Shot Darts

Painful positioning
I recently got back into playing darts and have really hit the ground running. It didn't feel like I hadn't picked them up in a year at all. I put that down to reverting back to my old way of standing, however the same problem has arisen.

Now I basically stand very similar to MvG, foot almost side on, lean forward with my left foot pointed for balance. The issue is the pain that I get in my right leg after awhile. Now I know most of the pressure is on it but I can't quite understand it.

It could be that I simply need to stretch, get a little fitter (walk a little more) or that my body will simply strengthen and get used to it. However I thought I'd ask as I'm hoping someone had a similar issue and found a simple solution.

Many thanks.
The only solution is to stand in a way that does not hurt; sounds simple but it isn't. I started by standing up almost straight like Gary Anderson and with my front foot perpendicular to my body and it hurt. Then I started putting my foot at a slight angle, and leaning in a bit... Pain gone! Don't be afraid to change something. This took me some months to figure out by just trying different methods. You may even have to relearn your throw!

Also, I cannot see how your body developed, but weight changes can be a factor. Perhaps your balance changed due to these weight changes, which could make certein stances hurt more.
Match Darts: Target Phil Taylor gen 3, 22 g
Best 501:
19 darts
180s (2017):
 91/60

180s (2018): 87
180s (2019): 7

I had this problem when I first started playing. As most of pros stand foot side on I wanted to replicate that style, but I found it very uncomfortable to twist my body. I stand not quite straight on, but with my foot at at a 45 degree angle which feels much more natural.
I really don't want to change my position though. When I tried it made me give up on the game as I just could not play naturally. As soon as pI revert back I literally cannot miss sometimes. I guess I might try getting a little healthier and doing weights on my legs to strengthen the muscles. Sounds ridiculous but I'd rather be in agony and throw well then be comfortable and awful.
If your left foot is pointed basically just for balance, then that means almost all your weight is on your right foot. The fact it's positioned the way it is and your body is torqued to boot, it's no wonder you are experiencing leg pain.

You don't give any info as to your physical conditioning other than you are thinking about doing weighted leg exercises to see if that helps. If you are overweight and not very physical, then these things are to be expected. MVG has been using that stance over 10 years between youth darts and his pro career, so he's conditioned to it even though he's gained 50+ lbs. in that time. Obviously for you to take up the game again and use that stance is not working out for you. You can grin and bear it and hope your body acclimates to it, change your stance or simply get on some type fitness program to strengthen your legs to endure the time at the oche.
I would make sure , before starting any other activities , to stand in a way where i feel no strain, pain or other discomfort. That would be my basis, way before trying to develop a proper and technically sound throw. Don't twitch, twist, turn just to imitate someone's stance. MvG will retire way before he reaches Taylor's age, just because the strain he puts on hes elbow / back / shoulder is too much.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Like gada said above, finding a comfortable stance is the first step, then the throw will follow
You'd be surprised how quickly and easily your throw will develop when everything is flowing naturally and comfortably
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
yeah I would stand like that and get pain in my knee, but I can throw better that way but the pain meant I had to change it to a more square stance which results in more 5's scored, how MVG has not had any problems so far is a mystery to me ?

But yesterday I tried going back to that style and first dart was straight in the middle of T20 I only tried it for that one throw as a test but then later on I tried it again and nearly hit a 180 but straight away I felt the twinge in my knee so not sure I want to try it again, I have too many joint problems as it is so I don't want to not be able to throw at all.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

First of all forums are no place to sort out medical problems. Not being awkward, just stopping you hurting yourself
so you can't stand and play darts. Find out if there is a serious underlying problem before you decide it's fitness based.
Find a comfy stance and everything else will follow in time. I'd rather throw everyday for the next 30yrs than have to
give up in 18 months because of a medical problem/to much pain.
Appreciate the help everyone, some very valid points to take on board. I decided to stand a little more upright with only a small lean in and so far I have found it more comfortable. My throw doesn't seem to have been effected too much either so hopefully this can continue.

Now the only thing to wince at is the treble 1's!
LOL I am sure it will improve
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Changing soft tip bullseye positioning habits cgolf 1 267 01-22-2019, 06:08 PM
Last Post: Baloos