Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Noob Home Setup
Hi guys, I've been bitten by the dart bug after playing at a social dart bar in London for a friend's bday.

I would like an inexpensive but decent home board set, ideally wanted a steel tip setup, but don't want the hassle (yet) of dealing with holes in walls, doors etc so have thought about the soft tip options - apparently people have successfully used soft tip darts with standard bristle boards - is this the answer for avoiding holes in walls, doors? The electronic soft tip boards on Amazon all have mixed reviews, don't have the money to plump for e.g. a good Arachnid.

Doomed to settle for something like this?

ActionDart - Soft Tip Safety Darts and Dart Board - Great Games for Kids - Leisure Sport for Office

Or could this work well?

Winmau Blade 4 Bristle Dartboard

SOFT TIP 18g TARGET PHIL TAYLOR SILVERLIGHT DARTS SET

Any advice is much appreciated.
Hello and Welcome ,,, seeing you are from the UK if I were you I would head straight for Argos and try to cash in on the Winmau Blade4/5 deal for 19.99 pounds,,, if it is still available,,, I would venture to say you will never see that price again,,, ... then with the savings get an over the door board bracket holder ,, Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Just get a foam surround, that should catch most stray darts.
Steel Tip: 
Monster The Cobra II, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Jelle Klaasen Champagne flights
Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core
PB 501, 13 darts on July 18, 2018
PB 301, 6 darts on September 24, 2017
Soft Tip: 
Monster Rapier IV MG, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Haruki Muramatsu Ver.3 Champagne flights
Hi Darts
Hello mate welcome to the forum. If you don't want to spend a fortune this board will do you
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3008528

And you can make a surround out of some cardboard and newspaper see this thread : https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...e+surround

Or for a cheap soft tip alternative:

https://www.sportsdirect.com/unicorn-ele...e=76523090

I can recommend the unicorn soft tip board as it's a cheap no frills board that lasts well and has quiet a few modes built in and I had one up at work for months and never had a problem with it (i work in a garage so you can imagine the abuse it took)

Hope some of this helps Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. also where abouts in the London area are you there's loads of great places to play some darts
GranID: GazzaB82 
              (The Biscuit) 
www.custommadedarts.com  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
You may want to try a similar set up to mine, which is a massive pinboard, dartboard and surround in the middle. It does involve 4 rather large wall plugs, but you're guaranteed (no guarantee included) to not hit the wall, assuming a certain level of sobriety. Pics pending Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
From my own experience, soft tip points won't help :-)

I have a DIY surround too but I made it because there is a lighting mounted above my dartboard which I would have to remake should I wanted to use the original surround and also shipping from the UK to Czech republic is about half of the price of the surround itself.What is more, I use my surround as a notepad :-)

Definitelly, don't think twice about it and go and buy some fancy Winmau surround. We bought a few to the pub where we play darts and it looks very nice and I believe you will appreciate it!

Here's our pub...we have it mounted on a wooden desk covered with the green outdoor carpet. The desk and carpet cost less than four surrounds. Actually, less than two...
You can buy it in other colours as well. After we had installed it in the pub many players liked it and bought surrounds to their homes too.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I just bought one of these a few weeks back. I can't believe how nice they are.
Really appreciate the responses guys. So no-no on the soft tips? Was just watching this on youtube and the guy seemed pretty satisfied to me by the end, with a bristle board:

https://youtu.be/lX_IUdBCZhw?t=13m34s

(01-01-2017, 08:03 PM)Gazzabnorthern Wrote: Or for a cheap soft tip alternative:

https://www.sportsdirect.com/unicorn-ele...e=76523090

I can recommend the unicorn soft tip board as it's a cheap no frills board that lasts well and has quiet a few modes built in and I had one up at work for months and never had a problem with it (i work in a garage so you can imagine the abuse it took)

Thanks mate, looking at the reviews here though don't give me too much confidence, plus I'd like to use weightier darts. I'm in NW London but would still like to play at home!
Soft tip will put holes in your wall too.
Hello and welcome aboard! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Soft tips will work on a steel tip board for sure but if your really going to play darts with a steel tip board then your best to get some steel tips.

You can get a sheet of hard board to fix to the wall then put the board on top, will work just as well and will just be a few quid.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(01-02-2017, 12:58 AM)AlCoholic Wrote: Soft tip will put holes in your wall too.

Really? Plastic? I don't plan on launching them with that much power, and my walls are solid as opposed to those hollow drywall builds in new houses. Would I have the same issue with wood, attaching the board to the side of a wooden wardrobe?
(01-02-2017, 11:39 AM)wassupjg Wrote:
(01-02-2017, 12:58 AM)AlCoholic Wrote: Soft tip will put holes in your wall too.

Really? Plastic? I don't plan on launching them with that much power, and my walls are solid as opposed to those hollow drywall builds in new houses. Would I have the same issue with wood, attaching the board to the side of a wooden wardrobe?

I doubt soft tips would put a hole in a solid brick wall Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. I think you'll be fine
GranID: GazzaB82 
              (The Biscuit) 
www.custommadedarts.com  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
They will put holes/dents in wood though, plastered walls too.
welcome along wassup
I use a unicorn dartmate stand got it with a board for £90 of ebay
DARTS-Unicorn Taylor Phase 5 / Target Gen1 26g (why change for something else that probably doesn't work lol)
SHAFTS-Target power gen 1 intermediate
FLIGHTS-Crafty Cockney
BOARD-Winmau blade 5 dual core
BOARD-Winmau Diamond (for practice)
BOARD-unicorn eclipse HD trainer board (for a laugh)
SET UP-Wall mounted cabinet,"Ockeys" Oche,Target Corona surround light
HOWAY THE LADS Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 

(01-02-2017, 12:47 PM)Gazzabnorthern Wrote:
(01-02-2017, 11:39 AM)wassupjg Wrote:

I doubt soft tips would put a hole in a solid brick wall Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. I think you'll be fine

I lived in a prefab (made of concrete) and believe me, there were marks on the wall when I put down a dartboard and all those old posters I had on the wall long time before the dartboard was mounted. You could even see where my favourte double had been placed .-) Mind there is also a paint on the wall and if there is more than one layer of the paint, the marks are even deeper.

BTW, I would say I am a good player but theer is a few marks on the wall even though I have a surround now... not talking about marks on the furniture around :-)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Noob with some Gran Board questions jaythom1 3 3,640 08-27-2020, 08:09 PM
Last Post: 3inabed