Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Oche Stance
Where do you guys stand on the oche??

I was playing around last night and noticed if i stand to the right hand side, it felt like i could see the beds better, and immediately starting to score better and more consistent
Im wondering if thats because of my stance and bodyshape, throwing from the right suites my eye?
I assume you're right handed when throwing, if so did you pull a few darts into the 5's previously?
(12-10-2016, 03:05 PM)Great White North Wrote: I assume you're right handed when throwing, if so did you pull a few darts into the 5's previously?

Yeah right handed, i used to pull or push into the 5/1 quite alot and it felt like it didnt matter where i was looking it would happen

On the right hand side it feels like im hitting where im looking, still hit 5's and 1's of course but less often
(12-10-2016, 03:44 PM)Jamesr4300 Wrote:
(12-10-2016, 03:05 PM)Great White North Wrote: I assume you're right handed when throwing, if so did you pull a few darts into the 5's previously?

Yeah right handed, i used to pull or push into the 5/1 quite alot and it felt like it didnt matter where i was looking it would happen

On the right hand side it feels like im hitting where im looking, still hit 5's and 1's of course but less often

Got it, going more to the right probably has you not putting your shoulder into your release as well.  

All the best going forward. :thumbup:
(12-10-2016, 03:46 PM)Great White North Wrote:
(12-10-2016, 03:44 PM)Jamesr4300 Wrote:

Got it, going more to the right probably has you not putting your shoulder into your release as well.  

All the best going forward. :thumbup:

Ah never thought about that, thank you Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I stand slightly to the right of the centre, and adjustment I made not too long ago. The amount of darts in the 5 and 1 is much lower.
21g Harrows Fire
Glad im not just doing a weird thing then lol
I am standing opposite double 8. Left on the oche. My shoulder is more open and relaxed. I throw with my right hand. I stared to be more consistant scoring wise. I used to stand at centre of oche
Vrachar player Wrote:I am standing opposite double 8. Left on the oche. My shoulder is more open and relaxed. I throw with my right hand. I stared to be more consistant scoring wise. I used to stand at centre of oche

I tried that but it was uncomfortable and I I either pulled hard left, or pushed hard right, staying stable and on point was difficult

I was on a session yesterday with the lads when one of them offered me a game of darts, the only ones in the pub were horrible big brass beasts with massive stems and chewed up flights, even half cut i still easily won shooting from the right hand side, hit plenty of treble 20's and checked out 60 twice and a difficult 14 where i went 7, 1, D3 in one visit

quite excited to practice this further with my own darts now
I stand at right angles to the board like this, although my feet are a little smaller than that

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(12-10-2016, 04:00 PM)Jamesr4300 Wrote: Glad im not just doing a weird thing then lol

If it's working for you then just go with it!  Even a quick glance through the pro player ranks gives you oche positions at the extreme left (Gilding) to the extreme right (Bunting) and every postion in between...

For what it's worth (not a lot), I am a lefty and line up with the left edge of the 25.  I have moved around all over the place and always end up there so that's where I "live" now.
I stand with both feet facing the board straight on. My left foot is on the far left of the oche, and my right foot is a little left of center.
Matchdarts- 23.3g Ks99dime Madhouse Falcon Customs, 41mm diamond points, tweenie supergrip stems, Harrows Velos flights.
Backups- 23g Shot! Birds of Prey Falcon
25g Harrows Aura a3
24g Target Power 8Zero
23g Ks99dime Madhouse Customs
23g Adrian Lewis Pixel Grip
23g Target Daytona Fire 02
23g Dennis Priestley's
22g Cuesoul Black Scorpions
22g winmau snipers
21g Ks99dime Custom
21g Harrows Wolframs
21g Harrows Atomics
20g Monster Hades 2

I stand with my right foot at about a 45 degree angle to the oche, the toe of my shoe is facing the 8/16 side of the board with my heel pretty much in line with the center of the board. That way, my whole right side is in line with the imaginary line from the 20 to the 3 up and down.
that was my original stance, and whilst comfortable it just wasnt accurate or consistent enough, and no matter how hard i tried to zero in on the target with my eyes it never quite felt like i was throwing at where i was aiming.

As soon as i moved over to the right the beds looked massive and throwing from the line of sight of my dominant eye it instance felt like i was throwing where i was actually looking, my scores went up straight away

considering im 5-0 in league matches this year but struggled scoring wise i hope this change makes like a bit easier, especially when it comes to finishing
Anyone use the Winmau sight right aid? I have thrown what feels like a perfect arrow and it lands perfectly into the tripple 5..sometimes 2 or 3 back to back...and they feel like I couldn't have thrown them any better. Wanting to order the aid to see how off my alignment is just not sure it is a gimmick or could it help?
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 22 Gram Keith Deller'sGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stance problems Troll 0 222 01-15-2020, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Troll
  Stance issue kennytheger 6 415 11-23-2019, 03:48 PM
Last Post: kennytheger
  Stance and Tempo and Oche Position UncleJJ 3 307 09-10-2019, 08:41 PM
Last Post: UncleJJ
  Stance for 3 darts at wide doubles Sultan Pepper 10 998 08-07-2018, 07:43 PM
Last Post: wongerchi
  Stance problems Troll 9 3,234 01-30-2018, 04:27 AM
Last Post: DanC.Licks
  Is there a way how to know is your stance solid enough without using video Troll 4 15,482 06-30-2017, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Troll
  Stance questions (2) Troll 6 1,071 12-23-2015, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Serial 7hriller
  Stance questions Troll 5 892 12-22-2015, 12:27 AM
Last Post: ChrisTheFish
  Stance overhaul ks99dime 20 2,721 10-01-2015, 03:48 PM
Last Post: BigE
  About stance Troll 15 3,494 05-14-2015, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Cat