Target Darts.

Steel and Soft
I'm looking to get back into darts after quite a few years off.   I like playing on the soft tip machines in the bars.  I went to a local store to buy an Arachnid setup.  In the store I tried it out and it was stunnngly loud every time a dart hit.  It was overwhelming. 

So I could get a cork board and throw steel at home.  Not a big deal.

But when I go to the bars I would need a separate set of darts for the machines.  Seems I would practice at home with a completely different setup.

Naturally I would like to have some consistency between the two.

Any advice?  Should I just deal with the noise at home and get an Arachnid?  Or put up a steel dart setup at home?  Maybe it's no big deal to practice with heavy darts at home and throw light darts when I'm out.

I can buy 2 sets of darts, one steel set for home and one soft tip for the machines.  But seems like it will be tough to switch between them and be effective.

Thanks
I had the same problem early on. The easy fix is to choose your soft tip darts and buy steel conversion points for them. They screw in just like the soft tips. Otherwise look at a different soft tip board. I have a Viper board and the volume is adjustable. If it is the noise of the darts hitting the board that is the problem some of the more expensive soft tip boards are a bit quieter.

One advantage of practicing on a steel tip board and playing on a soft tip is that the scoring bits are smaller on the steel board so you will likely do much better when you play in the bar!!
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

Hello Fleet, welcome to the Nutz forum. :hithere:

As Ranger mentioned get some conversion points for your darts, here's some by Target...

https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_in...s_id=20300

There's two sizes, 26 and 30 mil plus three colors (gold/black/silver).
To add to GWN's reply if you have a softer board like a Blade 4 you can throw soft tips at the board and they will stick
You can use soft tip points on your sisal dartboard either. These points will get shorter and also get sharper after a day or two and you wouldn't be able to use the same set of points on the soft tip machines because they'll also get thinner a bit. Anyway, it still works quite ok this way. I'd recommend some lighter board then, maybe Blade 4, definitelly not the hard Bulls' boards...which are my personal choice otherwise. But I prefer playing steel tips over soft tips although I play both. However, I have used the soft tips on my old sisal dartboard for years. It was the best advice I got from the seller back in 1998, to buy this silent dartboard. Now I only practice steel tips and I don't practice soft tips anymore.

A better way is to buy some carbon Hard Lip points. They're only a fraction heavier than plastci tips but last much longer and don't bend after a while...

Well, what I wrote above was meant more or less for hardcore soft tip players. Otherwise the titanium points are better option to use. They're a bit heavier though. The iron points are even better durabilitywise but you'd have to find some light ones. And you still won't have the same weight as with the soft tip set up.
Here are the hard lips...

https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_in...ts_id=9831

I can't believe I have recommended these points on this forum twice within two days while I tell all my mates here who I play steel tips with not to buy them :-)
Nothing wrong with using soft tip points on a Bristle Steel tip board,,, and as for the noise level of soft tips hitting the home soft tip board ,,,you would be surprised to hear that different soft tips are softer and some are louder ,,, a softer plastic soft tip is actually quite a bit softer ,, where a hard plastic tip bangs with authority,,,, Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The L-Style Carbon Lip Points are great for getting the exact weight point in a soft tip conversion point,,, but will wear out faster than a plastic tip on the same sisal board ,,, plus they are not cheap,,, Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.,,,, The Best soft tip IMHO is the Cosmo Fit Point Plus ,, the come in a pack of 50 and choice of colors,,,, They are a harder soft tip ,,,but will last what seems like forever it seems for soft tips,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

and ,,Welcome to the Nutz house,,,, Enjoy,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Is there a big difference between playing on a bristle board or on a soft dart board?
I want to practice and learn to dart on a bristle board, but occasionaly I will play on a soft dart board with a friend maybe once a month. Will it be that I suck big time with the lighter darts on the soft board? I haven't planned to buy a soft darts set in the near future. And the Blade 5 DC is too hard to throw with soft darts on it I guess.
(01-03-2017, 08:47 PM)flotho2004 Wrote: Is there a big difference between playing on a bristle board or on a soft dart board?

Ask your neighbours :-)

Other than that, not really. As I see it, the issue starts when you become pretty good at one and you kind of struggle at the other. Most players struggle on both so there is not such a difference .-)

Here where I live, there's more soft tip players around and they often struggle with heavier darts. I see it the other way round. I personally practice only steel tips and it usually takes me a while to get use to the lighter darts when I play soft tip tournaments. But after I somehow have gone through two or three rounds in a tournament I usually start playing better, almost as well as with the steel tips.
Other think is that heavier darts seem to be more forgiving your nerves etc. which is a thing you shouldn't be struggling with that much when playing with friends.
(01-01-2017, 06:39 PM)0ldjoblo Wrote: Nothing wrong with using soft tip points on a Bristle Steel tip board,,, and as for the noise level of soft tips hitting the home soft tip board ,,,you would be surprised to hear that different soft tips are softer and some are louder ,,, a softer plastic soft tip is actually quite a bit softer ,, where a hard plastic tip bangs with authority,,,, Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  

The L-Style Carbon Lip Points are great for getting the exact weight point in a soft tip conversion point,,, but will wear out faster than a plastic tip on the same sisal board ,,, plus they are not cheap,,, Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.,,,, The Best soft tip IMHO is the Cosmo Fit Point Plus ,, the come in a pack of 50 and choice of colors,,,, They are a harder soft tip ,,,but will last what seems like forever it seems for soft tips,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

and ,,Welcome to the Nutz house,,,, Enjoy,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Agree. Also, US Lippoint and regular Lippoint works very well on sisal, except that US Lippoint bounce around a lot more because of it's length, but is still very durable. Need to bend back US Lippoints more often though.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-03-2017, 08:47 PM)flotho2004 Wrote: Is there a big difference between playing on a bristle board or on a soft dart board?
I want to practice and learn to dart on a bristle board, but occasionaly I will play on a soft dart board with a friend maybe once a month. Will it be that I suck big time with the lighter darts on the soft board? I haven't planned to buy a soft darts set in the near future. And the Blade 5 DC is too hard to throw with soft darts on it I guess.

There are soft tip darts up to 25g (Winmau, Shot!), and Trinidad and Dynasty have some barrels that are around 19 - 20g. I have bumped up a 17g Dynasty to over 24g with a steel conversion point that was around 1.8g. I could have bumped that Dynasty even higher say around 27g if I wanted to.

On hard boards, I sharpen and scruff my Fit Point Plus. No problem penetrating and sticking.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

So if you get a heavier double threaded barrel, and match the weight for both soft and steel tip play, it should be no issue, unless the places/leagues you play in have weight limit stipulations.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Ok thanks guys Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. I will experiment a bit and see how it turns out.
Yo uso puntas de conversión target titanium pro,dardos target 8zero 20gr, en Diana de pelo y me va genial
Hasi puedo cambiar a Diana electrónica

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Switching from soft tip to steel tip Troublewithtrebles 10 2,118 04-05-2018, 06:16 AM
Last Post: daloeh