Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Setup length waffle...
I've ran the gambit when it comes with setups on barrels as most of you Nutz have. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Long barrels with short/midi/med./long stems, short barrels with short/midi/med/long stems and everything in-between. 

Was watching an old video of Fordham back in the day where John Part commented that Andy at times is at a disadvantage due to his setup being so short.  Andy used/uses approx. 36 mil barrels with short stems.  Part was on about being so short that he's apt to have more deflections as there's not much room between the flight and board.  It's an interesting thought and had me thinking is there an optimum setup.

I've not thrown much with my bullets and short stems, but have a bit today and I've not really noticed any more deflections than normal.  I've used long barrels with long-ish stems and it's pretty much the same.  

So what do the fine Nutz here think and what's your thoughts/ideas and overall insight on this?
Have a good one Nutz and good darting. :arrows:
Had a go yesterday with my Raiders and short stems + standard flights. Didn't really notice much of a difference either.
I can see his point I guess, but I've never really used bullets with short stems I always use tweenie or medium just because the balance feels better to me
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-04-2017, 09:42 PM)joeriw96 Wrote: Had a go yesterday with my Raiders and short stems + standard flights. Didn't really notice much of a difference either.

Okay then, how did you get on with that setup?  If well would you stick with it?

Was throwing my Mirage's a little while ago with short nylon's/std. flights and were great.  Grouping was fine and other than dart being a wee bit swifter in the air and a bit tail up more than usual, all's good. :thumbup:

Years ago if you said I'd be using 36 mil bullets with short stems I'd have a good old laugh. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Not too much different than with mediums and pears, just landed slightly sideways. Not sure if I'd stick with this setup but they're a bit too light for me anyway.
(01-04-2017, 09:53 PM)Great White North Wrote:
(01-04-2017, 09:42 PM)joeriw96 Wrote: Had a go yesterday with my Raiders and short stems + standard flights. Didn't really notice much of a difference either.

Okay then, how did you get on with that setup?  If well would you stick with it?

Was throwing my Mirage's a little while ago with short nylon's/std. flights and were great.  Grouping was fine and other than dart being a wee bit swifter in the air and a bit tail up more than usual, all's good. :thumbup:

Years ago if you said I'd be using 36 mil bullets with short stems I'd have a good old laugh. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
See what happens when you watch John Lowe and Andy Fordham videos on YouTube .  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Match Darts=Target Darryl Fitton,s® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? ®

And..A few sets of spares .®   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Cheers,
 Ken 
Like most of my answer to most questions it's all preference lol, tho my best friend at one point used a set up that was just short of 10 1/4 inches long and he was playing the best darts he ever played making it to the provincals for a few years, i aslo think when you get tot he level pro's throw at i dont think there's many set ups or darts you can't throw
(01-04-2017, 10:03 PM)The G Wrote: Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
See what happens when you watch John Lowe and Andy Fordham videos on YouTube .  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Other than growing a beard (Andy) and now not blinking (Lowe) plus throwing bullets, all's normal. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I bought some of those 66mm (I think) points from Darts Clearance and boy do they keep that triple open haha
So I see his point, but I don;t think it would make an astronomical difference unless you went to the extreme.
Current Setup: 22g Reddragon Dragonflys
From Ontario, Canada
Best game: 11 darts
Instagram: @weswrestle10 
It may be a matter of experience or skill-------I'm just happy if any part sticks to the board, no matter what's currently attached to it (attachments can and do on occasion-at least in my house-include small four footed fur faces----sigh).  Sometimes "their" Darts are better than mine.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-04-2017, 10:33 PM)weswrestle10 Wrote: I bought some of those 66mm (I think) points from Darts Clearance and boy do they keep that triple open haha
So I see his point, but I don;t think it would make an astronomical difference unless you went to the extreme.

Good call on adding points to the discussion. Short points could cause the same problem suggested by the short setup . . . hard to get everything to fit in a small bed.

GWN, I feel like I've seen from other posts you aren't fond of short points. Is it for this reason? That it puts the nose of the dart too close to the board and thus takes up room?
(01-04-2017, 09:36 PM)Great White North Wrote: I've not thrown much with my bullets and short stems, but have a bit today and I've not really noticed any more deflections than normal.  I've used long barrels with long-ish stems and it's pretty much the same.  

So what do the fine Nutz here think and what's your thoughts/ideas and overall insight on this?
Have a good one Nutz and good darting. :arrows:

I definitely find that when I put short stems onto my bullets I get less deflections.  Mainly because the overall setup is so short that the flight is sticking into the back of my hand and I can't actually throw them.... Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-04-2017, 10:47 PM)drolmaeye Wrote: Good call on adding points to the discussion.  Short points could cause the same problem suggested by the short setup . . . hard to get everything to fit in a small bed.

GWN, I feel like I've seen from other posts you aren't fond of short points.  Is it for this reason?  That it puts the nose of the dart too close to the board and thus takes up room?

There's two schools of thought there, long points as you keenly mentioned keep the barrel back and allow for more room.  Some prefer shorter points as the dart is more solid in the sisal and not hitting the backing board.  

I've used points from 51 mil done to 32 mil and I do prefer them around the 36-38 mil length tbh.  However I've got shorter Storms in one set of my Rasta's (Thanks Chris.) and they're just fine.

The flight is going to cause more deflection than any other part IMO and most others I'd say.  That said, what's the optimum length as the threads about, farther back from the board seems to make more sense one would think.  However after throwing with short stems on wee barrels today I've not found a difference.  

Comes down to of course what setup works best  for the individual regardless of deflections which are a part of the game, "Rub of the green as it were.".

Just waffle on my part and curious/nosy on other Nutz views as well. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-04-2017, 10:12 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: Like most of my answer to most questions it's all preference lol, tho my best friend at one point used a set up that was just short of 10 1/4 inches long and he was playing the best darts he ever played making it to the provincals for a few years, i aslo think when you get tot he level pro's throw at i dont think there's many set ups or darts you can't throw

That's long, believe I had a setup going around 8 1/4 or so inches awhile back and it was excessive yet worked really well.  That was tip of point to back of flight of course.

I was throwing long/narrow barrels really well till I went on a holiday season bullet frenzy.  Liking the lil buggers atm and even giving them a go at league this evening.  We'll know the true form once "under fire" as they say. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-04-2017, 10:52 PM)wongerchi Wrote: I definitely find that when I put short stems onto my bullets I get less deflections.  Mainly because the overall setup is so short that the flight is sticking into the back of my hand and I can't actually throw them.... Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

You're funny Wonger, I'd suggest you stay in the lab at the hospital rather than the comedy stage however. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.