Harrows Darts.

Harrows Sonic 23 gram
Hello folks.

Yesterday I got my new 23 gram Sonics so I thought I'd take a few pics and let you all know what I think of them. So lets jump straight in.

They are definitely great looking darts and I couldn't wait to relieve them of their fairly standard packaging. Note these are not the straight barrels.

The shafts and flights were of little interest to me, as the shafts are too long and the flights are too big for me personally, but they came stock with clear Supergrip Shafts, and Standard shape Sonic 6500 flights.

Upon getting these guys in hand the grip on these guys was immediately apparent, unfortunately my photos just don't do it justice (pretty sure getagrip will be reviewing these sometime soon with better photos, and cinematic exquisiteness).

Harrows says this, "A complex combination of precise milling, tough blue titanium nitride coating and unique re-machining results in a stunning barrel with innovative, modular protrusions for powerful grip....."  and let me tell you, they ain't lying!

The front section feels very very similar to Targets pixel grip (I have a brand new set of distinction pixel grips used for comparison). But while it feels similar I would say the Sonic is a little grippier. I really like the grip on the front, it feels vey secure in hand without being to much.

The smooth middle section has the Harrows logo and SONIC etched into it, and is where we find the max diameter of the barrel.

Then we come to the rear section. The rear section is a little bit like that crazy ex girlfriend who just doesn't get that it's over.
The modular protrusion is coupled with reverse grip cuts which decrease in severity the closer you get to the shaft. The effect is that (using the pic directly above) the grip from about where point is lying across the barrel BACK to the shaft is rather nice, just feels like a wider ring grip.
The grip to the FRONT from where the point is lying across the barrel to the smooth middle section is very aggressive in my opinion. It was this part of the grip that was just a little too much for me, I could feel the grip biting into my finger throughout my throw, right up until the release point.  I have to pay more attention to my release than I really want to or my darts will be going into the board sideways. On the flipside, you definitely know when you're doing it wrong!

How I grip the Sonics.

My finger is only contacting 3 grip rings on the rear section, and for me there is so much grip right there that I probably won't throw these darts as much I want to, or as much as they deserve to be thrown.

The as provided setup puts the balance point right on the most aggressive part of the grip. I didn't take pics but this point moved about 1 ring toward the front with a short Pro grip shaft and slim 100 micron flight.

The weight variance of the 3 barrels is pretty damn good with only a 0.04 gram difference between the lightest and heaviest.

50 mm long

5.1 mm nose

7.1 mm max diameter, just forward of the balance point.

I think we can call that a 6 mm back end.

I was really hoping these would become my go to darts (if the front section grip was carried on in the rear section as well they would be), but I think the grip on the rear section is a little bit to aggressive for me. In saying that I did get used to it after about 20 minutes, but I had to be very conscious of my release in order to get them to work for me. I'll definitely keep them around and grab them out when I think I need to focus on my release more, and throw them until they are flying straight and true.

They do work!

I think if you like a dart with an aggressive grip then you probably want to give these a go. If you don't like a lot of grip then maybe they aren't going to be for you, but you should try them anyway :p it's the nutz thing to do.

2016 Harrows Sonic, retailing at around 45 Pounds inc VAT (around 37 Pounds ex VAT)

Side note: I was going to put tornado points in these, but after removing the point, the hole is a little big for the tongue of a tornado, much Loctite will be required.
There Are No Heroes, Only Warriors
Thank you for the review.

As a rear gripper I'm now not sure whether I want to be going anywhere near any of my ex girlfriends, they remain on my wish list however.

Cheers
Tez
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Darts currently used ....... Target Taylor 9five Gen3 26g with Harrows short Supergrip stems and punched Target Vision Flights.

Darts owned.......... Target Taylor 9five Gen2 quattro 26g, Harrows Fire 26g, Red Dragon Falcon GT 26g, XQmax MvG gold 25g, Winmau Steve Beaton 24g, Winmau Andy Fordham (Atomised grip) 23g, Winmau Andy Fordham (Onyx) 23g, Unicorn John Part (Silver Star) 23g, Winmau Wild Roses 22g.

Board used ......... Winmau Blade 5 DC
Nice review mate and a +1 for doing so! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The darts look great and you got them working well all the same, pity about the Tornado points not fitting though. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Oh yes it definitely "the Nutz thing to do" lol
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Nice review, SK! They look rather unique too. Enjoy.
Nice review of these. They are a very unique dart so good to hear and see what they are like, cheers
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Nice review, i'm considering getting a set of the soft tips ordered now. +1 on the excellent review
Great review!!! Nucky sends a rep point  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I'm a reformed dartaholic so I won't be buying them. Pretty snazzy looking though - I hope they fly well for you.
Nice review of an awesome looking dart! +1

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Harrows Sonic 22g darts review Getagrip 19 8,981 11-14-2018, 04:13 PM
Last Post: codo180
  Harrows Sonic 23g darts review Getagrip 14 10,555 10-02-2018, 02:27 AM
Last Post: codo180
  Elkadart Ultra Sonic 16g Soft Tip darts review Getagrip 13 7,619 08-30-2014, 10:20 PM
Last Post: Getagrip