Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

10,000 hours...
I was reading online about a professor who stated that to become world class in a field (sport) 10,000 hours of specific focused training was the benchmark to reach said goal.

What's people's thoughts on this? I struggle to believe that someone who has never played darts could become world class in such a relative short space of time.
I remember reading something like that too. Had something to do with table tennis?

I like this concept though. After every practice session I'm a few hours closer to being world class.
(01-05-2017, 12:14 PM)JDorks Wrote: I remember reading something like that too. Had something to do with table tennis?

I like this concept though. After every practice session I'm a few hours closer to being world class.

You and me both Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
This is darts ,and darts isnt sport ,so its 10000 pints not hours for us Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
180-1(33)
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
10000 hours isn't a short time really. You would need to practice 5 hours a day, 5 days a week for nearly 8 years to achieve this level of time input.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images." border="0" alt="resim" onload="NcodeImageResizer.createOn(this);" />
(01-05-2017, 01:47 PM)Nathan Mansfield Wrote: 10000 hours isn't a short time really. You would need to practice 5 hours a day, 5 days a week for nearly 8 years to achieve this level of time input.

I suppose, yes. I know there's a guy who quit his job to attempt the theory playing golf having never played once.
Maybe you will be interested in this read

https://jamesclear.com/deliberate-practice-strategy
Proud user of Voks MMA 22g darts - for more info on them see Getagrip's review.
(01-05-2017, 02:12 PM)MMA Wrote: Maybe you will be interested in this read

https://jamesclear.com/deliberate-practice-strategy

Some fantastic logical points in this.
We had threads about the 10K hours thing before but I am sure most people will have done more than that if they have been playing 10 years or more yet not everyone is a pro so I am not convinced it works. I am sure we can all improve but that would happen with practice anyway and your likely going to reach a point where its difficult to improve further, difficult but probably not impossible.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

But what the goal is for darts ? 80 average ?90 average ? 100+ average ?9 darter ?What mastered darts game mean?
180-1(33)

(01-05-2017, 02:52 PM)Getagrip Wrote: We had threads about the 10K hours thing before but I am sure most people will have done more than that if they have been playing 10 years or more yet not everyone is a pro so I am not convinced it works. I am sure we can all improve but that would happen with practice anyway and your likely going to reach a point where its difficult to improve further, difficult but probably not impossible.

As mentioned above, it takes longer than one might think to reach 10k hours. Playing every day 2 hours and 45 minutes for 10 years straight would just get one over the 10k hours line.

I always understood that 10k hours was something almost all experts had in common, but it wasn't the time, alone, that led to the results. From that point of view one could argue it's a necessary but (as you point out) not sufficient condition for world class mastery.
The book that cover this is "Bounce" by Matthew Syed who was an ex British table tennis player and now a journalist.

The 10,000 hours concept is meant to be "focussed practice". So just chucking darts at a 20 doesn't count and the book covers many skills, not just sport.

It all reads very well, and makes a lot of sense. Then I read Bobby George's book and he went from having his first game of darts on a fishing trip to winning the News of the World in about 4 weeks.

So I was a little confused.
I knew it had something to do with table tennis. I thought I was going crazy.
Bounce is a good book, highly recommended. As is Outliers.

The 10,000 hours idea has permeated a lot of sports that I am involved in, both as a player and coach. 10,000 itself seems like a reasonable number, but it'll take someone like me who legitimately practises on average 1hr a day, 7 days a week, ~27 years to achieve. So in that sense, yes, us mere mortals with day jobs, families, etc or those of us who have started relatively later in life aren't going to get there.

I like to think of it as a "concept" more than anything, meaning that you do the work, you get the rewards (eventually). For me this is especially true in the context of endurance sports such as running - everyone is looking for the "quick" way to be the next Mo Farah when in fact the answer is simple - lots of miles over lots of time. Darts likewise.
(01-05-2017, 03:54 PM)NickB Wrote: The book that cover this is "Bounce" by Matthew Syed who was an ex British table tennis player and now a journalist.

The 10,000 hours concept is meant to be "focussed practice". So just chucking darts at a 20 doesn't count and the book covers many skills, not just sport.

It all reads very well, and makes a lot of sense. Then I read Bobby George's book and he went from having his first game of darts on a fishing trip to winning the News of the World in about 4 weeks.

So I was a little confused.

George, Like Gary Anderson was just one of those naturals who just picked up a dart and found they had a talent for it. The brilliant thing about darts, as opposed to say football is that you can continually improve with the only ceiling, in theory, being your desire.