Harrows Darts.

Harrows Cobalt 25g darts review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxZxI-zWsrU

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel: click here

I have been looking forward to trying these since I saw the pics from the Harrows launch although I kind of was expecting them not to suit my throw but more on that later.  These are the Harrows Cobalt 25g darts, they are 90% tungsten and have a blue and black titanium Nitride coating they are also available in 21,22,23,24 and 26 grams so a good variety of weights and retail for around £39.

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

The darts come in a slim line box and are supplied with a Harrows hard plastic case, point protector, Harrows Supergrip Fusions stems and Harrows Retina flights:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

PICS OF THE DARTS:

CLOSE UP PICS:

The barrels are a kind of flattened Rugby ball shape, not sure what you would call it, maybe elipsodoidal? There is two distinct grip designs on the front and on the rear half, I think the front is a little grippier than the rear and is a kind of razor grip with thin rings and the rear is made of kind of bevelled rings like as if its been a flat ring with a wide v shape cut through the centre, so the edges are a little raised.  Overall I would say its between a high medium and almost high level grip.

DIMENSIONS:

Length:

WEIGHT:

All there barrels were perfectly matched so excellent!:

Weight of full setup as supplied:

BALANCE:

With nothing attached the barrel was slightly front of centre:

With supplied setup  it moved very slightly behind centre:

Balance with my own medium, inbetween, short and extra short nylon stems and standard flights:

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

I gripped these on the front fairly close to the nose:

CONCLUSION:

I think these darts are a little curious as they are a slightly unusual shape but seem to work well for all grip positions.  But I dont think the work with my loopyish throw but I did not need to change my throw much to get them working well.  I just threw a little flatter and they seemed to work great then.  So if your a front gripper who throws quite flat they could be even better.  I got them flying well the more I played with them and I think the grip at the front plays a big part in it for me as it was quite effective when pushing forward with the dart.  

Through the air I got some spin and spiralling but I think it may be more to do with my fingers interacting with the grip but it actually seemed to suit the darts as I thought they seemed a little more accurate at times when they did that.  I played with them a few more times after the video and decided to have a go at the bulls which I really should practice more as I am terrible at them but I was hitting the bulls well with these and I thought I was going to get another triple Bullseye at one point, the first 2 went in perfectly but I got a bit of a deflection on the third and it went into the 25.  But I did the same again today, had 2 darts in the bull but this time the third was a panic throw I think and missed the 25 even lol, oh well!  

But it did seem curious that they work so well on the bull for me and I think its because I am so used to kind of looping the darts around the 20 area that throwing these flatter at the bull was just enough of a change to be more accurate in that target.  So I think overall they have throwing well but I just had to have a slight adjustment to my throw but I do like the grip at the front, its very good Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Throwing from the centre was not bad at all and of course the balance felt best there.  It is not too far from my front grip so I had some good throws with it but still got a fair bit of spin which was a little surprising.  I think also it has a chunkier feel around the middle but it is the widest part of the barrel anyway.  I dont see any problems for natural middle grippers and you can get a little of the grips from the front and rear half there.

From the rear it was not as easy for me of course but again it did not throw too badly and strangely I got less to no spin which is usually the opposite of what normal happens!  There was some very smooth darts through the air with the rear grip and I think it probably felt the most comfy in the fingers out of the positions but I prefer the way the front grip feels when throwing the dart, it has just enough bite to help propel it better I think.  But again I think some rear grippers will be very happy with it.

So overall I think its one of those dart that could work well for a variety of grips but its just unusual enough in that I think its a case of having to try to see if it suits.  Although I think for front grippers who throw flat it may work very well but it could be the opposite for rear grippers and may suit a rear gripper with a more loopy style, I did say it was curious! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  

As for quality well its really good, I was told Harrows have invested in some new Japanese cutting machines and looking at the machining on these it shows as its very clean and perfectly match weighted so money well spent I think.

Great darts then but ultimately ones you will have to try and see.

Summary Ratings:

Looks: 9 (very nice looking)
Grip: 8 (1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 10 (Perfect!)
Quality: 9 (really good)
Value: 8 (good)
Suitability for me: 8 (worked well with a little adjustment)

Best Feature: Front Grip Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I'm thinking that these might be a pretty good dart for you G.Grip. They are a nice looking dart and weight is spot on as well as the awesome machining on them. Harrows looks to have another nice design
Nicely done,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(12-16-2016, 04:43 PM)SlingBlade Wrote: I'm thinking that these might be a pretty good dart for you G.Grip. They are a nice looking dart and weight is spot on as well as the awesome machining on them. Harrows looks to have another nice design

Cheers! I am thinking of trying a 23g model actually, not sure if its shorter as not checked but I have a feeling it may work just right Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(12-16-2016, 04:57 PM)0ldjoblo Wrote: Nicely done,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks mate Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Well done on the review yet again Darren. :thumbup:

One of the best looking darts IMO the last couple of years. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thanks Brad, they do look nice although not my favourite looking but certainly up very high in the rankings Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(12-16-2016, 05:28 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Thanks Brad, they do look nice although not my favourite looking but certainly up very high in the rankings Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I agree, for me it's the simplicity combined with looks of Unicorn's golden Lowe's and Purist Phase 2's. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Great review and photos Darren!   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The cuts at the rear end of the darts are know as an 'Omega' cut, even though they kinda look like a sideways Sigma shape to me!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  Been featured for quite awhile on Japanese barrels, although usually of a wider dimension like the Astra T Arrow you have, or the Dynasty Gladiator Dash, and also shows up once in awhile on Japanese inspired designs like the Target Teppens and most recently, an adaptation on the Harrows Atomic.

If these and the new releases were cut on Japanese CNC lathes, then I'd say they are quite worth the asking price even though they approach the lower-end of the Japanese brands because you won't get any fancy coatings on Japanese barrels at these price levels.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
These look very attractive and rather unique, but I can't buy them while I'm on my self imposed darts diet.
Great review as always! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. :congrats:
(12-16-2016, 05:35 PM)Great White North Wrote:
(12-16-2016, 05:28 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Thanks Brad, they do look nice although not my favourite looking but certainly up very high in the rankings Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I agree, for me it's the simplicity combined with looks of Unicorn's golden Lowe's and Purist Phase 2's. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Yeah I get ya, I probably sound like I was not so keen on them in some comments but that is not so really, they were not suiting my usual throw but then I don't have a usual one nowadays just one that I try to replicate my old style but not always successfully so I have had some good throws with them with just a minor change to a slightly flatter style but I think the 23g may work even better so looking forward to trying those to see Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(12-16-2016, 05:45 PM)Ancient Darter Wrote: Great review and photos Darren!   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The cuts at the rear end of the darts are know as an 'Omega' cut, even though they kinda look like a sideways Sigma shape to me!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  Been featured for quite awhile on Japanese barrels, although usually of a wider dimension like the Astra T Arrow you have, or the Dynasty Gladiator Dash, and also shows up once in awhile on Japanese inspired designs like the Target Teppens and most recently, an adaptation on the Harrows Atomic.

If these and the new releases were cut on Japanese CNC lathes, then I'd say they are quite worth the asking price even though they approach the lower-end of the Japanese brands because you won't get any fancy coatings on Japanese barrels at these price levels.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Ah, cheers Chris, but who called them Omega cut? is it trademarked as that or is it just another brands naming for their own barrels? I know its a bloody nightmare trying to describe some of these new cuts though! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Yeah I think they must have paid some good money for top end machines, I heard they can be crazy money too, hundreds of thousands or more!

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I have no idea Darren. Probably the Japanese since I've not seen that cut in UK designs before now, and you would probably need someone to decipher the 'ancient writings' since it appears that most of the design principles follow several doctrines borrowed from different areas and philosophies (usual). I only saw the term 'Omega' in spec translations. It might not even reflect the origin of the idea behind that sort of cut, or might only be a very rough transposition.

At least you're not naming a combination cut design of some of the Japanese barrels and their design rationales! That might take up half the entire review!
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
One of the best looking darts Harrows has released in years. Looks good in the board and worth the £40 or so being spent of the darts.

Also, nice to see them change the case a little bit and being able to place your flights in more easier than before. Pretty sure you know what I mean by that.
(12-16-2016, 06:20 PM)Ancient Darter Wrote: I have no idea Darren. Probably the Japanese since I've not seen that cut in UK designs before now, and you would probably need someone to decipher the 'ancient writings' since it appears that most of the design principles follow several doctrines borrowed from different areas and philosophies (usual). I only saw the term 'Omega' in spec translations. It might not even reflect the origin of the idea behind that sort of cut, or might only be a very rough transposition.

At least you're not naming a combination cut design of some of the Japanese barrels and their design rationales! That might take up half the entire review!

I think its on the Showtime Elite too. I think I will stick to my ring with pointy up edges description lol

(12-16-2016, 07:28 PM)sjmattitude1982 Wrote: One of the best looking darts Harrows has released in years. Looks good in the board and worth the £40 or so being spent of the darts.

Also, nice to see them change the case a little bit and being able to place your flights in more easier than before. Pretty sure you know what I mean by that.

Yeah I do lol Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

What a great review and photos, many thanks and very much appreciated!  

They appear to be a slightly shorter version of the Target Distinction Orions but with a better front grip.  This spells trouble as I really enjoyed throwing the Orion Pixels. Must resist, already bought my Xmas present to myself! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Nice review. I was talking to a player last week who had soft tip Cobalt darts and he swore they were the best darts he had ever had. And I know he had had lots of different darts. A few weeks ago he told me the same about the Target Daytona which he has sold already :-)...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Harrows Damon Heta Darts Review Getagrip 11 554 02-19-2021, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Harrows Oracle 23g Darts Review Getagrip 48 11,298 01-13-2021, 02:35 PM
  Harrows Supergrip Ultra Darts Review Getagrip 12 640 11-27-2020, 05:18 PM
  Harrows Swarm Darts Review Getagrip 10 815 11-27-2020, 10:58 AM
  Harrows Revere Darts Review Getagrip 10 787 11-24-2020, 06:51 PM
  Harrows Dave Chisnall Chizzy 23g darts review Getagrip 32 4,364 11-20-2020, 02:09 PM
  Harrows Noble Darts Review Getagrip 10 973 11-16-2020, 11:02 AM
  Harrows Fire Inferno Darts Review Getagrip 15 1,497 11-14-2020, 02:28 PM
  Harrows Rapide Knurled 26g Review Don Q 12 474 11-01-2020, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Don Q
  Harrows Predator 23g Darts Review Getagrip 32 10,856 08-13-2020, 04:08 PM