Shot Darts

Flying high
Greetings. I'm new to the the forum but not new to darts - well recently returned anyway in the last year. Is there a specific reason that I might throw predominantly high or high left? It's bizarre how many times I can hit T12. My miss is quite often above D20 or D5 or anywhere in the 12, am I releasing too early? If so, is there a drill I can use to improve this? I'm not completely without results (or luck). I've hit 180 once since I've been back and had 3 in the bull (at the same time) when playing cricket. I've tried various dart weights and am now committed to 25 grams, short stem and standard flight.

Any advice will be gratefully received. Thanks for looking.
Sounds like you might have too much shoulder in your throw. That is what happens to me anyway. Too much shoulder typically results in darts going high and left if you are right handed.
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

Thanks Ranger. I might video this and have a look. If this is the case, what can I do to quieten the shoulder movement?
(12-10-2016, 04:43 AM)Andy O Wrote: Thanks Ranger. I might video this and have a look. If this is the case, what can I do to quieten the shoulder movement?

Using a video of your throw is a great idea.   That way you can see if your are letting the shoulder come into play on your throw.  

If so, I would suggest concentrating on, and consciously trying to eliminate any shoulder movement.    You really only want to use the elbow, forearm and wrist to get the darts to the board.   You watch almost any videos of a good player like almost any of the PDC pros and their heads and shoulders hardly move even a fraction of an inch in their take back to release of their darts.
Welcome,,,,,Enjoy,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Hi Andy and welcome, you may be releasing the dart too soon?
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I had a look at quite a few threads on the forum last night and had a bit of a eureka moment when I saw a few videos about keeping your elbow up and arm parallel to the ground whilst completing the follow through. Tried this today and saw a remarkable improvement. At least for the top half of the board. I'm not sure how you should adjust this position though to hit lower numbers like D7, 19, 3, 17, 2, etc. Do you just throw a lot lighter or say bend more from the waist?
I maintain the same form as far as elbow up, upper arm parallel to the floor, forearm perpendicular to the floor, but tend to release the darts just a bit later when throwing to the bottom of the board.
(12-10-2016, 09:15 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: I maintain the same form as far as elbow up, upper arm parallel to the floor, forearm perpendicular to the floor, but tend to release the darts just a bit later when throwing to the bottom of the board.

Thanks gumbo, I'll try this. The only problem I see with this is that when you come to aim for the lower half of the board your elbow is going to tend to want to drop and therefore your arm is no longer parallel to the floor. I'm working 12 hour nights tonight so should be able to get some practice in.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(12-10-2016, 09:20 PM)Andy O Wrote:
(12-10-2016, 09:15 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: I maintain the same form as far as elbow up, upper arm parallel to the floor, forearm perpendicular to the floor, but tend to release the darts just a bit later when throwing to the bottom of the board.

Thanks gumbo, I'll try this. The only problem I see with this is that when you come to aim for the lower half of the board your elbow is going to tend to want to drop and therefore your arm is no longer parallel to the floor. I'm working 12 hour nights tonight so should be able to get some practice in.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Just be aware that what works for some, will not work for all.     Everyone's throw is individual and it may be that you will find it easier to simply have your upper arm not be parallel to the floor and slightly angled downward.   Good luck with getting this issue solved.
Just had 4 games at work of 501 and won 3 -1 finishing on 69 (19, 12 D19), 28 (D14) and 18 (9, 1, D4) all on the first attempt at a finish so starting to hit the mark. Next league match is Thursday 15th so have a few days to get some more practice in before some pressure games but this is looking promising. Thanks for all advice.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Darts flying out the top....... Sparx100 4 225 03-23-2021, 12:41 AM
Last Post: studart
  Random very high darts Ed180 9 638 06-27-2020, 12:57 AM
Last Post: Pidge
  Throw straight but darts land low or high Bob dart 3 675 08-06-2018, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Bob dart
  Problem with darts flying through air. Help? Jimmyp 9 877 05-22-2018, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Rod Dogg
  What causes the high right miss? cubdog 10 954 03-22-2018, 06:38 AM
Last Post: Atilla
  Darts always going to high TheJoker989 9 1,980 01-01-2018, 03:37 PM
Last Post: wongerchi
  How high does your elbow go? LionCityDarter 6 1,377 07-08-2015, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Adams