Darts Buddy

Left handed
Hi all,

Quick question. I don't see many left handed darts players around. I am a lefty and was wondering whether there is anyone that could give any advice? I know it's probably a silly question as common sense says u do everything a righty does but in reverse but as a cricketer I kno that a left arm bowler isn't a lot different to a right arm bowler. I see there any difference in the two at darts??
If you're a lefty then it should all come naturally enough surely?
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(12-19-2016, 06:04 PM)Walker Wrote: If you're a lefty then it should all come naturally enough surely?
Hey Walker,

Yeah that's what I figured but thought there might be slight differences. For instance most choose to go double 16 as an out but does that mean lefthanders prefer to go double 15 instead on the other side of the board as an exact opposite. Also all my mates throw with a side on stance Andre I throw more close down chested. 

Is that just a difference in style and stance rather than being left handed. As mentioned other sports have many technical differences between left and right handed players and was just wondering whether darts could fall under that too.
(12-19-2016, 06:12 PM)duelist83 Wrote:
(12-19-2016, 06:04 PM)Walker Wrote: If you're a lefty then it should all come naturally enough surely?
Hey Walker,

Yeah that's what I figured but thought there might be slight differences. For instance most choose to go double 16 as an out but does that mean lefthanders prefer to go double 15 instead on the other side of the board as an exact opposite. Also all my mates throw with a side on stance Andre I throw more close down chested. 

Is that just a difference in style and stance rather than being left handed. As mentioned other sports have many technical differences between left and right handed players and was just wondering whether darts could fall under that too.

Oh right I see what you're getting at mate, I'd say it's all just personally preference really. Even if I was a lefty I'd probably still go for D16 as my go to double, although I'm not a lefty so I can't actually say that for sure lol.
Trial and error mate just keep at it and with practice you'll soon discover what works/doesn't work for you
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I think there aren't many technical differences in throwing style, stance etc, judging by the pros. They tend to like tops and especially D10 so going for D20 might be a popular outshot selection for the lefties, but just do it however you want.
(12-19-2016, 06:12 PM)duelist83 Wrote: Is that just a difference in style and stance rather than being left handed. As mentioned other sports have many technical differences between left and right handed players and was just wondering whether darts could fall under that too.

I am a natural right hander who throws things left handed.  Off the top of my head I can't think of any advice I'd give a right hander which would be different to what I would suggest to myself. 

My natural arm action is slightly down and across my body left-to-right so I naturally prefer the 2-15-10-6 quarter to any of the others.  That said, I am probably just as good/bad at the 16-8 sector of the board because I practise it a lot - I treat D8 and D10 as my "insurance" doubles so I spend a lot of time on them.  I also set up D16 or D20 pretty much equally, thinking about it.

Interestingly though I find hitting the 19s a lot more "natural" than hitting the 20s, especially when I'm tired. Not really sure what to make of it other than making sure that out- or setup-shots ideally go through the 19s... Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
James Wade has done pretty well for himself.

(12-19-2016, 06:52 PM)wongerchi Wrote:
(12-19-2016, 06:12 PM)duelist83 Wrote: Is that just a difference in style and stance rather than being left handed. As mentioned other sports have many technical differences between left and right handed players and was just wondering whether darts could fall under that too.

I am a natural right hander who throws things left handed.  Off the top of my head I can't think of any advice I'd give a right hander which would be different to what I would suggest to myself. 

My natural arm action is slightly down and across my body left-to-right so I naturally prefer the 2-15-10-6 quarter to any of the others.  That said, I am probably just as good/bad at the 16-8 sector of the board because I practise it a lot - I treat D8 and D10 as my "insurance" doubles so I spend a lot of time on them.  I also set up D16 or D20 pretty much equally, thinking about it.

Interestingly though I find hitting the 19s a lot more "natural" than hitting the 20s, especially when I'm tired. Not really sure what to make of it other than making sure that out- or setup-shots ideally go through the 19s... Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Interesting point that as I tend to favour the D10 and D15. I can hit the odd D16 as well but would much rather set it up at the other end of the board. As for D20, I actually try and avoid it which i think is a bit silly as 20 is the number we tend to throw for the most and should be the easiest target really if you think about it.

Strange that you would mention the 19 as I also feel i hit that more naturally than the 20 and have actually considered playing for 19 outright.
(12-19-2016, 07:02 PM)Jugger Wrote: James Wade has done pretty well for himself.

definitely, one of few though. I think there was a south african bloke I once saw that was a lefty but not any others that spring to mind.
Nice coincidence this thread has come up now, as I've just started throwing left handed. (right being my dominant hand)

For me it's just because I wanted to test a theory from a sports science video, that said learning the same skills with your weaker side can improve accuracy on your dominant side...

It's actually no bother at all, seeing as now I can play myself on pro-darter instead of the computer.

I think a lot depends on your level and preference though, my missus (also right handed) prefers a D17, where I like D16 so I can always D8, D4 etc. until the inevitable D1 out Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. I'd much prefer tops if I was consistent enough though.
(12-19-2016, 05:59 PM)duelist83 Wrote: Hi all,

Quick question. I don't see many left handed darts players around. I am a lefty and was wondering whether there is anyone that could give any advice? I know it's probably a silly question as common sense says u do everything a righty does but in reverse but as a cricketer I kno that a left arm bowler isn't a lot different to a right arm bowler. I see there any difference in the two at darts??

There is no difference at all between a left or right handed darters ability to become a good player.

Cheers

P.S I am left handed  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

i'm left handed and dido I always go for the 15/10
DARTS-Unicorn Taylor Phase 5 / Target Gen1 26g (why change for something else that probably doesn't work lol)
SHAFTS-Target power gen 1 intermediate
FLIGHTS-Crafty Cockney
BOARD-Winmau blade 5 dual core
BOARD-Winmau Diamond (for practice)
BOARD-unicorn eclipse HD trainer board (for a laugh)
SET UP-Wall mounted cabinet,"Ockeys" Oche,Target Corona surround light
HOWAY THE LADS Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. "BRUCE OUT" 

(12-19-2016, 10:20 PM)duelist83 Wrote: definitely, one of few though. I think there was a south african bloke I once saw that was a lefty but not any others that spring to mind.

Ron Mulenkamp is another lefty, of course Mark Webster.

Regarding the 19s - I often end up there at the end of the evening. My singles lab is 7 sets best of 3 (all 7 sets) which gives me ~18 legs per night, and it's a a long match or I'm playing a doubleheader, I'll throw at the 19s for the last couple of sets.  It is always nice when I make the switch and still keep the average up while my opponent's is on the slide... Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(12-19-2016, 10:33 PM)Steve_00 Wrote: Nice coincidence this thread has come up now, as I've just started throwing left handed. (right being my dominant hand)

For me it's just because I wanted to test a theory from a sports science video, that said learning the same skills with your weaker side can improve accuracy on your dominant side...

Do you have a link to that video?  I "moonlight" as a sports scientist, combines my personal and professional interests... :dodgy:
(12-19-2016, 06:12 PM)duelist83 Wrote:
For instance most choose to go double 16 as an out but does that mean lefthanders prefer to go double 15 instead on the other side of the board as an exact opposite. 

Most choose D16 as an out because it splits so conveniently (hit a single, double 8, hit a single, double 4, hit a single, double 2, hit a single, double 1), not because it's in some sort of an ideal area for right-handers. I'm a lefty myself and find the left side of the board much easier to hit double-wise. I'm much happier with the D16 being on the left side than I would be if it were where the D15 is.

I am also left handed .And I am darting God
180-1(33)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Left Left and Left Carpy 5 359 11-13-2020, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Robert Burns
  64 and 68 with two darts left Ed180 8 371 11-12-2020, 07:28 AM
Last Post: KLFToronto
  Throw left/too low Oli 2 218 05-05-2020, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Oli
  right handed and left eye dominant and winmau sight right 2 stormyinc 1 530 03-12-2020, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Danny Giles
  Darts keep going left Radebe5 4 830 06-20-2018, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Adams
  Left drift into the 5's GONKO 13 847 01-31-2018, 08:16 PM
Last Post: The G
Smile Who has had right/left handed decisions to make? Flight Tenor 4 813 09-08-2017, 03:50 PM
Last Post: MJD
  darts going left & right ray-gun88 5 3,575 03-14-2016, 12:19 PM
Last Post: nivla
  Darts going left Eyebala 14 5,086 03-09-2016, 02:24 AM
Last Post: Geordie84
  pitching left upthereds 10 2,557 11-10-2015, 05:13 AM
Last Post: Banz