Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Developing a consistent throw
So I recently decided to start to get more involved with darts. I've had a board at home for a while and started flight school but didn't go too far with it. Anyway I have started again and I'm hoping to really get involved in the game. Would like to join a team etc. Anyway my question is this...when I first started I l just threw the darts naturally and I had ok results in terms of accuracy but didn't really follow through. Now that I have started to really want to improve I have been working on developing the smooth consistent throw that I am led to believe will be better for my game.  As a result my accuracy has suffered. Although I am getting happier with my action and follow through it i frustrating when they don't go where I want them to. In a nutshell how long did people take to develop a smooth but also accurate throw. I know this is kind of 'how long is a piece string' but I'm just trying to stop myself getting disheartened.

Thanks
If darts always went where people wanted them to go we'd all be hitting 9 darters....   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Short answer is that it involves a lot of consistent, focused practise over a long period of time. Flight School A1 is a great drill for just working the action in a relatively low pressure setting, at least for me.
Well I think your an example just like me of the dilemma that happens when we want to go that next step further, I originally stuck with my natural throw and it was nothing like it is now but I started to get good with it. After I came back from injuring my shoulder it did not seem the same really, but I tried and tried to go back to what it was originally like and it just did not happen.

So I thought I had better look to building a new one.

Now it is nearly 6 years later and I still don't feel I throw as well as I did with my natural throw but I have improved a lot over the last 2 years but after many trials and testing of different stances and arm action and follow through etc I would say its took me at least 3 years to get the current throw as it is but I am still working on improving it, of course I had another accident when I broke my hand which set me back a bit and I often miss for a few weeks at a time for various other aches and pains so I would say if I added up all the time together it has took around 2 years and then the rest has just been me trying to improve slowly.

But everyone is different, you may take a few months but its a tough thing to do going against what feels natural and I think we sometimes think the answer to improving is to change something in the throw when sometimes its probably best to stick with what we have and just practice until we get better with it. I was a very casual player for years before I finally decided to try and get good, I never thought I would even hit a 180 but I said to myself one day "I am going to really practice hard and see if I can get better" and that is all I did, my throw stayed the same, it was a kind of flicky upward thrust, hard to explain but it looked awful lol but that was all I did, I just increased my practice from a casual 30 to 45 mins a day to a more focused 2 to 3 hours and within a couple of weeks I hit my first 180 and many more quickly followed, if it was not for me having the Mountain Bike accident my throw will still be the same and I would probably be even better now than I was then.

So who knows, you may be best to stick with you natural throw, its the toughest thing to consider in darts, it could go either way, changing now may mean you struggle for a while but then it may click and you improve a lot or you may make things worse and mess up your natural throw too, personally I would be inclined to stick with how you were before.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
My throw is much better now but I’m always making a conscious effort to keep it fluid.  It’s easy for me to lose it so it’s a constant and every day battle (sounds like an addiction, lol).    

As far as how long it took me?   I’d say the past two months or so is when I really honed in on my form.  That in my opinion is the main thing, FORM.  Not where darts land.   Although I’m not exactly where I want my throw to be, I am  closer than I was before.   The below thread for mcockrell  changed my game tremendously.  It is the best darts advise I read on this forum or found anywhere.

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...+concerned

So, focus more on deliberate practice.  It’s boring and grueling but it will skyrocket your game.  Be patient as well.  Good luck!
(01-04-2017, 10:07 PM)Roberts7286 Wrote: So I recently decided to start to get more involved with darts. I've had a board at home for a while and started flight school but didn't go too far with it. Anyway I have started again and I'm hoping to really get involved in the game. Would like to join a team etc. Anyway my question is this...when I first started I l just threw the darts naturally and I had ok results in terms of accuracy but didn't really follow through. Now that I have started to really want to improve I have been working on developing the smooth consistent throw that I am led to believe will be better for my game.  As a result my accuracy has suffered. Although I am getting happier with my action and follow through it i frustrating when they don't go where I want them to. In a nutshell how long did people take to develop a smooth but also accurate throw. I know this is kind of 'how long is a piece string' but I'm just trying to stop myself getting disheartened.

Thanks

I'm in the same boat more or less.  I threw casually a number of years  back and recently decided to get a bit more serious about it, hoping to eventually compete a bit.  In addition to my 30 year old, very light, tungsten darts, I bought a few sets of darts of varying weights since there aren't any places I could find to test darts before buying them here in Maryland.  I've been practicing a short while, an hour or so almost daily for the last couple months, working on my stance, arm position, motion, release, etc.  I settled on a comfortable stance and motion, and seem to have found the proper and accurate release, but repeating it more than a couple/few darts at a time has proven to be a challenge.  It's taken a couple months to get to this point.

I had my wife video my throws from the side and I also set the phone on record and set it upright at the bottom of the dartboard cabinet and recorded my throws from the front.  The phone allowed me to essentially examine the throws frame by frame.  I put a small piece of blue masking tape over the screen and under the area of my elbow to see if my elbow was dropping.  As I threw, I'd say out loud, "good", "excellent (treble 20)", "right", "left", "down and left", etc to get an idea of accuracy versus my form and release.  I found so far that my elbow, forearm and such are pretty consistent, but my fingers with the release seem to be the main culprit when I throw less than accurate darts.  On the inaccurate darts, I noticed my fingers after release more or less folding in toward my palm, versus staying open. I also let my wrist follow through, so to speak (not so much snapping) on the better throws and my fingers were open and generally pointed toward the aiming point.  I developed somewhat of a feel for what seems to be my best form, but again, repeating it for any number of throws is the frustrating part.  Creating solid muscle memory seems to be the element that will require the serious time investment.

When I feel my form may begin to suffer in trying to nail it down after practicing a while, I try for three more decent darts and end there on a good note. 

In short, I'm guessing it'll be months worth of steady commitment to be reliably accurate.  Have fun with it, otherwise it'll drive you nuts to throw a 140 with three darts and then 31 with the next three.

Also, go to the bar/pub and play for fun with some friends.  I found even that little bit of competition adds another element of difficulty not found in my family room.

JD
Favorite Darts (For Now):  Target Precision Ariane - 20g
Other Darts Owned:
- Accudart - (Don't Recall Model - Purchased in Late 80's) - 17g
- US Darts Fuzion Ringed Grip - 19g
- Unicorn World Champion van Barneveld, Silver Natural Phase 1 - 21g
- Unknown Brand Purchased a Few Years Ago - 22g
- Unicorn Phil Taylor Phase 2, Natural - 24g

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Consistent inconsistency? Dorian 32 6,844 10-17-2020, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Dutcho