Harrows Darts.

Direct Opposite Needed - Sensitization!
I have a particular issue - I tend to get desensitized either by the freezing air conditioning, or the loud, blasting music, or both! Music's relatively nice though.

And what that translates into is, I need to increase the weight of my darts by quite a bit before I get some semblance of consistency. If for example, say you're throwing 24g, imagine the weight having to be upped to about 28g. Imagine that 24 was perfectly fine at home practice, with normal-level music radio, faint daily sounds etc. That's not the weight I throw BTW. The 24 / 28 is so you have an idea in terms of what you can relate to steel-wise.

I can't even hear the thunk of the dart, and that negative feedback also affects me because it's like ... "has the dart hit yet?", or "something's missing ... where's the power and the stroke?" "I though I was following through?" etc etc etc. These are not conscious thoughts, but it's there ... pretty much sub-con. So I soldier on with the heavier weight, initially getting some consistency, which slowly deteriorates while getting tired ...

This always almost happens at the dart places I go to, but I always attributed it to nervousness, the coldness and so on without realizing the music was affecting me just as badly as the freezing air con especially when I play steel.

The desensitization is one part of the problem.

The other is - shoulder pain, since I have tendinitis.

Has anyone else ever experienced this, and what did you do?
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I usually just ask the wife to turn a frign music down. HaHa
I haven't thought about grabbing a heavier dart when I get distracted and usually just try and work my way around it.
I have been throwing 22g and sometimes it's like I can't even get the dart to go high enough on the board till I warm up for a good 15 minutes.
The cold really bothers me as well. I have to bulk up with extra layers in winter.
Aye, well, it wont be nice for me to ask the pub/cafe to turn the music down. It's a business they're running, and I don't think any of the other patrons mind actually.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Hate to say it, but its think a lot of this is probably just in your head, unless of course the air con is blowing across the path of your dart.  I think if you keep telling yourself the loud music is a problem then it will continue being a problem, and I think it probably starts before you leave the house. By packing those heavier darts up to take to the bar you are reinforcing the idea that the music/air con is going to be an issue for you. 

As for the tendonitis, I've recently started infrared light therapy on my left shoulder (not my throwing arm) for the same thing.  Only had 1 treatment so far but it's feeling 10 times better already!
There Are No Heroes, Only Warriors
Hmm ... could be Seedy ... the thing is, the loud music never bothered me at all. I used to sit next to the speakers during performances at pubs, writing. It's really a nice selection they play generally at the darts places, and not at a volume that I can't stand, so it's not that I'm not liking the music at all. It's just loud enough that I can't hear my darts hit the board, and it was much later on (after more than 6 months or a year i guess) that I think I narrowed down what affected my play. But what you said also has import, and I am going to think about this more, and see how to work around it.

As for the aircon, it's not that it's blowing across my darts. It's at some boards, the darts, and hands become freezing cold. But now I go a bit earlier, and quickly take the board that has a warmer area, so that's not a problem if i can do that. BTW, a lot of visiting Caucasians, used to sub-zero temperatures also can't stand the levels of aircon at most hotels and some restaurants, if that is any indication.

Infrared light? I think I've seen it before being used, but ... I just read about it. It sounds exciting! Will read more and also check with my doctors. Thanks Seedy!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Maybe it's just my mentality, coupled with my wife's infinitely practical views. 

If I play poorly, that's exactly what it is,  I was the problem in that I didn't play well.  External factors be damned. I own my performance regardless of its quality.  

If I play a great game and destroy my opponent I never think,  'oh that music was just right'. No I'm thinking 'thats right people look out!'. 

So if I play poorly why should that be about anything but me as well. My performance is something I control for better or worse, there is no sense blaming something you can't control for a poor performance because you can't change it, and it might always be there. 

The cold is interesting in that I'm always being told after shaking people's hands that my hands are freezing lol.
There Are No Heroes, Only Warriors
Well I had a problem with very loud music and not being able to concentrate and just started practicing with headphones set loud for a few rounds at home to see if I could concentrate.  It helped but not as much as I would have liked it to.  Because it also changed my concentration level before I got to the league games because sometimes I expected loud music and no music was playing unless I put money in the jukebox.  Then I was distracted by no music.

I also had a thing with two sets of darts one heavier that were ok but never were perfect and the lighter ones which were my better choice close to perfect but still looking for that set.  I would practice before league with the heavier darts and then use the lighter ones for league play and did much better because I guess I was throwing them harder(better) due to the before league games practice session with the heavier darts.  As team mates said it is all in your head (Seedykiwi's  point) just deal with it but that was easier said than done--was that the name of a song—am I distracted now?

I think you are just having a confidence problem that can become much harder to deal with then shooting darts correctly.  Be careful not to over think what is actually affecting you during the league games.  Mine is nerves and learning how to control them, takes a long time and just playing against others not just individual practice at home.

I just last week I played 401 against someone who was ranked at 7th in the league and I am 26th.  My thoughts could have been how am I going to possibly win but instead I went in with a positive attitude and said play your game until the double shows up then think about how and if change is necessary.

Well, I won on a double 9 which is something I don’t normally practice that much.  I took the shot for a  possible win and did not hear the music, feel any air conditioning or even think any other thought but throw a good shot.  I went to the line feeling I could do it not feeling the distractions around me.  As said earlier easier said than done but believing you belong there helps that feeling over take anything negative. Hopefully also those distractions out of your control.

I have learned never think “don’t do this” and this caused my poor shot when in a sport activity.  This came from pro bowlers when I went to a clinic given by pros.  They instead made me think about positive things. What I could do and to try and never become distracted by my surrounding and things out of my control.  Concentrate on what your point of focus is and that only everything else takes away from your success.  

If none of this helps wear heavier clothing so the air does not bother you and throw light weight darts because of the heavier clothing. Don't worry the air will blow the dart into the board.
If that does not make sense or you think I am a wiseguy(or worse) then you already must also understand something in your thoughts has to change.  You most likely cannot change any outside distractions you must learn how to deal with them or ignore them. Good Luck in getting over this problem.
(11-22-2016, 07:54 AM)trekbowl300 Wrote: Well I had a problem with very loud music and not being able to concentrate and just started practicing with headphones set loud for a few rounds at home to see if I could concentrate.  It helped but not as much as I would have liked it to.  Because it also changed my concentration level before I got to the league games because sometimes I expected loud music and no music was playing unless I put money in the jukebox.  Then I was distracted by no music.

I also had a thing with two sets of darts one heavier that were ok but never were perfect and the lighter ones which were my better choice close to perfect but still looking for that set.  I would practice before league with the heavier darts and then use the lighter ones for league play and did much better because I guess I was throwing them harder(better) due to the before league games practice session with the heavier darts.  As team mates said it is all in your head (Seedykiwi's  point) just deal with it but that was easier said than done--was that the name of a song—am I distracted now?

I think you are just having a confidence problem that can become much harder to deal with then shooting darts correctly.  Be careful not to over think what is actually affecting you during the league games.  Mine is nerves and learning how to control them, takes a long time and just playing against others not just individual practice at home.

I just last week I played 401 against someone who was ranked at 7th in the league and I am 26th.  My thoughts could have been how am I going to possibly win but instead I went in with a positive attitude and said play your game until the double shows up then think about how and if change is necessary.

Well, I won on a double 9 which is something I don’t normally practice that much.  I took the shot for a  possible win and did not hear the music, feel any air conditioning or even think any other thought but throw a good shot.  I went to the line feeling I could do it not feeling the distractions around me.  As said earlier easier said than done but believing you belong there helps that feeling over take anything negative. Hopefully also those distractions out of your control.

I have learned never think “don’t do this” and this caused my poor shot when in a sport activity.  This came from pro bowlers when I went to a clinic given by pros.  They instead made me think about positive things. What I could do and to try and never become distracted by my surrounding and things out of my control.  Concentrate on what your point of focus is and that only everything else takes away from your success.  

If none of this helps wear heavier clothing so the air does not bother you and throw light weight darts because of the heavier clothing.  Don't worry the air will blow the dart into the board.
If that does not make sense or you think I am a wiseguy(or worse) then you already must also understand something in your thoughts has to change.  You most likely cannot change any outside distractions you must learn how to deal with them or ignore them.  Good Luck in getting over this problem.

(11-21-2016, 09:52 PM)Seedykiwi Wrote: Maybe it's just my mentality, coupled with my wife's infinitely practical views. 

If I play poorly, that's exactly what it is,  I was the problem in that I didn't play well.  External factors be damned. I own my performance regardless of its quality.  

If I play a great game and destroy my opponent I never think,  'oh that music was just right'. No I'm thinking 'thats right people look out!'. 

So if I play poorly why should that be about anything but me as well. My performance is something I control for better or worse, there is no sense blaming something you can't control for a poor performance because you can't change it, and it might always be there. 

The cold is interesting in that I'm always being told after shaking people's hands that my hands are freezing lol.

TOTALLY. ABSOLUTELY! TRUE!!!

I'll learn how to deal with it.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks for the replies everyone!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help needed rydarts 4 317 05-15-2020, 12:13 PM
Last Post: rydarts
  help needed robi10 5 427 12-08-2019, 09:09 PM
Last Post: JB_Fraser
  Opposite dominant eye Seigzeon 1 596 05-16-2018, 03:44 PM
Last Post: brenthahn
  SWITCHING LEFT with Dominant Eye Opposite Throwing Arm / Cross-Dominant Scorpion 16 2,045 04-16-2018, 08:19 AM
Last Post: 1double1
  Help Needed tezpace 1 608 12-23-2015, 01:46 AM
Last Post: *Saber*
  Help needed markusousa 5 826 12-02-2015, 06:01 PM
Last Post: markusousa