Double Top Darts.

How to increase your dart throw accuracy
Throwing a dart involves two kinds of accuracy, vertical and horizontal. The distinction is important, because the vertical and horizontal accuracy involve two different muscle groups and is acquired through different training methods.

Let's start with horizontal accuracy and define what it is. If you were to draw an horizontal line on your dartboard, the closer you would be able to aim at that line, the more horizontal accuracy you would have. 

Involved movements in horizontal accuracy is mainly the forearm extension, with minimal wrist and arm flexion. The accuracy itself depends on the coordination and speed of these movements and the time of release of the dart.

There's nothing new for you to learn about how to improve your horizontal accuracy; it's just a gross motor skill that's learned through practice and repetition. You want to train it separately from vertical accuracy as much as possible, though. 

On the dartboard, I pin multiple horizontal lines of twine of equal distance, and I'll aim repetitively at each line. 

Next is the vertical accuracy. It's defined as the precision at which you can aim at a vertical target. Physically, it depends almost entirely on your ability to restrict the rotation of you arm during your throw.

The acquisition of vertical accuracy through practice and repetition is minimal. To acquire vertical accuracy, you have to increase the stability your arm through strength training. The movement exercises involve medial and lateral shoulder rotations.  

Here's some example of exercises:
medial rotation: https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/d...l-rotation
lateral rotation: https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/d...l-rotation

You will want your strength training regimen to specifically target fast twitch muscles, as those reacts the fastest and gives your the biggest physical mass increase. (https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the...ibers.html)

In addition to the strength training, you can do similar dartboard exercises, as I suggested for increasing your horizontal accuracy, by pinning multiple vertical lines of twines, but the possible benefits and accuracy gains are much smaller than they are for horizontal accuracy.
(12-20-2016, 08:09 PM)Microtom Wrote: Throwing a dart involves two kinds of accuracy, vertical and horizontal. The distinction is important, because the vertical and horizontal accuracy involve two different muscle groups and is acquired through different training methods.

Let's start with horizontal accuracy and define what it is. If you were to draw an horizontal line on your dartboard, the closer you would be able to aim at that line, the more horizontal accuracy you would have. 

Involved movements in horizontal accuracy is mainly the forearm extension, with minimal wrist and arm flexion. The accuracy itself depends on the coordination and speed of these movements and the time of release of the dart.

There's nothing new for you to learn about how to improve your horizontal accuracy; it's just a gross motor skill that's learned through practice and repetition. You want to train it separately from vertical accuracy as much as possible, though. 

On the dartboard, I pin multiple horizontal lines of twine of equal distance, and I'll aim repetitively at each line. 

Next is the vertical accuracy. It's defined as the precision at which you can aim at a vertical target. Physically, it depends almost entirely on your ability to restrict the rotation of you arm during your throw.

The acquisition of vertical accuracy through practice and repetition is minimal. To acquire vertical accuracy, you have to increase the stability your arm through strength training. The movement exercises involve medial and lateral shoulder rotations.  

Here's some example of exercises:
medial rotation: https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/d...l-rotation
lateral rotation: https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/d...l-rotation

You will want your strength training regimen to specifically target fast twitch muscles, as those reacts the fastest and gives your the biggest physical mass increase. (https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the...ibers.html)

In addition to the strength training, you can do similar dartboard exercises, as I suggested for increasing your horizontal accuracy, by pinning multiple vertical lines of twines, but the possible benefits and accuracy gains are much smaller than they are for horizontal accuracy.
 Hi Microtom.

Very interesting topic you've raised and I believe what you say may very well prove beneficial, thank you (+1).

Seasons Greetings
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

I have a couple of questions because it's Xmas and I am a bit bored.... Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 

1) To hit a point (any) on a dartboard you need to be accurate in BOTH the X- (horizontal) and Y- (vertical) planes simultaneously. How, therefore, can they be trained "separately?"

2) What makes you think darts is predominantly fast-twitch muscle fibre sport?
slow twitch muscles are used for endurance like running, fast twitch muscles are used for explosive moves like jumping or punching,

think about when you throw a dart, your forearm snaps forward and your fingers snap away from the dart depending how you release, all of which are explosive movements, from fast twitch muscles
My question is are you human or a spambot?

Seems a rather strange post when you joined April 2013 and its taken nearly 4 years to post that?

Hope your not who I think you may be?

If you are indeed human and your not who I think you are then hello and welcome and a very interesting first post Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I don't really agree with the OP anyways....

I'm not going to break it down since this really smells like spam to me....... but I will say that training muscles for a very specific action like accuracy while throwing a dart... will not work. If someone is feeling fatigue in a specific muscle while playing, then maybe specific training could help with the fatigue.

Hmmm,,,
This is nonsense, right?
may be its Bo Jangles again?

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Sorry guys I'm too lazy to lift just to throw a dart. I will go for a run to get exercise and ride my bike to look around and help my endurance
and enjoy throwing darts just to relax a bit.
(12-21-2016, 05:51 PM)Jamesr4300 Wrote: slow twitch muscles are used for endurance like running, fast twitch muscles are used for explosive moves like jumping or punching,

think about when you throw a dart, your forearm snaps forward and your fingers snap away from the dart depending how you release, all of which are explosive movements, from fast twitch muscles

I instinctively thought this too but the more I think about it, the more darts feels like my other sport (cycling), which is slow-twitch dependent even for a "sprinter" like myself, rather than a explosive sport, like say the 100m, or powerlifting.

Running 100m all out, full gas, is a relatively short duration activity, which then requires a lot of rest before you can repeat the effort. This is very much fast-twitch muscle fiber dependent as that's what they do - generate lots of power, but fatigue easily.  In contrast, riding your bike for 2-3hrs requires muscle fiber groups which exert relatively little power but can go all day, which is what slow-twitch muscle fibers do.

In terms of throwing something, if you are going to try and hurl a cricket ball 50+m you are going to recruit fast-twitch fibers because you need a lot of power.  But you then need a bit of a rest before you could even attempt to do it again. 

In darts you are throwing at something that is relatively close (2.37m) and something really light relative to you (1 of my darts is 0.0003% my bodyweight) and with your natural arm speed so you don't require a lot of effort to do it.  Moreover, you are repeating this motion over and over and over again - say 1 visit every 10 seconds, is 18 darts every minute, 1080 darts an hour. 

While I have no doubt that throwing a dart requires some level of fast-twitch fiber recruitment (and maybe the muscle fiber makeup of your arm determines natural throw power) it seems to me that it's a predominantly slow-twitch activity. 

I think the consensus is that the OP is on crack, now am I on it as well (highly likely)?  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(12-23-2016, 05:52 PM)wongerchi Wrote: I instinctively thought this too but the more I think about it, the more darts feels like my other sport (cycling), which is slow-twitch dependent even for a "sprinter" like myself, rather than a explosive sport, like say the 100m, or powerlifting.

Running 100m all out, full gas, is a relatively short duration activity, which then requires a lot of rest before you can repeat the effort. This is very much fast-twitch muscle fiber dependent as that's what they do - generate lots of power, but fatigue easily.  In contrast, riding your bike for 2-3hrs requires muscle fiber groups which exert relatively little power but can go all day, which is what slow-twitch muscle fibers do.

In terms of throwing something, if you are going to try and hurl a cricket ball 50+m you are going to recruit fast-twitch fibers because you need a lot of power.  But you then need a bit of a rest before you could even attempt to do it again. 

In darts you are throwing at something that is relatively close (2.37m) and something really light relative to you (1 of my darts is 0.0003% my bodyweight) and with your natural arm speed so you don't require a lot of effort to do it.  Moreover, you are repeating this motion over and over and over again - say 1 visit every 10 seconds, is 18 darts every minute, 1080 darts an hour. 

While I have no doubt that throwing a dart requires some level of fast-twitch fiber recruitment (and maybe the muscle fiber makeup of your arm determines natural throw power) it seems to me that it's a predominantly slow-twitch activity. 

I think the consensus is that the OP is on crack, now am I on it as well (highly likely)?  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

This would explain many things about the mad scientist known as Wonger. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
There could be something in it as when I was going to the gym I started to hit more 180's and now I stopped I have only hit 1 more.

I was more of the opinion that the gym was helping to smooth out my throw, hard to explain but I think sometimes after you have been exercising the next day you kind of feel more relaxed, may be its the effect of your body repairing the muscles, I am not a physician so not sure what it is.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Feeling fit certainly wouldn't do your darts harm. Infact a fit body can really help you have a clear mind.
If your muscles are fast twitch heavy or more slow twitch has no baring on your ability to throw darts well. Reason being that throwing darts doesn't take the stamina or speed that natural gifted humans need. All the muscles you need are already there , as long as your healthy and don't suffer with Injuires then practice will produce a world level amount of stamina.
I think its one of those things that if you believe it helps then it probably will Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Accuracy and consistency practice wabbzz 2 517 03-01-2019, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Cateye
  Grouping and accuracy practice video neilbirkin 4 1,267 03-07-2018, 03:47 PM
Last Post: chak840
  Consistency and accuracy practice techniques video neilbirkin 9 1,218 12-18-2016, 09:59 PM
Last Post: shadowdenim