Shot Darts

Throwing Action Problem/Possible Daritis
Hello all,

I am looking for some advice,

I would say every 4th dart or so my arm seems to jerk to the left and this makes the dart head towards the 9 bed.

I think it may be the first signs of Dartitis but I am unsure.

It appears to be getting worse as well which is worrying.

Anybody had experience with something similar?
I've had some experience with dartitis over the years, twice as a matter of fact and what you are describing is not indicative of dartitis. When you get a bout of dartitis, it is both a mental thing that transforms into a physical thing where you want to release the dart, but for some reason, just can't. Check out some videos of Mark Webster, a PDC pro who is struggling with it now to some extent. His throw is fairly fluid for a while, but when he's being pressed by his opponent in a close match you can see him struggling with his release. He often looks like he's ready to walk to the board on every throw and his action is anything but smooth.

And it seems the more you try to overcome it by just pushing through, the worse it gets. A stray dart here than there, to me, is more a lack of concentration on your part.
Yeah I have noticed that in Mark's throw.

It is a weird one because the more I try to fight against it the worse it becomes.
As a former (knock on wood) long time sufferer of the dreaded "D" I can say you're not suffering from it, or the oncoming of such.

Overthinking the issue (paralysis by over analysis) is more the problem than anything else I'd say. Try not to think how you're going throw the dart at the target, rather focus on only the target itself. Should alleviate the issue you're having.

Question though, does this happen during practice at home/other or just in competitive matches/league as such?
Hello,

Thanks for the response.

I only really play at home on my own so I cant even blame pressure.
I keep trying other actions to alleviate the problem but to no avail.

The reason I thought it was the dreaded "D" word was because it does sometimes make me stutter as I throw.
(12-09-2016, 03:02 PM)BritpopCam Wrote: Hello,

Thanks for the response.

The reason I thought it was the dreaded "D" word was because it does sometimes make me stutter as I throw.

Just try not to overthink your throwing action.  When not having a session on the board proper you can do this.  When walking by your darts/board just throw three without any thinking as you're passing by.
if its around the 4th dart i presume you have thrown 3, gone to the board taken them out and reset at the oche to throw again?

If so, when you get back to the oche, take your stance, rotate your shoulder in a circular motion backwards 5 times, then forwards 5 times, then throw see if this helps, you may have a build up of air/fluid in the socket that when you throw releases and skews your release,...similar to fluid/air getting trapped in your knuckles and your finger jerks a tad when it "cracks"

if you feel it emanating more from your elbow then stretch it slightly, if its more from hour hand rotate your rist clockwise then anti-clockwise same as you would your shoulder
(12-09-2016, 02:22 PM)Great White North Wrote: As a former (knock on wood) long time sufferer of the dreaded "D" I can say you're not suffering from it, or the oncoming of such.

Overthinking the issue (paralysis by over analysis) is more the problem than anything else I'd say.  Try not to think how you're going throw the dart at the target, rather focus on only the target itself.  Should alleviate the issue you're having.  

Question though, does this happen during practice at home/other or just in competitive matches/league as such?

(12-09-2016, 05:08 PM)Jamesr4300 Wrote: if its around the 4th dart i presume you have thrown 3, gone to the board taken them out and reset at the oche to throw again?

If so, when you get back to the oche, take your stance, rotate your shoulder in a circular motion backwards 5 times, then forwards 5 times, then throw see if this helps, you may have a build up of air/fluid in the socket that when you throw releases and skews your release,...similar to fluid/air getting trapped in your knuckles and your finger jerks a tad when it "cracks"

if you feel it emanating more from your elbow then stretch it slightly, if its more from hour hand rotate your rist clockwise then anti-clockwise same as you would your shoulder

Great thanks for the advice I will give this a try Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(12-09-2016, 03:16 PM)Great White North Wrote:

Thanks for the response.

Just try not to overthink your throwing action.  When not having a session on the board proper you can do this.  When walking by your darts/board just throw three without any thinking as you're passing by.

I am certainly no expert, but Great White's advice here echoes my own experience. My thinking is the jerks or snatching that can happen is your brain trying to make micro-corrections during the throw. The problem is our arms cannot react as quickly as our brains can think. The throw must be smooth and complete without brain interference. I think drills that focus on a smooth throw, rather than accuracy are very important. The throw becomes like a leap of faith. You make the motion without the brain trying to steer the dart. Observing where the dart lands and the feel of your throw help your brain make the adjustments needed for the next dart. The key is learning to feel the motion so the throw can be repeated. You miss just left, your brain says do the same thing but just a little more to the right. Your brain makes the adjustment BEFORE you throw the next dart. Once you start your motion, the brain needs to get out of the way. Hope this is helpful.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

(12-09-2016, 05:33 PM)Dartbuggy Wrote:
(12-09-2016, 03:16 PM)Great White North Wrote:

Thanks for the response.

I am certainly no expert, but Great White's advice here echoes my own experience. My thinking is the jerks or snatching that can happen is your brain trying to make micro-corrections during the throw. The problem is our arms cannot react as quickly as our brains can think. The throw must be smooth and complete without brain interference. I think drills that focus on a smooth throw, rather than accuracy are very important. The throw becomes like a leap of faith. You make the motion without the brain trying to steer the dart. Observing where the dart lands and the feel of your throw help your brain make the adjustments needed for the next dart. The key is learning to feel the motion so the throw can be repeated. You miss just left, your brain says do the same thing but just a little more to the right. Your brain makes the adjustment BEFORE you throw the next dart. Once you start your motion, the brain needs to get out of the way. Hope this is helpful.
That's great advice thank you,

I appreciate all the advice folks.
One thing to consider (if you're not already doing it) is to add a practice drill that is all about the throw and not about the result. By that I mean, you're concentrating on throwing well and not too concerned with hitting your targets.

This may sound like a counter-intuitive way of getting better but I firmly believe it's the way to go.

Basically, you are trying to groove your throw in a low-pressure environment. As it becomes more reliable and repeatable you should see a reduction in these snatchy-type throws.

(This type of practice is A1 in Flight School.)

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
This is an interesting thread for me. I've struggled with the D word for nearly 4 years now, occasionally I have spells where I play my normal game for a short spell then I struggle worse than before. I gave up league darts this season after one really bad night in the pub, I almost fell over trying to throw the dart and put my back out. I only persevere as I love the game. I'm trying a new regime of counting from 3 down to one then just throwing, bought a set of 17g darts also. I did hit a 180 first night with them but not much else. Any tips would be appreciated.
John
(12-10-2016, 10:41 PM)Tuono Wrote: This is an interesting thread for me. I've struggled with the D word for nearly 4 years now, occasionally I have spells where I play my normal game for a short spell then I struggle worse than before. I gave up league darts this season after one really bad night in the pub, I almost fell over trying to throw the dart and put my back out. I only persevere as I love the game. I'm trying a new regime of counting from 3 down to one then just throwing, bought a set of 17g darts also. I did hit a 180 first night with them but not much else. Any tips would be appreciated.
John

I feel your pain as I've had a couple bouts with the dreaded dartitis over the years I've been playing.    What worked for me was to keep throwing, but not at anything in particular, just to get the motion back without all the hiccups of dartitis.   

It didn't happen overnight and once I started tossing with meaning it would sometimes creep back into my throw.   When this happened I'd stop throwing and take a bit of a rest and resume throwing.   Eventually it got much better, and luckily for me, my game actually improved once the yips were over.  

It is one of the most frustrating things I've ever dealt with in my life because the game is really so simple and it seems like nothing like this should come into play----------------but you and I, and many others know it does.

I wish you luck in overcoming this.
Thanx for your input Gumbo, it's beyond frustrating at times lol. I had a spell of about a month where I was playing well. Missed the bull for a 10 darter in a semi final and things felt great. Then woke up one day boom it was back. Trying the idea of just throwing at the board but the competitive side of me kicks in ?
(12-11-2016, 12:50 AM)Tuono Wrote: Thanx for your input Gumbo, it's beyond frustrating at times lol. I had a spell of about a month where I was playing well. Missed the bull for a 10 darter in a semi final and things felt great. Then woke up one day boom it was back. Trying the idea of just throwing at the board but the competitive side of me kicks in ?

** A1 and A2 are Flight School drills **

The A2 drill is just about grouping.  It has a point to it - you are trying to throw 3 darts closely grouped - but there's no pressure to hit a target.  The skill you are developing is being able to throw three darts with the same repeatable and reliable throw.

This drill (and A1) are, by design non-competitive.  I don't think it's helpful to make every throw in practice be under the same mental conditions as League.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wrist action Helmie 4 606 12-31-2020, 05:56 PM
Last Post: TJ106
  Dart Change action Cat 21 5,059 05-28-2015, 05:46 AM
Last Post: FireStorm