Darts Buddy

Will Phil Taylor ever win a World Title with target darts?
Is Phil Unicorn darts superior to his target darts?
I don't think it has anything to do with his darts. He's still a top player as evidenced by his winning the Champions League last year. The field is far stronger now than when he was dominating the World Championships and the sport in general. Whilst he's still competeing at the top level I wouldn't rule out a 17th world title.
I don't think it matters what darts he uses. It wouldn't stop how well others play against him.
No to both questions.

Given that he has pretty much kept up his averages/standard with his Target darts I don't think you could say categorically that his Unicorn set is better for him than his Target set and vice versa. Yes he made more money and won more titles with his Unicorn darts, but that doesn't make them superior for him - he may well have won the same amount or more if he had been using his Target darts instead of his Phase 5's.

What you also have to factor in is the other players who were chasing Taylor for several years have upped their games and they are no longer easy prey for him (most notably MVG and Anderson). Whereas Taylor has remained at a fairly consistent performance level, due to this upsurge in the chasing packs ability this is why I believe he will never win another World title (or any other TV Major in my opinion).
(01-06-2017, 08:11 AM)mc1958 Wrote: No to both questions.

Given that he has pretty much kept up his averages/standard with his Target darts I don't think you could say categorically that his Unicorn set is better for him than his Target set and vice versa.  Yes he made more money and won more titles with his Unicorn darts, but that doesn't make them superior for him - he may well have won the same amount or more if he had been using his Target darts instead of his Phase 5's.

What you also have to factor in is the other players who were chasing Taylor for several years have upped their games and they are no longer easy prey for him (most notably MVG and Anderson).  Whereas Taylor has remained at a fairly consistent performance level, due to this upsurge in the chasing packs ability this is why I believe he will never win another World title (or any other TV Major in my opinion).

This is the answer.  If you check back through his world titles and his opponents averages a lot can be explained as to why he is 'struggling' now.  Even on an off night his B game was often too much (probably a 90ish average).

The only note of caution I would suggest is that out of the top ten it is MvG than offers consistent standard of opposition.  Anderson is magic on form but can dip during the year.  Taylor has a game for all the rest (he finished 2nd in last years PL going to the final).

On his Target darts question, if this really was the answer he would have switched back long ago.  I'm sure he has old sets lying around somewhere.  He is and was never afraid to change or tweak his darts.
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

Unless he comes up with some new set that dramatically helps him improve somehow then No as Mike says Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Like the man himself says, these are the best darts he has ever used.
DARTS: RedDragon Hell Fire 24g
DART BOARD: Winmau Ton Machine
I think he's capable of winning another major, but he will never win another World Championship IMO.
(01-06-2017, 11:04 AM)Tarriq Wrote: I think he's capable of winning another major, but he will never win another World Championship IMO.

I agree mate, although I thought he was going sneak it this year. I see him retaining the Champions League this year.
Personally I don't class the Champions League as a major just because it is on the TV - when I speak about majors I mean purely the Worlds, Matchplay, UK Open, Grand Prix, Grand Slam and Premier League
I just think phil is coming to the end personslly , regardless of darts hes used but it was a great move for him going to target to make a shed load of cash , for me though the phase 5 rosso will always be my fav taylor dart
(01-06-2017, 11:17 AM)mc1958 Wrote: Personally I don't class the Champions League as a major just because it is on the TV - when I speak about majors I mean purely the Worlds, Matchplay, UK Open, Grand Prix, Grand Slam and Premier League

Fair play. I'd class it as a Major because only the World top 10 play in it. Can I see him winning any of the majors you've mentioned? Possibly, although with MVG and Anderson's dominance and quality at the moment, very unlikely.
Will you?
Darts Used:

Soft Tip - Target Rob Cross Soft Tip, Pro Grip Inbetween Shafts, Target Shape Flight, Tiga Hyper Point Tips
I will never count him out for anything until the day he retires. He is just too good of a player to not at least consider him a threat.

I do however think he is struggling with his gen 3's at the moment. It appears every time he steps up at the oche they land in a different angle.
Thanks for answers everyone. Another question. Does anyone know what weight Phil is currently using for his target darts? Do the pros switch between weights based on mood or fatigue? Do any of you guys switch between weights while using the same dart model?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taylor's Target Contract Moosie 24 1,377 04-02-2021, 09:04 AM
Last Post: NiteEyez
  Phil Taylor Phase 1, World Champion or something else? Humdinger 13 2,483 02-08-2021, 11:44 PM
Last Post: Spangle
  Phil Taylor’s last match darts? Snakemau 7 468 02-05-2021, 06:55 AM
Last Post: pkittle
  Chronology of title wins by darts: RVB NiteEyez 7 405 12-17-2020, 11:31 PM
Last Post: Gazzabnorthern
Information Phil Taylor Datadarts Gary Meehan 3 289 11-10-2020, 11:30 PM
Last Post: Gary Meehan
  Phil taylor phase 5 JayKay 4 273 09-26-2020, 06:35 PM
Last Post: mc1958
  Phil Taylor Darts From Home mc1958 22 1,426 06-05-2020, 10:11 AM
Last Post: barneyarmy
  Phil Taylor & The 2008 PDC World Championship LethalEagle 3 687 03-29-2020, 06:10 PM
Last Post: sjmattitude1982
  Phil Taylor phase 1-5 darts set-ups Wayne23uk 4 841 01-12-2020, 09:46 PM
Last Post: Wayne23uk
  PHIL TAYLOR, GOOD FOR DARTS! PREACHERMAN 26 1,237 09-30-2019, 04:13 AM
Last Post: PREACHERMAN