Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Changing my favorite double from D16 to D20 and here is why …
In an attempt to get bigger scores, I’m spending more and more time practicing my T20s.   As I’m doing this, I’m paying very close attention to missed shots that hit the fat 20 and the D20.  I feel the more I do this, the more I will develop a feeling for my D20  (as a by-product).

Does this make sense and is that why most pros prefer the D20?
I would say that most pros would rather go the 32 route over the 40 route... it all comes down to numbers

32, 16, 8, 4, 2

vs.

40, 20, 10.........

I can see your logic in how throwing at 20's during scoring can help improve your accuracy overall in hitting the double 20 but I don't necessarily think that is why pros choose to go that route.
(12-21-2016, 07:26 PM)Jugger Wrote: I would say that most pros would rather go the 32 route over the 40 route... it all comes down to numbers

32, 16, 8, 4, 2

vs.

40, 20, 10.....
I couldn't disagree with you more.  From what I see from big name pros, the majority prefer that D20 over any other double ( some Dutch big names prefer D18)
(12-21-2016, 08:01 PM)Joe Dar Wrote:
(12-21-2016, 07:26 PM)Jugger Wrote: I would say that most pros would rather go the 32 route over the 40 route... it all comes down to numbers

32, 16, 8, 4, 2

vs.

40, 20, 10.....
I couldn't disagree with you more.  From what I see from big name pros, the majority prefer that D20 over any other double ( some Dutch big names prefer D18)

I guess we are watching different guys.  James Wade is the only one off hand I can think of that prefers the 40 route

(12-21-2016, 08:01 PM)Joe Dar Wrote:

32, 16, 8, 4, 2

vs.

40, 20, 10.....

I'm hesitant to speak in general terms, but I think most pros - if given one dart to win and a choice between D16 or D20 - would prefer D16. That being said, when doubling in, a majority go with D20 as it scores more points, and when doubling out, pros frequently end up on 40 left as it is the first standard double one can get to, and it breaks down easily.

Or put another way, D20 is such an important and standard double in the normal course of play that I cannot imagine any pro is afraid of it or tries to avoid it, but again, if given the choice, I think the majority would prefer to take the route from D16 on down.
Don't know about the pros but I prefer double 20
I think most pros go 16/8/4/2/1 since that's 5 shots if you miss inside each time. 20/10/5 just gives 3 and with more fall-back options the 16 way is less of a risk.

But then you look at Mensur Sujlovic who hits D14 nearly every time he looks at it and it shows it all just comes down to preference. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
I think almost every pro goes whatever way is best for the position they are in.

For example... on 52... if a guy goes for the 12, I don't think that's because they prefer D20... it's because they won't bust if they hit the T12.

(12-21-2016, 09:40 PM)Jugger Wrote: I think almost every pro goes whatever way is best for the position they are in.

For example... on 52... if a guy goes for the 12, I don't think that's because they prefer D20... it's because they won't bust if they hit the T12.

Good point Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I've seen the vast majority of pros, when playing the only double in/double out 501 tournament on the tour do prefer to double in on the D-20 to get their score started, but on doubling out, it is whatever number they are more comfortable with, and that is usually either D-20 or D-16 in many cases.

As for the players that tend to throw for D-20 most of the time, I can think of a few. Gerwyn Price, James Wade, Gary Anderson, Adrian Lewis to name a few. That said, they are certainly open to all options when it is necessary.
I think your thought/approach is off, if your hitting D20 while going T20 your fluking them so it's not practice at them you shouldn't be thinking i can hit D20 i should go D20
Properly it should be the old adage, "I like the double I'm throwing at.". Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I would agree with Jugger the pro's that tend to use exclusivly D20 are "Wadey" & the "Thorn"More seem to prefer D16 with different doubles dependant on the checkout #left