Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

17 left safest is 15double one or 13 double 2
using other number to close out this no is a risk
no other choice
agee?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
17? Why not 1 D8?
Proud user of Voks MMA 22g darts - for more info on them see Getagrip's review.
there is no room for error in 1
if u hit 20 and 18

If you worry about hitting the wrong single you should probably start to change your mindset. What if you hit a treble or double 15/13? Makes no sense to me to go for those, 1 D8 or 9 D4 all day long.
(12-16-2016, 11:57 PM)MMA Wrote: 17? Why not 1 D8?

Missing the S1 on either side would result in busting your score. I guess it depends on how good you are. A lower-level player might prefer the 9 D4 or the 13 D2 route as they are safer if you miss the big number. However, if you're good enough and confident in hitting the singles all the time, then you might prefer any route, just like 1 D8 to leave your favorite double. I'd personally go for S9 or S13.
On 17 I tend to go for 9, double 4.
Because a miss into the 12 or 14 does not bust you.
Wait, gotta go 9 D4, no? If you go either way (14 or 12) on 9, you can still clean up and leave D1 or D2 (depending on how you missed the first one), but if you hit 9, D4 is far better (for me) than D1 and D2
(12-17-2016, 12:02 AM)joeriw96 Wrote: If you worry about hitting the wrong single you should probably start to change your mindset. What if you hit a treble or double 15/13? 1 D8 or 9 D4 all day long.

Well, I don't know on what level you are, but there are loads of players who can't always hit the single they aim for.
If you're not hitting your singles, no route is safe Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(12-17-2016, 12:04 AM)Phenohyte Wrote:
(12-17-2016, 12:02 AM)joeriw96 Wrote: If you worry about hitting the wrong single you should probably start to change your mindset. What if you hit a treble or double 15/13? 1 D8 or 9 D4 all day long.

Well, I don't know on what level you are, but there are loads of players who can't always hit the single they aim for.

Neither can I, mess up loads of times when setting up a double. Still doesn't change the fact that I always go for the "correct" way.
In my opinion, it's all about risk and reward...

Single 9 for D4 probably has the best risk/reward payoff. If you hit the target you get what most people (myself included) would say is a good double and you reduce the risk of busting with a miss into a neighbouring single.

The risk of going S1 for D8 is that you'll bust. The reward is that you'll get two darts at a great double that breaks down all the way.

The risk of S15 for D1 or S13 for D2 is that you'll hit what you're going for and leave yourself a much worse double than you needed to. The reward is that if you miss your single you get another bite at the cherry.

At some point though you do have to hit the single you're going for with these lower splits. I reckon going for these high safety/low reward routes will lead yo more quickly to double one.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
As a beginner you'll feel more pressure leaving D1, there is nowhere to go, you MUST hit it.
S1 D8 every time, I'm great at 1's all I need to do is aim at T20 LOL
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 
Current Board 
Blade 5 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore  charcoal flights and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
thanks for your reply
yes i am novice and need to practice those fat 1s

(12-17-2016, 01:18 AM)Dartaddict1973 Wrote: thanks for your reply
yes i am novice and need to practice those fat 1s

Fat 1s are definitely worth practising and having a practise session closing out the odd #s from 3-39 has improved my game no end.

However, I personally would go nowhere near the Fat 1 on 17.  9-D4 is the shot for me. As has been stated before, miss either side and you've not bust, hit and you have 2 darts at "regulation" doubles.  Only consideration when looking at D2 with 1 dart in hand is not to go inside, I aim just above the bottom wire in that case.

The only other route I would remotely consider on 17 is 13-D2, but only if, for some reason, the 9 segment had dropped out of the board or something. There is a much lower risk of busting and you leave a double that you can still go inside 2nd dart and have a shot on.