Shot Darts

Beginner Help - Pulling my darts right.
Hey guys, hoping you can help diagnose the first major flaw in my game I have noticed and what I can do to improve. 

As mentioned in my welcome post I am very new to darts, apart from the odd muckabout throw in the past this is the first time I have properly put a dartboard up at home and given myself the aim of improving my game enough to join a league team.

After poking about here I have been more or less sticking to A1 only for practice and to try and "feel" what a good throw for me is. After just a few days I can definitely get the sense of what a proper throw is and need to try and replicate it consistently. Which i think is definitely a good start. I've not been marking A1 as of yet, but will probably start doing so in the near future. 

What I have tended to notice happens more often than not when doing this is that my darts very much pull right of where my intended target is. Ie, going for 20's I'm hitting alot of 1's and the odd 18. Aiming at 19's I'm hitting 3's. Only target I am hitting with any level of consistency is 13, which is unsurprising giving it's location on the board. 

Wondering what I should try and check for to remedy this, postion at oche? my throw itself? my grip?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Are you left or right handed when throwing? I assume left as you say you're pulling the dart.
(12-10-2016, 03:48 PM)Great White North Wrote: Are you left or right handed when throwing?  I assume left as you say you're pulling the dart.

Right handed. Pulling perhaps wrong expression, Pushing the dart right.
(12-10-2016, 04:09 PM)Rokabera Wrote:
(12-10-2016, 03:48 PM)Great White North Wrote: Are you left or right handed when throwing?  I assume left as you say you're pulling the dart.

Describe your stance please, straight on/sideways/angled...
(12-10-2016, 04:22 PM)Great White North Wrote:
(12-10-2016, 04:09 PM)Rokabera Wrote:

Describe your stance please, straight on/sideways/angled...

Angled, standing right of centre at the oche.
(12-10-2016, 04:39 PM)Rokabera Wrote:
(12-10-2016, 04:22 PM)Great White North Wrote: Describe your stance please, straight on/sideways/angled...

Angled, standing right of centre at the oche.

You can try moving your back foot a wee bit left/right.  A small move either way can have a big difference on your release point.

Give it a goo and see what happens, all the best with it as well. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
What is your dominant eye that you aim from? That will have a bearing on whether they go to the left or the right.
(12-10-2016, 06:28 PM)Jefferz Wrote: What is your dominant eye that you aim from? That will have a bearing on whether they go to the left or the right.

My Right eye.
Another thought is that as you're aiming the dart, look at the angle that your forearm makes to the horizontal - perhaps it's slanted to the left rather than vertical (I imagine though it's not perfectly vertical with most people, but people have their own compensatory mechanisms to account for any deviations from the ideal). Also the point at which you pull back to. Maybe it is slightly to the left, so that between there and the release point it causes darts to go to the right.

Or perhaps there's a subtle shoulder movement just before release. I always have to remind myself to only use the forearm in the throw.

Other than that I can't really think of anything to help.
move your stance further left, see if that helps, plenty of guys move around the oche depending on what they are throwing at
So just to provide an update on this, with continued practice at A1 I'm starting to feel the difference between a good stroke and a bad stroke and darts being pushed to the right is tending to come from two things, either me actually pushing out to the right on the forward motion of throwing the dart, or releasing the dart early. Will continue to iron this out through practice and hopefully get it sorted in due course
Thanks for the update.

Stick with it - I truly believe this is the path to improvement.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
Sounds like its helping so far Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I'm a lefty and pull darts left during bad shots. Years ago when I was on a darts team the nickname given to me was" Colt 45" because I hit 45s all the time (and almost never a 41). Instinctively I wanted to move to the right after bad shots, but I found that moving to the LEFT helped more. Don't ask me to explain it, I can't, but as a righty you might try moving to the right after bad shots to the right and see if it helps.

Are you spinning your dart? I've noticed that I'm spinning more latey and the darts are drifting to the right as I spin it clockwise. I'm working on my release now and trying to have my fingers and thumb come off the dart simultaneously to take spin off.
Steel Tip: 
Monster The Cobra II, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Jelle Klaasen Champagne flights
Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core
PB 501, 13 darts on July 18, 2018
PB 301, 6 darts on September 24, 2017
Soft Tip: 
Monster Rapier IV MG, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Haruki Muramatsu Ver.3 Champagne flights
Hi Darts

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pulling darts liam_winnard 10 2,906 02-19-2017, 09:21 PM
Last Post: liam_winnard