Harrows Darts.

barrel turning grey/black.
hi all, wanted to ask if anyone has had such issues with tungsten barrels, specifically soft-tips. although i assume the issues would be the same for both tip types.

my Monster Barrels Conqueror has seen better days. it started turning dark grey/black in the last few months and i actually clean my darts pretty often because i use them very frequently(about 2-3hrs, 4-5times a week). i tried using an ultrasonic cleaner to clean it, it didnt work. maybe i didnt use the right solution or maybe the cleaner isnt strong enough as it was a cheap model. i tried using metal polisher, it did remove some of the grey-ness but it returned again after afew uses.

would really like to get back the sheen if possible. any help will be appreciated!

i've attached some pics for reference.

before:
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

after:
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I have noticed the same with my Monster barrels (and a few other brands) some just turn dark a bit faster. Guess it has to do with the tungsten they use.
Put some dish washing liquid and warm water in a cup, put the darts with points and shafts in there for an hour or 3, maybe even longer if they look this bad. After, scrub the darts off under warm clean water with an old toothbrush.

Not sure if this really helps, but some dirt or sweat really diffuses into the top layer of the metal, so it may need some hours of soaking. I can clean my barrels a lot better by soaking than brushing.
Match Darts: Target Phil Taylor gen 3, 22 g
Best 501:
19 darts
180s (2017):
 91/60

180s (2018): 87
180s (2019): 7

Wow, that is quite the change. A friend of mine said he was done with Monster cause he felt their quality wasn't there anymore, maybe he was right.

You're probably going to need a grinder with a buffing wheel to get them anywhere close to original, good luck.
Steel Tip: 
Monster The Cobra II, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Jelle Klaasen Champagne flights
Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core
PB 501, 13 darts on July 18, 2018
PB 301, 6 darts on September 24, 2017
Soft Tip: 
Monster Rapier IV MG, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Haruki Muramatsu Ver.3 Champagne flights
Hi Darts
In a german forum i heard about dential cleaner (Corega tabs)...but never tried it by myself.
This will make them look like new - it works reallly well on tungsten:

(01-09-2017, 02:26 PM)4737 Carlin Wrote: This will make them look like new - it works reallly well on tungsten:

[Image: https://i.imgur.com/LQoth7x.jpg]

Never Use polish on your barrels. Just clean with water and Dreft. No cleaning tabs, Fat Solvent or any of that.
may all the doubles be with you

(01-09-2017, 02:49 PM)Fred-180 Wrote:
(01-09-2017, 02:26 PM)4737 Carlin Wrote: This will make them look like new - it works reallly well on tungsten:

[Image: https://i.imgur.com/LQoth7x.jpg]

Never Use polish on your barrels. Just clean with water and Dreft. No cleaning tabs, Fat Solvent or any of that.

To be fair... there are actually metal cleaners made and marketed specifically for darts.
Tungsten is an incredible dense metal... I can't imagine that using a gentle metal cleaner could cause much damage?

Every Polish wear a film of your barrels, and after they turn up black sooner in contact with your hand grease sweat.

Mild soap and water is the best to use for cleaning your barrels

I wonder if a soft scrub tile cleaner would work? I've used it on some razors I have with good results
wow! thanks for all the responses. let me reply them one by one.

yes, i have noticed some brands turn black/dark grey from prolong use but some dont. i'm guessing its pure-ness of the tungsten.?

i usually remove the shaft, tips, flights, etc leaving only the barrel to soak/wash/polish. will probably give that a shot again as i havent soaked them in awhile.

a friend of mine did make a similiar comment about Monster Barrels as well. but i'm actually really comfortable with my current setup, thus i havent really considered any others. as for the buffer wheel, i might use it as a last resort.

dental cleaner.? thats a 1st.

is there an alternative to PEEK.?

whats Dreft.?

i just ordered a Yoshimura Barrel Cleaner Cream, supposedly works wonders&is specifically for dart barrels. hopefully that'll help.

will try the soap&water combination again while waiting for the barrel cleaner.
Fairy, Dreft, Cascade all liquid dish wash soap

Jayouloun did a video review of the Yoshimura barrel cleaner

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kfmUbnWDQqg

Joker Driver also makes a product called Diamond Paste.
Steel Tip: 
Monster The Cobra II, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Jelle Klaasen Champagne flights
Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core
PB 501, 13 darts on July 18, 2018
PB 301, 6 darts on September 24, 2017
Soft Tip: 
Monster Rapier IV MG, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Haruki Muramatsu Ver.3 Champagne flights
Hi Darts
I would only use an old tooth brush and a bit of soap. If it isn't enouigh then so be it. I'd take it as a fact.
Dunno if it's just me but I kinda prefer how they look now lol