Shot Darts

Practicing at a shorter distance?
Hello guys, due to space constraints of my room, I can only throw my darts from ~220cm comfortably, I could try standing at 237cm but I would be forced to change my stance and it is a little uncomfortable as I wouldn't have enough space to rest my other foot without it affecting my upper torso. 

Would like to know what you guys think of this... Should I continue practicing at a shorter distance or just adapt to the space constraints by changing my stance? Thanks in advance for your replies!
In my opinion a practice with a shorter distance make no sense. You have wrong angles and need less power at your throw.
Beginner.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
My little darts collection

180th: 14x
Highfinishes: 118 (20 T20 D19), 112 (T20 12 D20), 108 (T20 16 D16), 102 (T20 10 D16), 110 (T19 17 D18), 101 (T17 B)
The leg of my life: 12 Darts (T20 T20 T20 20 ( :s no 9darter Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ) T20 20 20 T20 T20 T20 5 D8) 

While I think it can be worth trying throwing (shortly) from 100 - 150cm as it could show you some interesting findings about your throw, I don't think it would be wise being practicing permanently from the wrong length.

If there isn't enough space you should maybe find a better place to practice at. However, who else than you could tell us what the results are...

BTW, it reminded me this situation. A top czech player I know was practicing in the room with a too low ceiling. He had to dig a step into the floor then to have a board placed in the proper height. At least he had a great oche line then...I am not suggesting you should bring down some walls, though :-)
Ayup SS

You are between a rock & a hard place!
Good luck in your choice.

Shed
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Hello SS and welcome aboard!

I think you really should practice at the full length to be honest, unless you plan on playing in a leg with a different oche length like they had in the past but my guess is no such league exists where you are so 7feet 9 and a quarter inches is what you should be doing, is there no way at all you can do that?

I have heard stories of old pubs where they had a pit to stand in due to low ceilings, that must have been tiring having to climb out all the time!
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(12-18-2016, 08:57 AM)Sleeping Soon Wrote: Hello guys, due to space constraints of my room, I can only throw my darts from ~220cm comfortably, I could try standing at 237cm but I would be forced to change my stance and it is a little uncomfortable as I wouldn't have enough space to rest my other foot without it affecting my upper torso. 

Would like to know what you guys think of this... Should I continue practicing at a shorter distance or just adapt to the space constraints by changing my stance? Thanks in advance for your replies!

Can you mount the board at an angle in the corner of the room so you are throwing along the diagonal between the opposite corners?
Agree with Darren, and BK - a diagonal line give you more distance.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
IMO distance is more important as that's pretty much universal
changing your stance could work with practice especially long term
as i'm thinking anywhere else you play will probably have more room
DARTS-Unicorn Taylor Phase 5 / Target Gen1 26g (why change for something else that probably doesn't work lol)
SHAFTS-Target power gen 1 intermediate
FLIGHTS-Crafty Cockney
BOARD-Winmau blade 5 dual core
BOARD-Winmau Diamond (for practice)
BOARD-unicorn eclipse HD trainer board (for a laugh)
SET UP-Wall mounted cabinet,"Ockeys" Oche,Target Corona surround light
HOWAY THE LADS Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 

I've thrown at trees and the side of log cabins when I was desperate to throw, so I know ya gotta do what ya gotta do. That said, I see no good reason to throw at a short distance. Your darts land at a different angle and I imagine it will hinder you from developing a complete throw. I DO recommend practicing from a longer distance occasionally. I find this a good way to work out the yips. But shorter, not good.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

(12-18-2016, 07:07 PM)bkbum Wrote: Can you mount the board at an angle in the corner of the room so you are throwing along the diagonal between the opposite corners?

At the risk of hijacking the thread, I'm due to prepare a space for a set up and may have the same problem mounting it flat to the wall.  Does anyone mount their boards in a corner and what do they use ? A sheet of MDF held by brackets to each wall, floating shelf etc ?  Any advice to a DIY ignoramus like myself would be welcome.
Wink 
Thanks for the feedback guys! Will try my best to work with the little space I have available. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Unfortunately I've already drilled the board into the wall, so changing the board location to make it diagonal would result in me getting hammered by my parents, but nevertheless thanks for the suggestion!
(12-18-2016, 08:57 AM)Sleeping Soon Wrote: Hello guys, due to space constraints of my room, I can only throw my darts from ~220cm comfortably, I could try standing at 237cm but I would be forced to change my stance and it is a little uncomfortable as I wouldn't have enough space to rest my other foot without it affecting my upper torso. 

Neither strikes me as a good option, but if those really are your only two choices I'd opt for the latter. I can't think of too many things worse for your game than practicing at a shorter distance.

I used to play in my garage, possibly an exterior area could be a remedy or mahaps mount it in the wall between the studs. just trying to be a bit creative. good luck my friend.
(12-19-2016, 05:25 AM)Sleeping Soon Wrote: Thanks for the feedback guys! Will try my best to work with the little space I have available. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Unfortunately I've already drilled the board into the wall, so changing the board location to make it diagonal would result in me getting hammered by my parents, but nevertheless thanks for the suggestion!

I a diagonal setup gives you enough space do this. Take your board down. Make any need repairs so the wall looks as good as it did before you mounted the board. Then, show your parents and discuss what you want to do. Chances are when they see that you are being responsible with "their house" they'll let you remount the board in the corner.
Liberal heathen

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sick of losing? Stop practicing T20! Jugger 67 11,042 04-17-2021, 03:20 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Throwing Distance Stealth501 4 325 01-26-2020, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Kts365
  Practicing your "mental game" during solitary practice JohnK 24 33,996 01-26-2018, 01:14 AM
Last Post: William.dyer
  Nerves - Fine practicing, shaking during match Zac619 4 25,202 06-26-2017, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Zac619
  Oche distance trouble Dartsweb 7 1,101 12-20-2016, 04:46 AM
Last Post: ranger86
  Practicing too many variations of your motion expos1994 4 1,461 07-06-2015, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Adams
  Practicing the stroke brenthahn 12 4,176 05-12-2015, 03:53 AM
Last Post: BigE
  Speaking of rules, practicing during a match... uncle poop 13 4,027 09-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Lefty544