Darts Buddy

replicate home practice throw in public/games
When I practice alone at my house I can throw the dart (mechanically) exactly how I like to the majority of the time.  I still don't hit nearly enough targets, but the throw mostly feels sound to me.

I practice enough (a couple of hours a day) that I consciously know the steps of my throw quite well, but when I get into a public setting (competing against people or people just watching me throw) it starts to deteriorate quickly and completely. 

The problems start AFTER my feet are set on the line.

When practicing alone I site the target, raise the dart to my eye and aim, do a slight push forward of the dart toward the target, pull back, and release the dart forward.  Seems simple enough.

Once it deteriorates the above steps blend into one jumbled mess that goes something like this: site the target, start to raise the dart to my eye but can't get it completely up there (so I never really get to aim the way I like to), the slight push forward gets skipped, pull back from a lower position than I'd like, and release the dart forward.

I've been working on my game for about two years now and no matter how conscious I am of this issue I can't seem to correct it.  I'll even be at the oche telling myself exactly how I want to throw it and over and over again I can't seem to.  The issue is definitely mental/psychological/anxiety related.

Sometimes I've even given into it in public and just start throwing the darts, mechanics be damned, but my throws are often terrible when I do this.  I'm better off with my messed up jumbled mechanics that I'm not happy with.

I'm at the point where I don't know how to correct it. 

Do I change my practice throw to something that is easier to replicate in public so I'm at least practicing with what I use in games?
If so since I like the way my throw is in practice, what do I change it to?
If I don't change it how do I overcome these mental/psychological/anxiety issues that are warping my throw?
I'd say stick with what you're doing proper at home mechanics wise, it will eventually become second nature and you'll not need think about it.  When out and about focus on one key element with your mechanics as a trigger for your throw.  An example would be that slight movement forward before drawing back and throwing/releasing the dart.  Keep it simple and focus on that one move and try not to cloud the issue with too many thoughts.

Playing more against others especially those who are a bit better than yourself will help with the anxiety part as well.  Takes time yes, but you'll soon find that your anxiety will diminish and your focus will be on the task at hand.

So get out there and play as much as possible and enjoy the journey. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Could maybe try practicing at home with one person watching and move on from there if it goes well, just invite someone who you know well and feel comfortable with.
County Durham's worst darter - Hitting single 1 for 22 years now

(11-23-2016, 06:41 PM)Random Trebles Wrote: Could maybe try practicing at home with one person watching and move on from there if it goes well, just invite someone who you know well and feel comfortable with.

I'm already able to do this successfully from time to time...even in public I can get it right once in a while, it just deteriorates quickly...
(11-23-2016, 06:41 PM)Great White North Wrote: I'd say stick with what you're doing proper at home mechanics wise, it will eventually become second nature and you'll not need think about it.  When out and about focus on one key element with your mechanics as a trigger for your throw.  An example would be that slight movement forward before drawing back and throwing/releasing the dart.  Keep it simple and focus on that one move and try not to cloud the issue with too many thoughts.

Playing more against others especially those who are a bit better than yourself will help with the anxiety part as well.  Takes time yes, but you'll soon find that your anxiety will diminish and your focus will be on the task at hand.

So get out there and play as much as possible and enjoy the journey. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Will try this, all seems so blurry and complicated though once things start going downhill mechanically... :dodgy:
(11-23-2016, 06:46 PM)lennon909 Wrote: Will try this, all seems so blurry and complicated though once things start going downhill mechanically... :dodgy:

Just need to trust your throw and stay with as much as possible.  Darts is about self belief/confidence which starts with trusting your mechanics.
(11-23-2016, 06:49 PM)Great White North Wrote:
(11-23-2016, 06:46 PM)lennon909 Wrote: Will try this, all seems so blurry and complicated though once things start going downhill mechanically... :dodgy:

Just need to trust your throw and stay with as much as possible.  Darts is about self belief/confidence which starts with trusting your mechanics.

Agreed, which is why I believe in practicing as much as I do.  The trigger to my problems when throwing in public is not being able to raise the dart completely to my eye to aim properly.  I've focused on this one aspect of correction but amazingly once it drops out I CAN'T seem to fix it...it's like there's a gravitational/magnetic pull working against me.
(11-23-2016, 06:57 PM)lennon909 Wrote: Agreed, which is why I believe in practicing as much as I do.  The trigger to my problems when throwing in public is not being able to raise the dart completely to my eye to aim properly.  I've focused on this one aspect of correction but amazingly once it drops out I CAN'T seem to fix it...it's like there's a gravitational/magnetic pull working against me.

That's from performance anxiety, we've all come across that at one time or another.  Try not to overthink it too much, this is why we put in time on the board at home.  Over time it will just be natural and you'll need not think of it other than your target, persevere/trust it and you'll be fine.
(11-23-2016, 07:01 PM)Great White North Wrote:
(11-23-2016, 06:57 PM)lennon909 Wrote: Agreed, which is why I believe in practicing as much as I do.  The trigger to my problems when throwing in public is not being able to raise the dart completely to my eye to aim properly.  I've focused on this one aspect of correction but amazingly once it drops out I CAN'T seem to fix it...it's like there's a gravitational/magnetic pull working against me.

That's from performance anxiety, we've all come across that at one time or another.  Try not to overthink it too much, this is why we put in time on the board at home.  Over time it will just be natural and you'll need not think of it other than your target, persevere/trust it and you'll be fine.

Thanks, will keep trying...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Practice Games for T20 liam_winnard 5 542 06-03-2017, 12:29 PM
Last Post: elevendarter
  Big games Good fun games poor LesWallace180 10 1,507 01-12-2016, 08:34 AM
Last Post: LesWallace180