Target Darts.

What age is too old to start trying to become a pro?
Hi, I'm 17 and have played darts very casually on and off with my dad for around 10 years, however nothing serious what so ever. But over the past couple of weeks I have found a passion for it and have been practising loads. I have already improved as I have hit my first 180 and first few 140's. I was wondering what age would you need to properly practise from to become a pro. I know MVG was already in finals at my age (but since he was also balding at 17, maybe he was way beyond his age) any comments are welcomed! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(01-07-2017, 08:18 PM)ross.e Wrote: Hi, I'm 17 and have played darts very casually on and off with my dad for around 10 years, however nothing serious what so ever. But over the past couple of weeks I have found a passion for it and have been practising loads. I have already improved as I have hit my first 180 and first few 140's. I was wondering what age would you need to properly practise from to become a pro. I know MVG was already in finals at my age (but since he was also balding at 17, maybe he was way beyond his age) any comments are welcomed! Thanks

I'm fairly sure Gary Anderson didn't start playing until his mid twenties and he's pretty good Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
"OOOHHH, Chimpanzee that, Monkey News! You F---.........."
Official Raymond van Barneveld No1 Fan.
(01-07-2017, 08:20 PM)lovejoy Wrote:
(01-07-2017, 08:18 PM)ross.e Wrote: Hi, I'm 17 and have played darts very casually on and off with my dad for around 10 years, however nothing serious what so ever. But over the past couple of weeks I have found a passion for it and have been practising loads. I have already improved as I have hit my first 180 and first few 140's. I was wondering what age would you need to properly practise from to become a pro. I know MVG was already in finals at my age (but since he was also balding at 17, maybe he was way beyond his age) any comments are welcomed! Thanks

I'm fairly sure Gary Anderson didn't start playing until his mid twenties and he's pretty good Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks haha! Probably helped that he owned a pub and constantly had the opportunity to play people!

Darts is one of those rare sports (although some people disagree it's a sport) that you can pick up a bit later in life and still do well at it
At 17 you've definitely got time on your side to make it as a pro with enough dedication and practice..natural talent helps a lot too but I'd take hard work and dedication over natural talent any day
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I hope you aren't as I'm 27 and still dream. Pretty sure Gerwyn Price got to the PDC having not played for that long too. I guess time will tell.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Doesn't hurt to start now... Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.    Start setting some concrete goals with realistic timelines and get at it. 

In 10 years you'll be 27 which is still pretty young in the darts world.
age is just a number if you have a passion dont let it hold you back you have as long as you want to have
You have plenty of time even if you were over ten years older. Wishing you all the best
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

Thanks all

Phil Taylor is 57 this year and ranked No.4 in the world. You've got plenty of time.
Since you didn't have your location anywhere on your post I looked on your personal page and see you are from London. I would think living in a large city in England, it would be fairly easy for you to find a venue that would allow you to play darts on a competitive level.

Darts here in the States in the form of leagues are adult endeavors since the leagues all play out of bars. Most youth players get into the game when a parent is a league player, or simply interested enough in the game to hang a board in the home. We have no youth leagues that I know of, and I'm more than certain none in my area of the States.

At 17, and with an interest in the game to even think about what it takes to go pro, I'd say give it a shot by getting involved ASAP in youth darts if that is available in your area. Who knows, you just might be the next MVG. Good luck young man.
Time is on your side but do you have talent and are you willing to practice 6hrs a day to achieve it?????
(01-08-2017, 12:00 AM)*Saber* Wrote: Time is on your side but do you have talent and are you willing to practice 6hrs a day to achieve it?????

I physically do not have 6 hours a day to give! I am decent at darts as I generally have good hand eye coordination !

How many hrs a day do you have to devote- and at least 4 days a week IMO
Around 4 hours everyday!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When they're going bad...they start going good. Aloe94 5 666 02-14-2017, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Hoppy
  Maybe start it all over? Troll 9 2,364 10-14-2013, 11:41 PM
Last Post: Big Gun