Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Cricket
Does playing cricket improve your 01 game?
I'd say to some extend it can help improve your shots at the cricket numbers, especially if you are proficient at hitting trebles for high marks per round in the game.

If you are playing 501 and wind up with 97 or 94 out and you can hit T-19 or T-18 with regularity, then it is a help to be able to have 2 darts at an out shot.

But doing well in Cricket won't do much for the trebles you don't normally throw at.

Edited to add this: The league I have played in over the years has for a last game of the night a corkers choice of 3 man 801 or 3 man Super Cricket. In Super Cricket you use the regular Cricket numbers, but also add the 14, 13 and 12 into the mix. But at most, that game is probably played only half the time in league play over a 10 week period as the other half could be 801.
As some one who has no knowledge & has never played Cricket Darts could a player of this game give some info as to why this form of darts seems more popular than what I would describe as the game of darts an 01 number to zero with a double to finish I ask this as I have a US friend who lives in France & plays in the local league & bemoans the fact that none or very few US players figure in the top ranks of the PDC & other dart organizations He thinks it's because the play cricket more than 501 If this is so why Thanks
Must resist ...j.d. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I'm going to say no. If it did help I'm sure you would see more cricket players mixing it up in the PDC.
(01-04-2017, 05:06 PM)JDorks Wrote: I'm going to say no. If it did help I'm sure you would see more cricket players mixing it up in the PDC.

Like I said in my first post to this thread, I believe it can help, especially if you play a lot of Super Cricket.    Cricket puts a premium on trebles if your aim is to get very good at the game and some of that can cross over into the 01 side of darts.

I think the biggest problem for US players is the lack of long format tournaments when it comes to what passes for our pro tour.  Many times it is simply the best of 3 and that doesn't allow for players to get settled into their stride in many instances.    You see this on the PDC tour where you sometimes have big upsets in the early rounds of tournaments where all it takes is for a qualifier to be hot and an established pro to have a bit of an off day-----then it's "Taxi".

It is my understanding that there is a longer format 501 tour that has started in the States, but I can't think of any place remotely close to my city that plays that format.
(01-04-2017, 10:03 AM)Little al Wrote: As some one who has no knowledge & has never played Cricket Darts could a player of this game give some info as to why this form of darts seems more popular than what I would describe as the game of darts an 01  number to zero with a double to finish  I ask this as I have a US friend who lives in France & plays in the local league & bemoans the fact that none or very few US players figure in the top ranks of the PDC & other dart organizations He thinks it's because the play cricket more than 501 If this is so why Thanks

I'll try to tackle this as best I can.    If you talk to many league players, and casual players alike, they will often say 501 is simply boring to play.   Their concept of it is all one does is try to hit as many 20's per turn to get to an out and then take it out as quickly as possible.   They really don't know the nuances of the game, especially when it comes to setting up reasonable out shots.   I see it all the time in league play and from some of the longer term players too, not just the new guys.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen players with 119 or 123 left and they are throwing the first dart at 20's.  

As for the second half of your post, see my previous one.
Cricket is a fun game for a change of pace. I like to sometimes play against the computer.

Will it make you better at 501? Yes. Every single dart thrown at a target makes you better. Does it make you better than playing 501 or another routine like 61-up? Nope.

(01-04-2017, 04:54 AM)gumbo2176 Wrote: I'd say to some extend it can help improve your shots at the cricket numbers, especially if you are proficient at hitting trebles for high marks per round in the game.

If you are playing 501 and wind up with 97 or 94 out and you can hit T-19 or T-18 with regularity, then it is a help to be able to have 2 darts at an out shot.

But doing well in Cricket won't do much for the trebles you don't normally throw at.

Edited to add this:     The league I have played in over the years has for a last game of the night a corkers choice of 3 man 801 or 3 man Super Cricket.   In Super Cricket you use the regular Cricket numbers, but also add the 14, 13 and 12 into the mix.   But at most, that game is probably played only half the time in league play over a 10 week period as the other half  could be 801.

That is a great variant.  Like you I think Cricket is great for setup treble practise, which is how I use it (and when I play cricket "count-up") I go from T20-T12.  If I'm down the pub and someone wants to play Cricket I will as a change of pace (although I always suggest Chicago format first).

I have heard some proponents of Cricket say that "all numbers count in 501" whereas not all the numbers count in cricket.  Therefore cricket has "less margin for error." I gave up trying to explain the importance of proper setup shooting to them.
(01-04-2017, 05:19 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(01-04-2017, 10:03 AM)Little al Wrote: As some one who has no knowledge & has never played Cricket Darts could a player of this game give some info as to why this form of darts seems more popular than what I would describe as the game of darts an 01  number to zero with a double to finish  I ask this as I have a US friend who lives in France & plays in the local league & bemoans the fact that none or very few US players figure in the top ranks of the PDC & other dart organizations He thinks it's because the play cricket more than 501 If this is so why Thanks

I'll try to tackle this as best I can.    If you talk to many league players, and casual players alike, they will often say 501 is simply boring to play.   Their concept of it is all one does is try to hit as many 20's per turn to get to an out and then take it out as quickly as possible.   They really don't know the nuances of the game, especially when it comes to setting up reasonable out shots.   I see it all the time in league play and from some of the longer term players too, not just the new guys.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen players with 119 or 123 left and they are throwing the first dart at 20's.  

As for the second half of your post, see my previous one.

100% agree with you here players in my local pub and leagues don't know their out shouts.  There is much to much Cricket being played which is bad because it does not help your 501 game one bit.  Cricket is the most popular game in my area which is sad because 501 is a much better game.
(01-04-2017, 05:13 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(01-04-2017, 05:06 PM)JDorks Wrote: I'm going to say no. If it did help I'm sure you would see more cricket players mixing it up in the PDC.

Like I said in my first post to this thread, I believe it can help, especially if you play a lot of Super Cricket.    Cricket puts a premium on trebles if your aim is to get very good at the game and some of that can cross over into the 01 side of darts.

I think the biggest problem for US players is the lack of long format tournaments when it comes to what passes for our pro tour.  Many times it is simply the best of 3 and that doesn't allow for players to get settled into their stride in many instances.    You see this on the PDC tour where you sometimes have big upsets in the early rounds of tournaments where all it takes is for a qualifier to be hot and an established pro to have a bit of an off day-----then it's "Taxi".

It is my understanding that there is a longer format 501 tour that has started in the States, but I can't think of any place remotely close to my city that plays that format.

CDC is the group trying to get long format 501 more popular - and my local area has a long format 501 league setup and going now - 3 Sets best of 9 each set - 

As to the OP - I believe playing cricket can definitely benefit your 501 game if for no other reason than you cover shots will be better and some of your lower level out shots will be more familiar, outs like 72 - 94 where you need a triple 16,17,18,19 to get you setup on a preferred double for finish.
Playing 501 helps your 501 game. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

It can help with 20-15 hitting, but outshots and lower numbers are better practiced through 01 and other regimes IMO.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
The Super Cricket mentioned is An Arachnid game called Bermuda Triangle ,,, it is one of the many games included on the Arachnid Galaxy Bullshooter soft tip pay to play dart machines in the USA,,,,,

Game goes like this ,,12,13,14,doubles,,any double,15,16,17,triples any triple,,,,18,19,20,single bull,double bull,,,,,top score at the end wins,,,, with one caveat,,,, if you fail to get 1 dart out of three to score in the target ,, your score is reduced by half,,,, fun game,,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-05-2017, 07:31 PM)0ldjoblo Wrote: The Super Cricket mentioned is An Arachnid game called Bermuda Triangle ,,, it is one of the many games included on the Arachnid Galaxy Bullshooter soft tip pay to play dart machines in the USA,,,,,

Game goes like this ,,12,13,14,doubles,,any double,15,16,17,triples any triple,,,,18,19,20,single bull,double bull,,,,,top score at the end wins,,,, with one caveat,,,, if you fail to get 1 dart out of three to score in the target ,, your score is reduced by half,,,, fun game,,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I've played that game before a few times with newer players that showed how it was played.   It is an interesting game with a pretty heavy penalty for missed darts, especially early in the game.
(01-05-2017, 07:05 PM)Kosumo Wrote: Playing 501 helps your 501 game. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

It can help with 20-15 hitting, but outshots and lower numbers are better practiced through 01 and other regimes IMO.

I agree with this.

Most of the time you need to hit a treble in 501 you need to hit it first dart.  If you miss your shot generally changes.  There are exceptions here obviously (e.g. 122 or 126) but it's often the case. 

I'm no cricket expert but it seems to me that a visit throwing at 15s where you go S2, S10, T15 would be a good one.  In 501 with 85 left....not so much.

The main difference* between cricket and 501 is a key one.

*In cricket your misses can never do you harm, they just fail to do you any good.  In 501 you can mess yourself up with a bad last dart when your score gets down.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)