Shot Darts

aiming at target
any mental ques for target aiming?

I notice if i step up to the oche and look at T20 and throw three darts i get mixed ish results, but if i step up to the oche and REALLY look, rather intensely at T20 my grouping instantly improves

is this something to do with aiming where you look etc?
When I am throwing at my current best, I aim by focusing only on the target and feeling it in. I try not to consider my arm. I take cues from how the dart flies. When I release the dart purely, it has no wobble and little to no spin. If the dart begins fishtailing or landing sideways, I then have to consider the darts alignment to the target and the pressure points of my grip before throwing. And if the dart is flying straight but I am still missing, I have to consider whether I am moving my elbow around too much. I tend to get sloppy and frequently have to reign that mess in. But my goal is to focus on the target and trust my arm to do the right thing.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

makes sense to me, takes me a second or so to feel like ive picked the target out with my eyes and it feels quite intense, I think its the going from looking at the T20 (and surrounding area) and then my eyes kind of zoning in on solely the T20, I can see the dart when i through it but think little about paying attention to it

never realised how much fun it is learning the intricacies of darts!
(12-20-2016, 04:27 PM)Jamesr4300 Wrote: makes sense to me, takes me a second or so to feel like ive picked the target out with my eyes and it feels quite intense, I think its the going from looking at the T20 (and surrounding area) and then my eyes kind of zoning in on solely the T20, I can see the dart when i through it but think little about paying attention to it

Hi James,

Dartbuggy's comments are spot on.... deep focussing on a part of the target works well for me as it tends to keep the upper body (head especially) still. With my throwing action I look through the flight and bring the dart to my dominant eye which is handy being left-handed. When I've focussed on the target and with my dart in hand I simply line them ensuring that the dart is lying perpendicularly (big word Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ) to the board, lock the wrist and push the dart to the target. I suppose I'm trying to emulate Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. the likes of Gary Anderson whose style is excellent IMHO.

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

(12-21-2016, 11:06 AM)Dorian Wrote:
(12-20-2016, 04:27 PM)Jamesr4300 Wrote: makes sense to me, takes me a second or so to feel like ive picked the target out with my eyes and it feels quite intense, I think its the going from looking at the T20 (and surrounding area) and then my eyes kind of zoning in on solely the T20, I can see the dart when i through it but think little about paying attention to it

Hi James,

Dartbuggy's comments are spot on.... deep focussing on a part of the target works well for me as it tends to keep the upper body (head especially) still. With my throwing action I look through the flight and bring the dart to my dominant eye which is handy being left-handed. When I've focussed on the target and with my dart in hand I simply line them ensuring that the dart is lying perpendicularly (big word Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ) to the board, lock the wrist and push the dart to the target. I suppose I'm trying to emulate Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. the likes of Gary Anderson whose style is excellent IMHO.

Cheers

thanks guys Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. it really helps thats for sure!

just need to find a grip I can use consistently now Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. I must change 3-4 times every practice routine
Find your grip. Keep it and focus not moving your body around once you line up. Follow through is super important as well
(12-21-2016, 04:39 PM)SlingBlade Wrote: Find your grip. Keep it and focus not moving your body around once you line up. Follow through is super important as well

find my grip is the problem at the minute, ill throw 3 great darts then 3 darts that feel like they are slipping and either being pulled low or flung high, the only grip i seem semi-consistent with is a 3 finger and thumb grip, ring finger on the point, middle and index spaced apart on the barrel and thumb in middle of the barrel but in a pincer like grip rather than a thumb pad grip if that makes sense? but this grip isnt ideal for my 40mm barrells really
I'll just say that when I first started to get serious about throwing I walked around with my darts all the time. When I set them down and picked them up that was the way I got used to throwing them. But, that was me. After some time I just focused on the target and not the dart because it felt natural to me. Let's wait now for some of the pro's to chime in with their advice.
Maybe you need a longer barrel to try as well?
(12-21-2016, 04:57 PM)Jamesr4300 Wrote:
(12-21-2016, 04:39 PM)SlingBlade Wrote: Find your grip. Keep it and focus not moving your body around once you line up. Follow through is super important as well

find my grip is the problem at the minute, ill throw 3 great darts then 3 darts that feel like they are slipping and either being pulled low or flung high, the only grip i seem semi-consistent with is a 3 finger and thumb grip, ring finger on the point, middle and index spaced apart on the barrel and thumb in middle of the barrel but in a pincer like grip rather than a thumb pad grip if that makes sense? but this grip isnt ideal for my 40mm barrells really

Sounds a lot like my grip, if it's natural for you keep with it.  I also use it on 40mm barrels but I find barrels ~50mm work the best for me. You never know until you try though.

In terms of aiming, I use the wires a lot for that, I find aiming at/just above/just below a wire really helps me focus.
(12-21-2016, 05:10 PM)wongerchi Wrote:
(12-21-2016, 04:57 PM)Jamesr4300 Wrote:

Sounds a lot like my grip, if it's natural for you keep with it.  I also use it on 40mm barrels but I find barrels ~50mm work the best for me. You never know until you try though.

In terms of aiming, I use the wires a lot for that, I find aiming at/just above/just below a wire really helps me focus.

well i started with front loaded 40mm barrels but didnt like them, went to whitlock 48mm ones and the shape didnt suite so now im using peter wright 40mm barrels that are centre weighted which have been the best so far but im thinking of trying a mvg or anderson length barrel (i use short stems at the minute so may need longer for longer darts?)

im going to try various other grips, ive been googling pictures of pro grips and saving them so i can try each and find a comfortable/repeatable one
(12-21-2016, 05:18 PM)Jamesr4300 Wrote: well i started with front loaded 40mm barrels but didnt like them, went to whitlock 48mm ones and the shape didnt suite so now im using peter wright 40mm barrels that are centre weighted which have been the best so far but im thinking of trying a mvg or anderson length barrel (i use short stems at the minute so may need longer for longer darts?)

im going to try various other grips, ive been googling pictures of pro grips and saving them so i can try each and find a comfortable/repeatable one

It may be just me but I don't think it's a very good idea trying to copy a grip from anyone, pro or not.  Everyone has their own natural grip, I would figure out what is comfortable and then stick with it.
(12-21-2016, 05:23 PM)wongerchi Wrote:
(12-21-2016, 05:18 PM)Jamesr4300 Wrote: well i started with front loaded 40mm barrels but didnt like them, went to whitlock 48mm ones and the shape didnt suite so now im using peter wright 40mm barrels that are centre weighted which have been the best so far but im thinking of trying a mvg or anderson length barrel (i use short stems at the minute so may need longer for longer darts?)

It may be just me but I don't think it's a very good idea trying to copy a grip from anyone, pro or not.  Everyone has their own natural grip, I would figure out what is comfortable and then stick with it.

oh agreed, im using them more as a knowledge base kind of thing of the different styles there are, then ill play around to see if any work or are comfortable etc, im not looking to emulate a grip based on the player, just try different ones

failing that ill stick with my current

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aiming, or not Hazza 4 296 04-15-2020, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Hazza
  dart in front of eye when aiming? tjdetweiler 11 876 03-22-2019, 07:25 PM
Last Post: tjdetweiler
  Aiming at 19 but hitting 16? Ed180 18 1,624 08-02-2018, 01:05 AM
Last Post: Sultan Pepper
  Problems with aiming Stefan Gusko 11 1,853 01-30-2018, 04:13 AM
Last Post: DanC.Licks
  Aiming issue Troll 7 820 09-29-2017, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Musher
  Hitting/Aiming big number compared with treble Leetaylor17 3 892 01-02-2017, 08:05 PM
Last Post: wongerchi
  problem with raising arm and aiming slowly lennon909 4 1,395 07-04-2016, 08:50 PM
Last Post: Ancient Darter
  aiming and focus English Animal 6 1,122 04-16-2016, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Renwick180
  Aiming Si "TheJoker" Anderton 16 2,303 11-10-2015, 05:25 AM
Last Post: BigE
  Aiming inconsistencies Kon 6 1,150 01-11-2015, 09:07 PM
Last Post: Icedmind