Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Shoulder problem, what throwing technique is best
Hi!
Have been playing darts for almost 30 years.

One problem I have is that I have a stiff-shoulder problem.
The reason for this problem is likely many years of playing badminton with bad technique which resulted in some big muscles
in locations where there not should be a big muscle.

When playing darts I can not have a start position with the underarm vertical and at the same time aiming in the eye line.

So the selection I have is to either throw from beside my head (like Cullen does)
or slightly let the elbow "point" a bit to the right (like a lot of players does a bit, like Big Ben van de Pas)

I have tried both, but I am always convinced that the currently used technique not is good.

What are your opinions ?
Well you have kind of answered it already, Cullen does it and a few other players so as long as it works then don't worry about it Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(12-28-2016, 10:14 AM)Getagrip Wrote: Well you have kind of answered it already, Cullen does it and a few other players so as long as it works then don't worry about it Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Probably the last part of your advice is the best part, "don't worry" (be happy).
Have you seen a physio about it, they may recommend some way to help balance out the muscles?

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(12-28-2016, 10:33 AM)Getagrip Wrote: Have you seen a physio about it, they may recommend some way to help balance out the muscles?

30 minutes daily stretching, no table tennis, no golf is the advice I got.
Stretching helps a bit, but I will continue with both table tennis and golf
A short description of my physical condition.

If I stand up relaxed with my arms down:
The thumb on my left arm points in the same direction as my nose.
The thumb on my right arm ( the throwing arm) points 50-70 degrees to the left.

With half an hour stretching I get it down to around 20 degrees.
You ever tried yoga?

(12-28-2016, 03:38 PM)Jugger Wrote: You ever tried yoga?

No, is that something you recommend ?
I remember when I was a kid I saw some X-Ray of a Tennis players arms, I think it was Bjorn Borg and his tennis arm was so much thicker than his other it was quite amazing, I am sure its a common problem but I would have thought there was some exercises you could do to help balance out the muscles?

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Yoga is excellent for both flexibility and strength.
Because everything should be done on both sides, it should (in theory) help balance you out.

One form of yoga that I see a lot of people trying and having great success with is DDP Yoga (https://ddpyoga.com/)
It's alittle different as it adds dynamic resistance to standard yoga poses.

Thanks for the hint Jugger, I will look into Yoga a bit during the year.
(12-28-2016, 08:49 PM)Jugger Wrote: Yoga is excellent for both flexibility and strength.
Because everything should be done on both sides, it should (in theory) help balance you out.

One form of yoga that I see a lot of people trying and having great success with is DDP Yoga (https://ddpyoga.com/)
It's alittle different as it adds dynamic resistance to standard yoga poses.

DDP Yoga works really well.  There are many different level routines and DDP makes them all fun.  As someone with all kinds of health problems, I find the DDP Yoga does a great job of keeping me flexible and greatly reduces pain from overuse injuries.  It helps with weight loss too.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Broken Point Removal Technique Mezza47910 3 304 05-18-2020, 04:04 AM
Last Post: RolandAJ
  Horizontal elbow/shoulder movement MauriceDarter 7 701 07-07-2019, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Doctor Bones
  RE: Do You Have Shoulder Twitching or Slight "Chicken Wing" Movement Like Me? Dumbeedum 12 2,240 12-31-2018, 06:48 PM
Last Post: alexrs21
  Too much shoulder Nucky 7 532 12-28-2018, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Nucky
  Can’t align elbow and shoulder? Johnny99DT 7 1,091 05-31-2018, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Johnny99DT
  need opinions on a technique winkix 18 4,264 08-15-2017, 11:01 PM
Last Post: davidsproull
  Elbow/shoulder problems caused by throwing darts Flight Tenor 4 2,620 06-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Last Post: Ancient Darter
  Shoulder aching Damnno 3 754 04-23-2017, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Damnno
  Problem with throwing 19 g darts The Bullet99 16 4,510 04-29-2016, 06:24 PM
Last Post: Ancient Darter
  cotton technique patrick dargan 6 1,062 12-27-2015, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Getagrip