Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

DIY Dart Board cabinet
Wanted to see input on my DIY Dart Board cabinet and any recommendations on how to mount it on the wall?  (link to pictures below)

I was thinking about putting a lug bolt into a stud through the middle of it so it would keep it secure?  I may use two smaller screws instead.

I am also trying to figure out a good wall protector that I can have below it for when my kids throw darts?

Pictures of my DIY Dart Board cabinet
I've never been a fan of dartboard cabinets as I find them to be too confining for my liking. Too busy if you will since I like open spaces and I especially don't like chalking on a door to the cabinet.

I would recommend you use 2 flathead screws to secure it to the wall to keep it securely mounted as opposed to one large bolt. That way there is no way it can swivel on you.

As for protection for the wall when the kids play, why not get an appropriate size piece of plywood and cover it with some indoor/outdoor carpet and screw it to the wall, or maybe a piece of rubber floor mat material instead of the carpet.

Edited to add this: By the way, good work on the cabinet. I too do a good bit of woodworking in my home shop. I believe I've seen these exact same plans on a woodworking plan site I've visited a few times over the years.
That looks great, very nicely made, top job! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Really swell job you did there Herushan!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thanks, and I was thinking of getting some carpet squares to do what your talking about gumbo2176. I did a cabinet so I could put the dart board up in my game room I am finishing in my basement (mainly for my wife to be ok with it on the wall). I did get the plans from a wood working site and changed some of the oak to hemlock which turned out pretty nice. The plans are located at https://www.woodsmithplans.com/plan/dartboard-cabinet/. I cannot wait to put it up and take a pic so you can see why my wife wanted a cabinet for the board.

Edit: I also do not like chalk and that is why I put white boards on the door.
(12-02-2016, 03:57 PM)Herushan Wrote: Thanks, and I was thinking of getting some carpet squares to do what your talking about gumbo2176.  I did a cabinet so I could put the dart board up in my game room I am finishing in my basement (mainly for my wife to be ok with it on the wall).  I did get the plans from a wood working site and changed some of the oak to hemlock which turned out pretty nice.  The plans are located at https://www.woodsmithplans.com/plan/dartboard-cabinet/.  I cannot wait to put it up and take a pic so you can see why my wife wanted a cabinet for the board.

Edit: I also do not like chalk and that is why I put white boards on the door.

I've got 2 boards up in my man cave and both boards have the white dry erase scoreboards.   For many years I used the basic chalk board but got tired of all the mess associated with chalk.    The dry erase boards are so much nicer and keep the area where the boards are much cleaner.  Do post pics when it is all set up.
This is top notch wood work ,,,, wish I had such skills,,,, I bought a Delta frame and trim saw at an auction the other day ,,, hoping to figure out how it works,,, lol,,,,, Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I wish I had this on my wall ,,,,, Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Will do gumbo2176.  If I put the dartboard in my man cave then the cabinet wouldn't have been a requirement.  I have a lot of network equipment and electronics work that will be in my man cave so have to put the dartboard out where I will have a pool table eventually.

Picture of wall where dartboard will go.  In the picture you can see the wall section where the board will go in the big area between the windows.  I have some foam mats to put on top of the tile during play and thinking of almost doing a mosaic wall protector that goes with the board on the wall.  Still have a lot to do before I get there unfortunately (basement needs to get finished).
(12-02-2016, 05:05 PM)0ldjoblo Wrote: This is top notch wood work ,,,, wish I had such skills,,,, I bought a Delta frame and trim saw at an auction the other day ,,, hoping to figure out how it works,,, lol,,,,, Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I wish I had this on my wall ,,,,, Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Oldjoblo, you are too kind Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. I did a lot of work with a coworker of mine in his workshop as I did not have the tools as well.  I really enjoy making things though and it was a fun project to do with a friend.  When you are finishing a basement and trying to save money you learn a lot of new skills as well.
Great piece of craftsmanship.
And it makes much more fun to use something made with the own hands :-)
(12-02-2016, 05:05 PM)Herushan Wrote: Will do gumbo2176.  If I put the dartboard in my man cave then the cabinet wouldn't have been a requirement.  I have a lot of network equipment and electronics work that will be in my man cave so have to put the dartboard out where I will have a pool table eventually.

Picture of wall where dartboard will go.  In the picture you can see the wall section where the board will go in the big area between the windows.  I have some foam mats to put on top of the tile during play and thinking of almost doing a mosaic wall protector that goes with the board on the wall.  Still have a lot to do before I get there unfortunately (basement needs to get finished).

I like the wall finish.  Looks like a faux finish on sheetrock from the picture you have.   Nice floors too.   Love that size ceramic for a floor.   I can see you still have a bit of trim work to do.    What are you going to do for lighting the board?

I have track lighting on a power strip about 12 ft. long mounted to my ceiling with 3 LED bulbs on each board.  I recently replaced the halogen bulbs with LED's and the difference in the amount of heat is very noticeable.
(12-02-2016, 08:50 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(12-02-2016, 05:05 PM)Herushan Wrote: Will do gumbo2176.  If I put the dartboard in my man cave then the cabinet wouldn't have been a requirement.  I have a lot of network equipment and electronics work that will be in my man cave so have to put the dartboard out where I will have a pool table eventually.

I like the wall finish.  Looks like a faux finish on sheetrock from the picture you have.   Nice floors too.   Love that size ceramic for a floor.   I can see you still have a bit of trim work to do.    What are you going to do for lighting the board?

I have track lighting on a power strip about 12 ft. long mounted to my ceiling with 3 LED bulbs on each board.  I recently replaced the halogen bulbs with LED's and the difference in the amount of heat is very noticeable.

Not sure on lighting for the board itself may get a dedicated light to install into the cabinet top or run LED battery powered system inside the cabinet.
Finally got my cabinet and board setup on the wall.  Here is a pic of it on the wall. Cabinet on wall. I need to put the scoring guide on the whiteboards still, but it is nice to have it setup.
Excellent carpentry.  It's beautiful work. It looks nice on the wall.
Looks really nice, never been a fan of cabinets and I've tried a few but that's personal preference.

I'd say use a bracket that came with a board to mount in the centre then use a screw in each top corner to support. You've got to think about how you're going to mount the board to the cabinet if you've got a lug going through centre.

I'd say for below it use large piece of Styrofoam cut to size that you got in a large package, like a tv or computer etc and just double sided tape it to the wall (will only need a couple tiny squares).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Darts: Winmau Navigator 23g
Board: Winmau Blade 5 and MvG Cabinet 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  unicorn cabinet problem. Mark Hammond 9 476 02-11-2019, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Mark Hammond
  Dart Board Stand Scott12 9 964 10-02-2018, 06:15 AM
Last Post: ayyrex
  Dart board stand recommendations GutshotGrant 3 801 03-11-2018, 04:52 PM
Last Post: GutshotGrant
  cabinet to hide dartboard? whippet0 16 3,201 11-17-2017, 08:12 AM
Last Post: whippet0
  Dart Board recommendation ? Karldawg 23 3,358 06-30-2017, 08:28 AM
Last Post: Bounce Out