Harrows Darts.

Pencil Grip Issue
Hi all,

It's me again. 

I have this strange pencil grip issue that I thought perhaps could be unique to me only and want to see the expert advice here.

I am a right hander thrower with a pencil grip using my thumb and index fingers. When I drew back the dart almost touching my face area (just under my right eye) with the flight, I noticed my dart is not really perpendicular to the board. The back portion is actually slightly slanted to my right. 

So that means the dart is slightly pointing (say max. 3 degrees angle) to the left towards the board. Will it cause an issue? When i try to force my grip and stance to make my dart aiming perpendicular to the board, it makes my grip awkward and some discomfort.

So I do found my darts mostly drift to the right due to over compensation subconsciously by my right arm.

Anyway to correct this problem of mine that has been troubling for so many months? Thanks!

Dan
Move across the oche to the left so your shoulder is in line with the bull and dont stand at the ocche front on, have the left foot say back a bit and make sure your shoulders maintain the same angle without twisting. May help  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts used 25g Adrian Gray Tungsten Shot Flights XLt Stems
Best Av (Singles) : 84
Best 501 : 15 darts
Highest Checkout 2016 : 160 (T20 T20 D20)
180s Practice  2019 : 100+
180s Comp 2019 : 10 
150s Practice : 3
(12-22-2016, 04:19 PM)Dumbeedum Wrote: Hi all,

It's me again. 

I have this strange pencil grip issue that I thought perhaps could be unique to me only and want to see the expert advice here.

I am a right hander thrower with a pencil grip using my thumb and index fingers. When I drew back the dart almost touching my face area (just under my right eye) with the flight, I noticed my dart is not really perpendicular to the board. The back portion is actually slightly slanted to my right. 

So that means the dart is slightly pointing (say max. 3 degrees angle) to the left towards the board. Will it cause an issue? When i try to force my grip and stance to make my dart aiming perpendicular to the board, it makes my grip awkward and some discomfort.

So I do found my darts mostly drift to the right due to over compensation subconsciously by my right arm.

Anyway to correct this problem of mine that has been troubling for so many months? Thanks!

Dan

i think i had the same issue..

what do u do to make it perpendicular to the board??
My throw sounds very similar to yours.
I am not quite straight with the back of the dart.

I can be very good but too inconsistent and it frustrates the hell out of me.
(12-22-2016, 11:36 PM)barcrusher Wrote: Move across the oche to the left so your shoulder is in line with the bull and dont stand at the ocche front on, have the left foot say back a bit and make sure your shoulders maintain the same angle without twisting. May help  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Barcrusher has pretty much nailed this.  Slight movement left will aid in lining up so you're more perpendicular/in-line with the board on drawback.
Also, slight adjustment either way with your back leg/foot can make a huge difference too.  Remember that we're only talking slight adjustments and no more.
Be aware your balance and comfort level are proper too, getting positioned properly fundamentally wise will help and will take a bit of doing and getting acquainted with.  Be patient with it and all the best going forward. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Yep...same issue here...triple 5's galore!..miss wide on dbl 16...inside dbl 10...very frustrating.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 22 Gram Keith Deller'sGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I had the same tilt in my form and was finding the darts hitting the board at an angle. I managed to work on rotating my wrist slightly counterclockwise to make the dart more vertical when bringing it back toward my right eye (I'm also left eye dominant). The slight adjustment didn't affect my grip and I still felt comfortable.
Favorite Darts (For Now):  Target Precision Ariane - 20g
Other Darts Owned:
- Accudart - (Don't Recall Model - Purchased in Late 80's) - 17g
- US Darts Fuzion Ringed Grip - 19g
- Unicorn World Champion van Barneveld, Silver Natural Phase 1 - 21g
- Unknown Brand Purchased a Few Years Ago - 22g
- Unicorn Phil Taylor Phase 2, Natural - 24g
(02-17-2017, 07:03 PM)OAKZER Wrote: Yep...same issue here...triple 5's galore!..miss wide on dbl 16...inside dbl 10...very frustrating.

Same problem here. I don't think the fact I spin my darts helps either loads of triple 5's and 1's

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pencil Grip for those who write like a spider? Counsel 3 295 02-03-2021, 12:04 AM
Last Post: tropicalpalmtree
  Pencil test Troll 3 744 01-07-2016, 12:53 AM
Last Post: The Egg