Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Scoring
Hi

Does anyone have any simple methods for scoring 501. I understand that just going and scoring games and practicing is good but just wondered what methods people used.

Thanks

Tom
throw 100 darts (at the 20) and count the times you hit the single, double and triple 20. A single is worth 1 point double 2 and tripple 3. Try to beat your score.
You can also use 1001 for scoring and try to beat that score. Third one is doing a1 for accuracy and a2 for grouping your darts. Training grouping will increase your chances of 140 and 180.
(01-06-2017, 10:44 AM)shadowdenim Wrote: throw 100 darts (at the 20) and count the times you hit the single, double and triple 20. A single is worth 1 point double 2 and tripple 3. Try to beat your score.
You can also use 1001 for scoring and try to beat that score. Third one is doing a1 for accuracy and a2 for grouping your darts. Training grouping will increase your chances of 140 and 180.

I meant more about the methods of maths that people use to score games quickly. Thanks for the practice routines though I'll give them a try aswell
It just seems to come with time i think - the PDC markers talk about patterns. this is more for the regular shots that happen more often so when you see the three darts you know the score rather than having to add it up.

one simple trick for starting out is to use round numbers
e.g. you are on 364 and you hit 59 - take away 60 and add one rather than try to take 59 off.
or if you hit 94 take 90 and then another 4
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I think its best to learn it your own way, that way it sticks better.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-06-2017, 12:01 PM)hamo Wrote: It just seems to come with time i think - the PDC markers talk about patterns. this is more for the regular shots that happen more often so when you see the three darts you know the score rather than having to add it up.

e.g. you are on 364 and you hit 59 - take away 60 and add one rather than try to take 59 off.

I agree that this is the best way to count when playing darts.

This is the only way to count fast enough when chalking for me and with little practice it's very easy to do it faster and faster.
(01-06-2017, 12:01 PM)hamo Wrote: It just seems to come with time i think - the PDC markers talk about patterns. this is more for the regular shots that happen more often so when you see the three darts you know the score rather than having to add it up.

That's the way I do it too, maths has never been my strong point. In fact just the thought of adding and subtracting numbers from eachother freaks me out lol

Well, in these cases (usually 95 -99) it is more practical just take away 100 and then add the "rest". I mean, if you are on 354 and you hit 95 then it is 254+5. I know some people use this method not only for 90s but also for other scores like 80s or 70s. I mean, if you hit 76 then it may be quicker to realize it is 24 to 100. So you imagine your score is 100 lower and then you add this rest. Sounds complicated, isn't it?

I have discovered that every player has his/her own method. I would divide my methods into three parts.

Firstly, when I hit 45 at the beggining, I don't count it at all. I simply know the result...the same applies for 140 etc. It's about those patterns. The same for adding numbers. I really don't count how many it is when you hit T19+S19+S7 etc.
Secondly, at first I subtract tens and then the ones. So, when I am on 354 and hit let's say 79 then I go this way 354-70=284. 284-9=275. Easier way may be subtracting ones from the end like in the school but I usually see the result in my mind (patterns) and by subtracting by this method I only check the result...
Thirdly, there are those easilly subtractable numbers like 95 mentioned above.

I'd say I am a pretty quick marker but there are some scores I admire callers to count them so quickly. When it comes to routes like T19, S18, T18 then I need more time. Now it reminds me when I was marking a match to Benito van de Pas...I don't mind any combinations with 19 and 20 but please don't hit that many S18 and S17 in a hurry :-)

I use this method myself, as are fairly bad at subtraction when standing at the oche.

Also, there's a chart you can get with the Pro's finishes. It gives the best 3 or 2 dart finishes for every number. That way if you miss the intended target there is still possibly another finish available to you. So rather than just shooting at a large single, sometimes hitting a smaller number or a treble will be more beneficial should you miss.
I think there is a good book that has tips on methods of scoring, its called Fun Dart Mentals I think.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Is it required to write down the points scored at each visit? I only write the points left and it's quite easy that way, I substract each dart individually so I don't have to wait until the end of the players' throw to figure it out.
(01-07-2017, 12:23 PM)Phenohyte Wrote: Is it required to write down the points scored at each visit? I only write the points left and it's quite easy that way, I substract each dart individually so I don't have to wait until the end of the players' throw to figure it out.

You have to mark both. I am somehow able to do the same as you but at the same time I also know what the sum is so that I could mark it then.
At the ends of legs when doubles are being prepared it is often seen not writing the hit scores as it is quite obvious. However, there is a player in our league who always insist on writing everything because he isn't able to follow the game at all. I'd get it if he hadn't been watching the opponent's throw... he is one of the players who throws his three darts and then he goes and counts what he has hit and what the rest is. If he's lucky then he's on even number and can spend another six or more turns on checking it out :-)

BTW, I really suffer when I see markers write down the hit scores in the middle of the whiteboards and write the rests in the left and right columns. Especially dutch players do it. Is here anyone to explain? Has it been tought at the school?

Here is what I mean. The "Scored" column should be always on the left side, "To Go" column should be always on the right side. Some markers have tendencies to switch the columns of the first player so that they have both "To Go" columns on the sides. It's a mess for me then...I can somehow cope with it only when the Scored numbers are crossed out.

a nice method is to work backwards from right to left say player is on 321 for example and hits and hits like 74 take the 4 off the 1 to leave 7 and write it on the right then take the 70 and take it from the 317 you'll have remaining as you've already done the 4 so on the left of the 4 you've written would be 4 then obviously 2 next to that to give 247 or you can do it by taking the 21 off 321 and taking the remainder 53 off 300 to give you the answer its a bit difficult explaining but once you've tried you'll see how it works it also gets easier the more you chalk it also helps you when your playing as you dont disturb your rhythm by stopping and asking what you have left ive seen so many players that are good and cant count that ends up holding them back
Im crap at scoring but what has helped me a bit is I play lots of 301 simply because of a slightly higher ratio of maximum scoring compared to doubles per game and I do all the math in my head. It dosent matter if you make a few mistakes here and there as it the finishing the counts and you soon memorise combinations.
Darts used 25g Adrian Gray Tungsten Shot Flights XLt Stems
Best Av (Singles) : 84
Best 501 : 15 darts
Highest Checkout 2016 : 160 (T20 T20 D20)
180s Practice  2019 : 100+
180s Comp 2019 : 10 
150s Practice : 3

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scoring Jakey32 8 795 01-31-2019, 05:52 PM
Last Post: thegr812k
  Scoring power Mortal ankle 5 755 08-09-2017, 03:05 AM
Last Post: djb
  Going through a down turn in scoring- *Saber* 15 2,867 10-02-2014, 04:30 AM
Last Post: Dorian