Darts Buddy

Rough Darts Points
Question 
Greetings Folks,

with reference to the 180 pictured, this is MVG game against Dolan (Grand Slam 2016), Peter Wright, Adrian Lewis points are the same and I notice that the points are very rough, dull and looks even pitted. 

Does anyone know what type of points these are? How do you get the barrel of the point barrels to be like this?

Kind regards

Joe

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

just normal points roughened up with a heavy sandpaper.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Medicine Hat Darts League---------------------------------                 Darts Used: 22g One80 R2 Renegade's
tried that, even used wet'n'day emery paper, and all it seems to do is shine up the surface.

How course would the sandpaper be to achieve that result?
I use the English steel (black) vs shiny silver and use a heavy grit sandpaper, after that it is very hard to get your darts out of the board.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Medicine Hat Darts League---------------------------------                 Darts Used: 22g One80 R2 Renegade's
(11-29-2016, 04:47 AM)Leaky Wrote: I use the English steel (black) vs shiny silver and use a heavy grit sandpaper, after that it is very hard to get your darts out of the board.

Greetings Leaky,

can you please supply the link as to where you purchase your points, also which company do you get them from.

Kind regards

Joe
My Son has to rough his points up as he throws quite "lightly" whereas I throw hard !.

He gets a few drop outs if he doesnt rough them, mine just "bury" up to the barrel !
Match DartsUnicorn Gary Anderson Phase 4, 25g

"Nil Satis Nisi Optimum"

Darts 'sharpener' stones work for scuffing your points. (Darts don't really need sharpening btw). Fish hook sharpeners apparently work. At the pub I play at there's a big block, I'm guessing a knife sharpener. Another pub has an old angle grinder disc by the board. Kerbstones or concrete slabs work in a pinch, too.

i use flat dart sharpening stone and it works really well. the grip seems to last longer than when i use sandpaper too.

https://www.madhousedarts.co.uk/accessor...s-001.html
Darts: 22g Darts Clearance 
Shafts: Archers Vice Grip Medium
Flights: RD Standard 

Sandpaper here too, well I guess technically "emery cloth"... doesn't really matter what kind of point it is as long as you use the right type of sandpaper.

I use emery cloth like Jugger has stated with these points https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_in...s_id=20250 I am a firm believer in long points as it opens up more of the treble by getting your barrel further away from your target as well as I also use my pinky finger in my grip at the end of the point.  I sand blast the black coating off when I get them, but sand paper will also take it off too. I find the silver on points like these are very hard to roughen up with the coating on them from factory like these https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_in...ts_id=1538
(11-29-2016, 02:14 AM)Aussie Joe Wrote: Greetings Folks,

with reference to the 180 pictured, this is MVG game against Dolan (Grand Slam 2016), Peter Wright, Adrian Lewis points are the same and I notice that the points are very rough, dull and looks even pitted. 

Does anyone know what type of points these are? How do you get the barrel of the point barrels to be like this?

I agree that there is some treatment besides sandpaper happening with MVG's points. I'm attaching the best HD screenshot that I could get from today's Final. It just doesn't look like the surface you get from rough sandpaper.  I see rough, dull and pitted... as Joe said.

I have used vinegar to dissolve the remainder of a broken off point that was too short to try to clamp and pull. I might experiment with lightly etching some old points like that just to see what happens.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Loos as though the points have been left out in the open for a period of time to rust, laying on a piece of none treated steel plate would achieve that effect, rust cleaned off & fitted to his match darts will still have the roughness & pitting
(01-03-2017, 01:22 PM)Little al Wrote: Looks as though the points have been left out in the open for a period of time to rust, laying on a piece of none treated steel plate would achieve that effect, rust cleaned off & fitted to his match darts will still have the roughness & pitting

I think you are right. I tried the vinegar etch for a few hours, and it definitely gave the points a rougher feel, but it was an even texture and very fine. You need some hardcore rusting to take place in order to get the pitting. Probably need to protect the non-point end so that it still fits into the barrel properly.
His points look just like his darts.....

I'm going to guess he's had the same points for a long time.

(01-03-2017, 02:18 PM)hubz Wrote:
(01-03-2017, 01:22 PM)Little al Wrote: Looks as though the points have been left out in the open for a period of time to rust, laying on a piece of none treated steel plate would achieve that effect, rust cleaned off & fitted to his match darts will still have the roughness & pitting

I think you are right. I tried the vinegar etch for a few hours, and it definitely gave the points a rougher feel, but it was an even texture and very fine. You need some hardcore rusting to take place in order to get the pitting. Probably need to protect the non-point end so that it still fits into the barrel properly.

A tight wrap of cellotape or duct tape would keep the part that needs insertion in clean condition.