Target Darts.

Get that elbow up(please explain)
Hi watched these two Wayne Mardle videos ,where says about How important is to get your Elbow up ,but the issue I am having ,is that I really dont get what he means by it .Can you explain it a little bit more ,and tell what exactly I need to do ,to implement Wayne's advice in my game

180-1(33)
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Basically what he's trying to say is that your elbow should not be really low, because that then means you are throwing up the way, nor should it be really high, because then you're throwing down the way. Personally, i don't see this as being vital to being a good darts player, because many pros have a low elbow (michael van gerwen, adrian lewis). What is important though, is that you're elbow should stay level at all times, it shouldn't move up or down or sideways. Only move the forearm, and you should gain consistency. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think what he means is try to keep your arm parallel with the floor (as much as reasonably possible), so that your throwing motion is limited to to only elbow to fingers, taking your shoulder right out of it.

Less moving parts means less things that can go wrong.

I've always been a little confused by this "high elbow" lark as well. Not sure if I have long forearms compared to Wayne but if I hold my elbow as high as he does I'm staring at my wrist!

I think I agree with the concept of removing the shoulder movement as much as possible but if I lift my elbow too high then I snatch the dart low into the board and can't get that "long" release that's possible with a slightly lower elbow.

Wayne does stand extremely upright though, so maybe that works for him.

If MVG held his elbow up that parallel, with his leaning stance, he'd be releasing from above his bald noggin!
The better explanation would probably be to try and have your elbow at a right angle with your body, as opposed to parallel with the floor

(01-05-2017, 08:04 PM)Jugger Wrote: The better explanation would probably be to try and have your elbow at a right angle with your body, as opposed to parallel with the floor

Exactly spot on Jugger. :thumbup:
(01-05-2017, 08:04 PM)Jugger Wrote: The better explanation would probably be to try and have your elbow at a right angle with your body, as opposed to parallel with the floor

Now that does sound sensible!!!
I understand what parallel with floor means ,but what does right angle with body means I dont have a clue
180-1(33)

(01-05-2017, 10:02 PM)Troll Wrote: I understand what parallel with floor means ,but what does right angle with body means I dont have a clue

your arm will make a 90 degree angle with your body

(01-05-2017, 10:02 PM)Troll Wrote: I understand what parallel with floor means ,but what does right angle with body means I dont have a clue
Like this....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-05-2017, 10:55 PM)Jefferz Wrote:
Like this....

That's one big dart
It's a 50g dart.
(01-05-2017, 11:06 PM)Jefferz Wrote: It's a 50g dart.

Don't think those would work for Troll Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-05-2017, 10:55 PM)Jefferz Wrote:
Like this....

I would say the 90 degree should be under arm to chest as opposed to forearm to upper arm.

Glad we've cleared that up then.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Elbow help! JamesS97180 3 234 04-15-2020, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Cateye
  Is my elbow ok? Troll 4 395 09-20-2019, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Cateye
  elbow bdebbane 3 470 05-19-2019, 12:28 PM
Last Post: bdebbane
  elbow up? Spike Adams 6 991 07-08-2018, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Devil 10
  Elbow pit Troll 6 1,006 01-24-2017, 07:38 AM