chucks and the flight doesn't touch as I drop the tail of the dart on pull back...hopefully it all goes smoothly...

(01-10-2017, 08:45 PM)Aussie Kev Wrote: I have a set for driving that stay in the car, and a set for Darts.
I only use them for Darts, It is like HD.

No promblem , as Long as they are cleen

That's what I am hoping for.....fingers crossed!!!

(01-10-2017, 09:00 PM)pugtato Wrote: I play with glasses as I have awful vision, although somedays I may as well take them off and throw randomly in any direction as my results would probably be the same

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. iv been there before Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-10-2017, 09:34 PM)hamo Wrote: Cheers bud, put my mind to rest a bit...I'm only after putting a pair of shades on and having a few chucks and the flight doesn't touch as I drop the tail of the dart on pull back...hopefully it all goes smoothly...
If I recall correctly, I believe the announcers said that Anderson had to tinker with his set-up of stems and flights because he too was hitting his glasses when he took the dart back.    Well, that didn't take him long to make the adjustment by his recent finals in the World's.
you'll sort it mate after a short while you won't notice
DARTS-Unicorn Taylor Phase 5 / Target Gen1 26g (why change for something else that probably doesn't work lol)
SHAFTS-Target power gen 1 intermediate
FLIGHTS-Crafty Cockney
BOARD-Winmau blade 5 dual core
BOARD-Winmau Diamond (for practice)
BOARD-unicorn eclipse HD trainer board (for a laugh)
SET UP-Wall mounted cabinet,"Ockeys" Oche,Target Corona surround light
HOWAY THE LADS Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 

(01-10-2017, 09:58 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(01-10-2017, 09:34 PM)hamo Wrote: Cheers bud, put my mind to rest a bit...I'm only after putting a pair of shades on and having a few chucks and the flight doesn't touch as I drop the tail of the dart on pull back...hopefully it all goes smoothly...
If I recall correctly, I believe the announcers said that Anderson had to tinker with his set-up of stems and flights because he too was hitting his glasses when he took the dart back.    Well, that didn't take him long to make the adjustment by his recent finals in the World's.
I thought that too but by second round he seemed to have went back to normal set up and dealt with it...hopefully it's that easy. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(01-10-2017, 10:46 PM)justin-tutboard Wrote: you'll sort it mate after a short while you won't notice
I hope so...if they are here I think I'll try them in league on Friday and go from there for counties on Sat...I'm actually hoping for an improvement but have seen most struggle unless they started playing with specs
I switch between lensen and glasses. Totally no clear line as to performance being better or worse. Sometimes I even hit trebbles without vision aids, so without seeing where I throw. As long as the feeling is good, the rest will follow!
Match Darts: Target Phil Taylor gen 3, 22 g
Best 501:
19 darts
180s (2017):
 91/60

180s (2018): 87
180s (2019): 7

I got new glasses a year ago ,,, and I seem to always take them off while playing darts,,, The reason is ,, I have Tri focals ,,, like 3 sets of glasses in 1,,, If i look through the bottom edge that's for reading anything closer than arms length,,, the further away the object gets the more i have to tilt my head back to focus ,,, unfortunately the 8 feet to the dart board is out of focus unless I tilt my head back and look down my nose ,,, so off come the glasses,,, Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-10-2017, 05:36 PM)hamo Wrote: Hey Nutterz...Finally went and got the eyes tested on saturday (about 4 years overdue) and not suprisingly I have a set of specs on the way...they should hopefully be here before the weekend...I'm just concerned as I have seen that most pros, bar Gary Anderson have struggled with the transition to wearing glasses..if the pros can't do it how am I meant to. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. if they are here on time I could get some practice in before league/counties this weekend but it could throw me of if they don't agree with me.

Has anyone on here went from playing without glasses to playing with them? How was the experience, did you improve / get worse, did it take long to get used to them etc etc.

I hopefully shouldn't have any issues with the flights hitting them or anything due to my stance and throw...hopefully I don't anyway as there's not much else I can do with my back. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Just ask your optician for transition lenses they go from light to dark so you won't see bad shots or good ones' for that matter, so the pressure's off Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eye dominance-glasses problems!! daveyboy66-26 7 685 09-28-2019, 12:18 PM
Last Post: samsimilian
  Glasses James Packer 9 1,867 01-16-2018, 09:57 PM
Last Post: DanC.Licks