Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Weight of the dart
Hello 

What is the right way of testing how much gram darts you need?
Buy every weight possible and try them all out Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(12-06-2016, 10:59 PM)joeriw96 Wrote: Buy every weight possible and try them all out Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

It's the only way!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts: Target Carrera C10 - 24g
Dartboard: One80 Gladiator II
Lighting: Target Vision 360
Surround: Winmau Orange
I don't think this a question you can answer. The shape of the dart and the way that you throw are as important (if not more important) than the actual weight of the dart.

Finding the right dart is, as the posters above have said, is a matter of trying different shapes and seeing what works for you.

Saying that, the most popular weights seem to be in the 22-24g range.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
Agree with the above. I'll add as I've mentioned numerous times, for me it's about the balance and not necessarily the weight or profile.
Length, grip and shape of the dart will always be more important than a gram or two either way. As an example, suppose you are trying to buy a set of a darts for a friend and you just learned from his wife that he really wants a set of 25g Amberjacks. Then you go to the Red Dragon page to see these choices: https://www.reddragondarts.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=amberjack

If your friend wants the Amberjack 6 and you get him the Amberjack 14, it's not ideal but he'll probably be able to live with it. But if he wants the Amberjack 6 and you get him the Amberjack 15, you've probably just bought him a set of darts he can't use.

Concur with everyone really, for me too, shape, grip etc are a much bigger deal than weight.  What I would advise if you're thinking about changing weight, try and keep the profile of the dart the same so that you're only changing weight.  

Don't do what someone I "know" did and go from a 26g bullet to a 21g straight barrel in one shot, that experiment did not end well... Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(12-07-2016, 02:04 AM)wongerchi Wrote: Concur with everyone really, for me too, shape, grip etc are a much bigger deal than weight.  What I would advise if you're thinking about changing weight, try and keep the profile of the dart the same so that you're only changing weight.  

Don't do what someone I "know" did and go from a 26g bullet to a 21g straight barrel in one shot, that experiment did not end well... Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Sure is some silly darters out there. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I used to think that the weight of a dart was the least important part of a dart. But going from 24g to 18g soft tips (16g) with the same measurements has improved my game. I used to have big fishtailing issues that have disappeared.

Also a past member that shall remain nameless has made me think about weight of a dart and the length of matches with his posts on twitter and reddit. How it might be more beneficial to use lighter darts the longer format you are playing/
(12-07-2016, 10:26 AM)JDorks Wrote: I used to think that the weight of a dart was the least important part of a dart. But going from 24g to 18g soft tips (16g) with the same measurements has improved my game. I used to have big fishtailing issues that have disappeared.

Also a past member that shall remain nameless has made me think about weight of a dart and the length of matches with his posts on twitter and reddit. How it might be more beneficial to use lighter darts the longer format you are playing/

Weight is a bigger deal if you're talking about a difference of six grams, sure. But a gram or two here or there is still going to be less important than the length and shape of the barrel for over 99% of players. I use a 26g dart that's 45.8mm x 7.3mm and I can throw my niece's 23g Winmau Ton Machines (45.8mm x 7.2mm) MUCH better than I can throw a 26g set of skinny pointed garden hoses like the Paul Nicholson darts (55.2mm x 6.4mm). 

And sure, that's only one person and one example, but I think those results would be very typical and would go both ways. Find someone who prefers a shorter, thicker dart like a 24g Winmau Ton Machine and swears by its weight, and then see how that person does with a set of 24g Red Dragon Patriots. Conversely, find anyone whose arrows of choice are the Brendan Dolan dart in their "perfect weight" and then hand them a set of John Lowes in that weight. Most people, most of us mere mortals anyway, would see a sharp drop in performance. 

The past member who shall remain nameless makes many a good point about weight, but let's not forget that he's good enough to have thrown a 180 with a 5g set, a 48g set, and he's probably thrown a over a dozen in every other weight he's ever tried. How many others are that good? Besides, on the Perfect Darts forum you can see more than one post from him saying that with sufficient practice anyone can throw any weight well, and while I'm not completely convinced of that myself it does lend at least some credence to the notion that shape and length is more important than weight.

I can't speak for him, but knowing what I do from our Twitter chats I'll guess that while he throws 20g darts, he'd prefer a 18g or 22g set in the same length / width / grip his current match set has over any knurled set of 20gs in existence. I hope he sees this and lets me know if I'm right. If he does, I'll share it here (whether I'm right or wrong) if it's okay with him.

I also think it is easier to adjust your arm to the weight as to adjust your grip of the barrel.

I use some heavier darts to warm up my arm, then i go back to my 16g.
Beginner.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
My little darts collection

180th: 14x
Highfinishes: 118 (20 T20 D19), 112 (T20 12 D20), 108 (T20 16 D16), 102 (T20 10 D16), 110 (T19 17 D18), 101 (T17 B)
The leg of my life: 12 Darts (T20 T20 T20 20 ( :s no 9darter Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ) T20 20 20 T20 T20 T20 5 D8) 

(12-07-2016, 12:22 PM)Berlin180 Wrote: I can't speak for him, but knowing what I do from our Twitter chats I'll guess that while he throws 20g darts, he'd prefer a 18g or 22g set in the same length / width / grip his current match set has over any knurled set of 20gs in existence. I hope he sees this and lets me know if I'm right. If he does, I'll share it here (whether I'm right or wrong) if it's okay with him.

I think he'd prefer to throw his 5g darts over knurled darts with hammerheads in his perfect weight, length and width Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(12-07-2016, 12:40 PM)JDorks Wrote:
(12-07-2016, 12:22 PM)Berlin180 Wrote: I can't speak for him, but knowing what I do from our Twitter chats I'll guess that while he throws 20g darts, he'd prefer a 18g or 22g set in the same length / width / grip his current match set has over any knurled set of 20gs in existence. I hope he sees this and lets me know if I'm right. If he does, I'll share it here (whether I'm right or wrong) if it's okay with him.

I think he'd prefer to throw his 5g darts over knurled darts with hammerheads in his perfect weight, length and width Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Okay, that was hilarious, well done. You got an out-loud laugh from over here.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.