Unicorn

Should ex champions have 'tour cards for life??
Hi guys

Seeing the likes of Part having to go through Q school I think it's abit insulting to past masters of the game who've earned the right to be called champions to have to go this route

I think all past major winners should receive automatic qualification for the tour!
Darts: 25g phase 1 Barney copy (Darts Clearance) 
Stems: DC short
Flights: std 75mc
Board: Winmau Blade 5. 

Best 100 at 20 score: 115 (17/10/18)
Current ave: 95

Please follow my blog:

Blog: https://mydartinglife.blogspot.com

Twitter: lukestacey@mydartinglife

World Champions, World Masters, Grand Slam Winners?, where would you draw the line?
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Voks Tornado points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
Hi Chris

Any major winner.

Let's be honest there isn't a huge pool!
Darts: 25g phase 1 Barney copy (Darts Clearance) 
Stems: DC short
Flights: std 75mc
Board: Winmau Blade 5. 

Best 100 at 20 score: 115 (17/10/18)
Current ave: 95

Please follow my blog:

Blog: https://mydartinglife.blogspot.com

Twitter: lukestacey@mydartinglife

(12-14-2016, 10:49 PM)NiteEyez Wrote: Hi guys

Seeing the likes of Part having to go through Q school I think it's abit insulting to past masters of the game who've earned the right to be called champions to have to go this route

I think all past major winners should receive automatic qualification for the tour!

I totally agree about John Part not having to go to Q School.  I mean, he's a three time world champion!

I personally wouldn't extend it to all major winners.  I think what darts calls a major is a whole other topic of conversation but if there were just 4 majors, universally agreed upon like golf and tennis, then maybe so.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
(12-14-2016, 10:55 PM)NiteEyez Wrote: Hi Chris

Any major winner.

Let's be honest there isn't a huge pool!
That seems fair to me, makes it a little more interesting too as even an old dog can still have its day just maybe not so often.
Would not include masters tournaments though or Pro Tour events just Majors
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Voks Tornado points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
I'd agree with the current system. Yes it's harsh on Part but it also opens the door for young or fresh talent.
[font=Courier New][font=Arial Black]Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro[/font][/font]

They shouldn't just be given a card back - if they drop out of the top 64 they should have to earn it back like everyone else does.

Yes Part is a 3 time world champ, but the last of those victories was in 2008 - he is nowhere near the form of those days now.
(12-14-2016, 11:09 PM)mc1958 Wrote: They shouldn't just be given a card back - if they drop out of the top 64 they should have to earn it back like everyone else does.

Yes Part is a 3 time world champ, but the last of those victories was in 2008 - he is nowhere near the form of those days now.

Totally agree with the above. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Let's be honest, Part doesn't really care about his pro darts career anymore. He's got the job with Sky and he's occassionally throwing, but he's certainly not serious now.

I think having the former major champions just because they are won something 10 years ago would be foolish. If they still have the game to play on the tour, Q-School shouldn't be a problem for them really.

What happened if these players like Part, Nicholson, or even retired ones like Scholten, Lloyd, Warriner, Priestley etc. got back on the Pro Tour? They wouldn't get into TV events anyway. Only realistic aim would be to qualify for the UK Open or the Grand Slam, but these floor qualifiers don't require a tour card, so nothing to be gained from giving these players a card. But on the other hand, some younger players with more potential would be deprived from the opportunity to improve and get into TV events.
Maybe a 5 or 10 year exemption. Life seems a bit over the line.

(12-14-2016, 11:17 PM)Phenohyte Wrote: Let's be honest, Part doesn't really care about his pro darts career anymore. He's got the job with Sky and he's occassionally throwing, but he's certainly not serious now.

I think having the former major champions just because they are won something 10 years ago would be foolish. If they still have the game to play on the tour, Q-School shouldn't be a problem for them really.

What happened if these players like Part, Nicholson, or even retired ones like Scholten, Lloyd, Warriner, Priestley etc. got back on the Pro Tour? They wouldn't get into TV events anyway. Only realistic aim would be to qualify for the UK Open or the Grand Slam, but these floor qualifiers don't require a tour card, so nothing to be gained from giving these players a card. But on the other hand, some younger players with more potential would be deprived from the opportunity to improve and get into TV events.

You know this how?  Not being an arse about it, just would like you to explain how you know this?
(12-14-2016, 11:29 PM)Great White North Wrote:
(12-14-2016, 11:17 PM)Phenohyte Wrote: Let's be honest, Part doesn't really care about his pro darts career anymore. He's got the job with Sky and he's occassionally throwing, but he's certainly not serious now.

You know this how?  Not being an arse about it, just would like you to explain how you know this?

Valid question.

In fact.... Part loves playing more than anything... I have seen him mention this many times.
He's also extremely realistic in knowing that he is not the shot he once was.

If he didn't care, he wouldn't bother trying at all.  Who knows when a hot streak might kick in!

I dont agree with giving ex champions a card if there games hadn't fallen off so much they would still be high enough in the rankings to keep there card, Part still loves the game he still plays alot he plays the CDC tour here in North America as well as tourneys all the time all over North America
The big question is, "Will Taylor get 16 of them when he finally retires?"

Being a bit facetious here, but to answer the original question, no, not for life. Especially if it keeps a younger, up and coming player from showcasing his talent by not having a spot in the tournament.
(12-14-2016, 11:04 PM)jc14 Wrote: I'd agree with the current system. Yes it's harsh on Part but it also opens the door for young or fresh talent.

^^^^ I agree with this....lose your tour card you have to qualify like everyone else.....it's just fair and let's be honest if you think you've got the game to mix it with the best you've gotta beat whoever is put in front of you and prove it Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
GranID: GazzaB82 
              (The Biscuit) 
www.custommadedarts.com  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Shocked 2019 Champions league of Darts PAULCFC 66 2,924 10-21-2019, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Kenny1872
  2018 Paddy Power Champions League of Darts mc1958 33 2,233 09-24-2018, 10:34 AM
Last Post: Little al
  2018 Champions League of Darts mc1958 3 965 08-30-2018, 07:56 PM
Last Post: woodmagnet
  Chisnall & Whitlock Seal Champions League Spots mc1958 0 605 08-02-2018, 06:48 PM
Last Post: mc1958
  2018 Champions League in Brighton Great White North 0 511 03-13-2018, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Great White North
  2017 Champions League of Darts mc1958 89 11,950 09-21-2017, 04:21 AM
Last Post: Minh Tran
  Unibet Champions League Field Confirmed mc1958 2 893 08-02-2017, 01:22 PM
Last Post: ElusiveDouble85
  New BBC Deal For Unibet Champions League mc1958 4 17,998 06-21-2017, 01:09 PM
Last Post: ElusiveDouble85
  Cross and Searle Secure Tour Cards hamo 6 4,298 09-15-2016, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Lurker1
  Unibet Champions League Groups Announced hamo 11 2,453 08-13-2016, 09:44 AM
Last Post: mc1958