Harrows Darts.

Using Trainer Board - Problem with focus
Hello there

i am using a Unicorn Trainer Board at the moment and i know i cant 180s all the day, but i noticed an interessting (for me) problem.

When i am aiming T20, T18, T15... my darts are not going in any kind of the direction to it, they are for example on the T20 wide in the "5" or "1" or in the lower S20 segment. 

Is there anyone facing same issue? Is this because of a smaller field which may not be big enough to have the correct focus as before? 
I am not talking about the darts going above or under the wire, the darts fly wild around the area.

Thank you!
I fell for the whole "trainer board" thing many years ago and it was a very short-lived experiment for me. The level of frustration wasn't worth it in the long run and I finally decided to practice on what you will face every time you walk to the oche in league, tournaments, etc. and leave the gimmicks for others.

As you can see, I'm not a fan of the things and will never have another one.
I don't see the point of a trainer board.

It's like practicing to be a better basketball player by shooting at one of those small oval carnival nets.

Agree with Gumbo and Jugger.  I'm directionally challenged as it is.  Don't need to complicate it - my B4 DC is laughing up its sleeve at me as it is.  Might as well just aim for my freshly painted paneling and make new holes to patch.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
But Can you explain the Problem with the Focus?
(12-05-2016, 10:18 PM)stahlmann Wrote: But Can you explain the Problem with the Focus?

My guess it's the six inches or so between your ears that's having that effect.  Your focus is conflicted by overthinking on a smaller target, with the end result being darts off line/scattered.  Throwing at the smaller T20 segment is easier as you're throwing there the majority of the time.  Just my opinion/theory on it. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts is very heavily based on confidence.
Missing tiny segments does nothing for confidence, which will obviously have a negative effect on focus.

Dump the trainer board and practice on what you will be playing on. Build your confidence.

I have a trainer board and I don't usually put it on the wall for more than three weeks in a row. And for more than six week in a year...
I wouldn't call it a gimmick but I wouldn't definitelly recommend it to newbies though. I consider myself as a middle better player (60+ avg) but it can be pretty frustrating indeed when all your great 80+ scores turn into poor 40+.

The same applies to doubles. However, last time I played on it I was hitting doubles for fun:-) I couldn't believe it. When I began to use the trainer I usually finished almost every leg on D1. And it wasn't with the first dart at all...

Yeah, it really makes you realize how poor you are in hitting all three darts into one bed.

What I liked about my Bulls Trainer - it wasn't as noisy as the old Blade 4 was. Now I switch it with Bulls 5.01 and the difference isn't that big.

I thought to myself that the harder in the practice, the easier it would be in real matches. However, I'd say don't buy a trainer if it should be your only dartboard unless you are a really good player.
(12-05-2016, 10:30 PM)Jugger Wrote: Darts is very heavily based on confidence.
Missing tiny segments does nothing for confidence, which will obviously have a negative effect on focus.

Dump the trainer board and practice on what you will be playing on.  Build your confidence.

On target, unlike my darts:-)
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Been playing on my trainer board 2 weeks now.(it's the dmi pro trainer board)Really good board and really quiet.I don't mine not hitting the Trips..as long as my grouping is decent.I wouldn't buy it for a full price tho.So I got mine from Evilbay for a cheap price..
(12-05-2016, 10:30 PM)Jugger Wrote: Darts is very heavily based on confidence.

Dump the trainer board and practice on what you will be playing on. Build your confidence.

Could not agree more. We actually had this debate the other night at League, I was genuinely surprised that I was in the minority on this one.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Australian Dart Trainer nigo75 0 144 01-09-2021, 05:26 AM
Last Post: nigo75
  Eye focus Jamesr4300 16 2,236 05-27-2017, 04:07 AM
Last Post: Terje Sandvik
  aiming and focus English Animal 6 1,164 04-16-2016, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Renwick180
  How do you create FOCUS and MAINTAIN it ? Grey Owl 9 1,568 12-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Grey Owl
  Trainer Boards vs Standard redhedkev 11 3,941 01-15-2014, 03:20 AM
Last Post: mgm37