Harrows Darts.

Taking out a strong but 'emotional' opponent out of his top game
What to do to take out a strong but a very EMOTIONAL opponent out of his top game?  I’ll be honest, he’s a better shooter than I am else I wouldn’t be resorting to such mind games.

I'm looking for strategy shots that I can take to piss off my opponent so much that his game will suffer.   I understand some people shoot better when pissed off but not this opponent.  I saw a video for Bobby George where he discusses tricks such as: dropping or clacking your darts, walking back to the oche on the wrong side but I don’t want these gimics.  

Thanks!

I'm probably the wrong person to answer this.... but....

Depending on the importance of the game... I would very likely climb right into his head and discretely chip away at his brain until he snapped.

But.... I have always been incredibly interested in the psychological side of pretty much every game.

(12-01-2016, 03:00 PM)Jugger Wrote:  I would very likely climb right into his head and discretely chip away at his brain until he snapped.

Can you elaborate on the 'how'  ?

break his throwing arm Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(12-01-2016, 03:06 PM)Joe Dar Wrote:
(12-01-2016, 03:00 PM)Jugger Wrote:  I would very likely climb right into his head and discretely chip away at his brain until he snapped.

Can you elaborate on the 'how'  ?

Oh I would imagine a wide variety of tiny things.  If he's a nice guy, I'd maybe not be too terribly ruthless, keep it subtle.... mess with his rhythm a bit.  I will very often talk to myself while throwing and retrieving my darts... just loud enough to make sure they hear the stupid stuff I say.  I have went as far as slowly walking up to my darts and talking to them while they are still stuck in the board... Little things like that are enough to throw off a person's concentration.

If the guy is an idiot... it gets worse.... I don't ever mess with people as they are actually throwing though.

I did play a guy once that wore a bunch of jewelry and would make all kinds of rattling noises with it while I was throwing.  Didn't bother me, but I took it as an invitation to mess with him....

I've got a friend that I practice with quite a bit and when I'm getting the best of him, he will resort to some stall tactics like Jugger mentioned.   He will take his time at the oche, toss his darts more deliberately and slowly walk to the board, sometimes staring at them like they offended him before scoring and retrieving his darts.   Then he will slowly circumnavigate the area before he's out of my line of sight.

The first few times he did this, it bothered me and threw me off a bit.   Now, I want it to happen because I know he's struggling and I am getting to him.    Moral to this is sometimes these type tactics can backfire, so be careful how you go about it.

I would never deliberately stand behind my opponent and make noises by rattling my darts, whistling, talking, etc.    There are some things that are just taking it too far.
Throwing your darts better than him is pretty much guaranteed to unsettle him, and if it doesn't, hey, you've won anyway Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Here some ideas.

1) Show up late due to smoke, washroom, drink ... make him wait
2) Talk to him non stop ... then after the match they are no longer interested in chatting ... go figure
3) Drop the chalk often ... modifying his rhythm
4) Ask him which side of the board is your score when you are losing
5) Mentally enjoy when he is upset at himself, his bounce out, his bad luck, the poor board WHATEVER ... and believe in yourself
6) Prepare yourself to pounce on your opportunities ... identify yourself as a come from be-hinder ... relish this role
7) Make him regret giving you a chance and work on this part of your game
8) Remember that 'All the pressure to win is on his shoulders' ... meaning you play relaxed
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Darts: 22g Rebel One80 / 22g John Part Golden Hero
Stems: Harrow Magnetic Mediums
Flights: Combat
Board: Blade 4
Board Light: Circumluminator

Highest checkout: 167
Favorite checkout: 125 (50-25-50)
Fave players: Anderson, Wright, Part
Fave double: D16
Fave double in: D20
Best Game: 9 Dart 501

Best Darting Moments: playing John Part at an Exhibition / Being in attendance at World Grand Prix in Dublin 2014
(12-01-2016, 03:37 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: Moral to this is sometimes these type tactics can backfire, so be careful how you go about it.

That right there is very important to remember.
You better have your own mind under control before trying to mess with anyone, because you know they are going to try and turn the tables.

(12-01-2016, 04:12 PM)Steve_00 Wrote: Throwing your darts better than him is pretty much guaranteed to unsettle him, and if it doesn't, hey, you've won anyway Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Agreed, best way to unsettle any player. :thumbup:  

Check out that MvG chap, works for him by the looks. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Just ask him if he Breathes in or out or holds his breathe when he is on the oche.
He'll be to busy thinking about that to play well..

Chris..
I personally wouldn't bother trying. I use my energy and focus on my own game, not theirs.

The only thing I try to do that is for my opponent's "benefit" as much as mine is never ever show negative emotion. I never throw a dart away and I never berate myself for a bad visit. This helps me but it also shows them that I'm not going to just roll over for them.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
(12-03-2016, 12:27 AM)Banz Wrote: I personally wouldn't bother trying.  I use my energy and focus on my own game, not theirs.

The only thing I try to do that is for my opponent's "benefit" as much as mine is never ever show negative emotion.  I never throw a dart away and I never berate myself for a bad visit.  This helps me but it also shows them that I'm not going to just roll over for them.

This....and smile when you turn back from retrieving every throw, after all you are enjoying playing your favourite game.
Current Board 
Blade 5 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore  charcoal flights and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
(12-03-2016, 12:27 AM)Banz Wrote: I personally wouldn't bother trying. I use my energy and focus on my own game, not theirs.

Agreed. This is how it should be.
How do you deal with a person who rubs his darts together constantly while you are throwing ?

Match Darts=Target Darryl Fitton,s® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? ®

And..A few sets of spares .®   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Cheers,
 Ken 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking out 116 brenthahn 35 5,064 05-31-2019, 04:54 PM
Last Post: brenthahn
  Help, this is already taking 3 years.. Darts1234 7 789 08-23-2018, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Darts1234
  Stress, pressure and taking comments from your team. LethalEagle 9 772 04-05-2018, 07:05 PM
Last Post: LethalEagle
  Give your opponent the elbow! Dorian 2 981 11-21-2016, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Joe Darts
  How to overcome emotional barrier? Aaron Chan 42 4,909 11-12-2016, 04:32 AM
Last Post: robert829
  Practice Duration When Taking Frequent Breaks Joe Darts 9 1,295 11-03-2016, 04:44 PM
Last Post: mcockrell
  taking out 134? Spartan 20 3,364 11-01-2015, 04:16 AM
Last Post: Black Dog