Harrows Darts.

Paper Airplane Thoughts
Good morning fellow beginners!  A visualization thought.

I have struggled with the dreaded left to right scatter (26!) for some time.  I will hit the occasional ton plus and even the rare 180, but my elbow rotating out on the throw has caused great inconsistency.  I think much of this is because I spent 15 years of my life playing baseball (pitcher and shortstop) and football (Quarterback) and think of "throwing" and having the object roll off of my fingers as my hand flips down towards the target.  An outward turn of the elbow is a natural result of this.

So, I was "throwing" last night and realized something.  If I "push" the dart instead of "throwing" the dart, my outward elbow rotation almost immediately went away.  Also, my darts were far, far less scattered left to right and more up and down (but pretty close groups as in four rounds of 501 my lowest score was a 60 except for out shots).  As I thought about it a bit more, I realized that the motion is almost identical to throwing a paper airplane.  You still extend your arm in a semi-throwing motion, but you really are pushing the airplane (in conjunction with extending your elbow and some wrist action) to get a good flight.  If you "throw" a paper airplane, it will typically nosedive into the ground.

Perhaps this is strange and random, and it may only help my fellow American beginning darters/former athletes, but I am always looking for advice on how to improve.  This visualization made a rapid improvement to my game virtually instantaneously, so I wanted to share.  And it lasted for a couple of hours.  Looking forward to getting home to practice this evening.

Forgive me is a similar thought has already been posted, but I have not seen it.

Call me crazy, but if this helps just one other beginner it was worth the time to write!
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

Its funny you mention paper airplane as that is exactly how I told my nephew to throw once, he hit a 180 before me too Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
That's a mental picture that is easy to visualise, never thought of it that way. I'm sure plenty of people can relate to it too
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Voks Tornado points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
Don't worry or think to much about it, if putting your throwing arm behind your ear gets you the number you are aiming at more times than not carry on the idea of this darts game is to get from a set number to zero with the least number of darts thrown how you achieve this providing you comply with the rules is up to you the style of throw that gets the best results is the way to go.
Little Al - I agree with what you are saying probably 90%. However, if I throw in a way that seems completely natural, I continued to fight the left to right issue. I honestly think that many on this forum are very accomplished darters and, at least some of that, comes with some a degree of natural ability. I experienced the same with football and baseball. I was a natural and needed very little coaching and lead both leagues in various stats. Unfortunately, darts is not the same for me.

And I absolutely agree that if what you are doing works, no matter how unusual your throw, then stick with it! All you have to do is watch one professional tournament and it is amazing how many great darters have throws that you would never, ever recommend to someone just starting out. You are absolutely spot on here. My thoughts were just for those that are struggling and, for me anyway, a simple visualization dramatically improved my game.

How I wish I had more natural talent....

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

Heard whoever was commentating on Kong's match in the cash converters pc that he pushes the dart instead of throwing it. Interesting idea.
[font=Courier New][font=Arial Black]Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro[/font][/font]

I honestly think it is more perception on my part than actuality. Whatever it is, it seems to be working. My throw is probably the same, but the mental picture helps me with consistency.

Push/pull can be related to grip position in relation to the darts c of g to some extent I think

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
2016 - 180 x 36, 170 x 1, Triple Bulls (150) - 1
2017 - 180 x 139, Triple Bulls (150) - 1
2018 - not couting, just throwing
Best leg - 11 darts

Lewis Gen 2 / Anderson Phase 3 Golden
Probably not just mental perception Ranger.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

There's a reason why Japanese Dart Barrel Designers design a lot of Japanese darts to be PUSHED, instead of dragged. Hence, many rear grip designs. 

And without going on about the Japanese players' form, if you haven't seen it, it is so, so so simple, elegant in it's simplicity, yet so effective! 

Sorry if this post was boring.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Great video I wish I could understand Japanese as it appears interesting
Really interesting video!

Really glad you found it interesting!

Previous post edited to avoid boredome. As suspected, don't think anyone cares. 
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Yeah they should put translation on it, looks very good
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(11-28-2016, 04:49 PM)ranger86 Wrote: Good morning fellow beginners!  A visualization thought.

I have struggled with the dreaded left to right scatter (26!) for some time.  I will hit the occasional ton plus and even the rare 180, but my elbow rotating out on the throw has caused great inconsistency.  I think much of this is because I spent 15 years of my life playing baseball (pitcher and shortstop) and football (Quarterback) and think of "throwing" and having the object roll off of my fingers as my hand flips down towards the target.  An outward turn of the elbow is a natural result of this.

So, I was "throwing" last night and realized something.  If I "push" the dart instead of "throwing" the dart, my outward elbow rotation almost immediately went away.  Also, my darts were far, far less scattered left to right and more up and down (but pretty close groups as in four rounds of 501 my lowest score was a 60 except for out shots).  As I thought about it a bit more, I realized that the motion is almost identical to throwing a paper airplane.  You still extend your arm in a semi-throwing motion, but you really are pushing the airplane (in conjunction with extending your elbow and some wrist action) to get a good flight.  If you "throw" a paper airplane, it will typically nosedive into the ground.

Perhaps this is strange and random, and it may only help my fellow American beginning darters/former athletes, but I am always looking for advice on how to improve.  This visualization made a rapid improvement to my game virtually instantaneously, so I wanted to share.  And it lasted for a couple of hours.  Looking forward to getting home to practice this evening.

Forgive me is a similar thought has already been posted, but I have not seen it.

Call me crazy, but if this helps just one other beginner it was worth the time to write!

This is incredibly helpful. I've been using paper plane imagery for a while and have have had mixed results, but adding the push concept has been huge. I imagine my fingers are holding the ridge of a paper plane, and I push the along the ridge. Important to have light properly angled fingers on the ridge just like on a paper plane. Great stuff.
(11-29-2016, 07:38 AM)Ancient Darter Wrote: Probably not just mental perception Ranger.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

There's a reason why Japanese Dart Barrel Designers design a lot of Japanese darts to be PUSHED, instead of dragged. Hence, many rear grip designs. 

And without going on about the Japanese players' form, if you haven't seen it, it is so, so so simple, elegant in it's simplicity, yet so effective! 

Sorry if this post was boring.

Interesting this. I have often wondered if straight barrels are the best option as we need to have extra clamping force through our fingers to grip it. 
Contrast this with tapered barrels etc, where the dart shape helps prevent slippage.
I wonder if there is something to this, as the Japanese are normally perfectionists at anything they do....but then again, all the PDC world champions typically throw a straight barrel.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My simple practise routines - No paper or computers needed GONKO 8 1,299 03-16-2018, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Rod Dogg