Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

head goes back when throwing
Hi all!

I've been watching some slow motion throw videos on youtube lately and I compaired them with my throw.

The very bad difference between my throw and the pro's is the way I move my head backwards while throwing. Its like I 'push' my dart towards the dartboard. Phil Taylor more likely arch them towards the board?

Does someone here had the same problem? And even more important, how do I solve it? Have been working on it for a couple of days now. Different throwing styles and stance. Nothing really helped.

Someone please give me the key to solve my problem! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Darts: Michael v. Gerwen 90% Tungsten 23 gr. XQDarts (Silver)
Total 180's in 2016: 4
Best 501 in 2016: 20 darts
Highest finish in 2016: 115
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you lean too much forward your head shifts back upon release, has been my experience as well as others. Get more upright and it should steady your melon.
Thanks for the reply! I don't really think I lean to much forward but it is defently worth checking!!

Any more tips are welcome.
A good drill when practicing is take your none throwing hands index finger and point/place it from underneath on your chin. Seems silly, but it works.
I dont mind if it is silly because no1 is watching. I tried it 5 times and recorded it. Somehow it won't change. Maybe its my whole body?

The positive point about the finger underneath the chin is the scoring! 2x 100 1x 140 2x60!

I will use your tips for a couple of trainingsdays because I think it has to change. Very thanks for your help so far!!!

If someone else had this problem and has different tips/drills keep them coming please!
This is one of my major problems with my throw (i have many). I came up with this after a period of pressure. After i was playing some months really good darts i pressured my self to achieve some goals in my total league.
And the problem started. My hole body (especially my arm) became stiff. Every dart was under so much pressure. An old problem with my elbow (after a motorcycle fall) appeared again. The more the pressure the worst the darts and the stiffness . The worst the darts, the more the pressure. And the pain in the elbow started to modify my throw.

My elbow went lower so when i threw the dart my head and hole upper body was going backwards. I realised it only when a precious teammate took a video of me.

The only solution i found is try to lift my elbow up. It works but only when im not under pressure .

So its lift the elbow for me
For me it was just creating a stable stance. By adjusting my body weight so everything is sat perfectly flat on my front foot made sure i couldnt over lean and created a nice sturdy base.
Greath tips again! Thanks for the reply's. I'll work on it for a couple of days and post the progress here. Thanks alot, all of you!
Wayne mardle has a video on YouTube I believe titled 'get that elbow up' where he tries to demonstrate the effect of a low elbow.

I'm guessing this is your problem as well
There Are No Heroes, Only Warriors
(11-22-2016, 10:32 PM)Seedykiwi Wrote: Wayne mardle has a video on YouTube I believe titled 'get that elbow up' where he tries to demonstrate the effect of a low elbow.  

I'm guessing this is your problem as well

Hi Seedykiwi,

I saw the vid a few weeks ago because the darts whernt falling in the same angle at the dartboard. I've been working on that part for weeks now because this was a problem aswell. Tought i've solved that part of the 'fundation' because the darts are almost always at the same angle now.

But yet again a greath tip and all tips I've to take serious so this one aswell. Will look at this one aswell for a couple of trainingsdays. Thanks for your help!
Try standing in your normal position with your arm fully extended and just use your wrist snap to propel the dart to the board. Never mind the outcome of the shot. Your main focus should be on your wrist snap and hand follow through and keeping your head and body completely still. Do this multiple times and then try your normal throw with this feeling in mind. Hope it helps.
Joe

22gm Target Carrera C4's
Started Darting October 2014

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Throw from beside your head vs inline with eyes? atison 5 895 01-20-2018, 04:06 AM
Last Post: Hellion