Darts Buddy

How to PROLONG the life of your TARGET Carbon TI Stems
Other than always making sure you throw in an area that has a cushioned floor, one possibility is to introduce a dampening media in the threads.

This may, or may not work, but for the cheap (relative to say full Target TI stems 3+ GBP vs 15+ GBP), there's no harm if you have been suffering from broken shafts on bounce-outs on hard surfaces.

It's really simple.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

1) Sand down the internal TI threads where the carbon stem attaches slightly. This is to make space for the dampening media. I suspect I also want to remove the (usually) sharp apex of the threads that may contribute to the snapping. Whether it does, or not, I can't say for sure, but you still need space for the cushioning media.

2) Use a skinny split mandrel or split pin sanding tool* or simply roll a 120 - 150 grit glasspaper around a thin but strong toothpick, then take the toothpick out and roll it as tight as possible. If the toothpick and the glasspaper fits into the threads, just use that.

I believe for split mandrels less than 4mm, the thickness of the media has to be thinner. Check the specs and just use a finer grit glasspaper. 

3) Blow the dust out.

4) Apply a drop of rubber contact adhesive to the TI threads and carbon threads. Be generous. You want things to get a little messy. If possible, use the stronger type for bicycle or car tiers etc.

5) Attach the carbon portion to the TI right away, and tighten as you usually do.

Excess cement will get squeezed out. When it dries, you can just rub it off with your fingers.

Let it dry overnight if possible, but you could probably use it after 30 minutes or so.

If the carbon portion does snap, just undo it and use a sharp point to scrape out as much of the old cement as possible, or just use acetone, or something called 'Goof Off Remover' which some say works much better than acetone. You might want to try this on painted darts for paint removal as well, if the caution says it's safe for metals, which it should be but I'm not sure.

If this works, the carbon portion may still snap at the threads if the impact is great, or just at that correct angle, but using this method might prolong the life of your beloved blingster stems. I really hope it does me8s!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  

Hope this helps.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Me not an industrial designer, nor a mech engineer, so if any of you guys see potential in this, and think of ways to improve it, please do share.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

* Split mandrels are really cheap at less than 1 or 2 GBP for one or two pieces, or you might be able to get a whole set for less than 5 GBP. Check if the size is what you need. Ebay and the usual online places, or your hardware store.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Great advice men,but I always thought that best way to prolong something's life is not to use it
180-1(33)
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(11-15-2016, 10:36 PM)Troll Wrote: Great advice men,but I always thought  that best way to prolong something's life is not to use it

Yeah!!!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Check this out ,,, peeps on my league have been using rubber o rings on their Cosmo fit gear stems/shafts ,,,,, they say it cushions the shock of hit the floor and extends the life of the stems,,,,,maybe the super thin o rings made for the Harrows Clic stems to make spinners not spin would work the same way,,,,???

(11-16-2016, 03:30 AM)0ldjoblo Wrote: Check this out ,,, peeps on my league have been using rubber o rings on their Cosmo fit gear stems/shafts ,,,,, they say it cushions the shock of hit the floor and extends the life of the stems,,,,,maybe the super thin o rings made for the Harrows Clic stems to make spinners not spin would work the same way,,,,???

Sounds like an idea worth exploring OJB!  Would it be possible to get the dimensions of them in terms of outside diameter and thickness for the Clic system? I can check with my industrial supplier. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Just occured to me ... the carbon portion stem has very small threads. Not sure if they are M3 or not, but they are small. Some of the watch o-rings that are used around winding crown stems are really fine, and small as well ...

LOL Moomin very Pilialospsofoical, phisyofacal, philospulcal, philosopfil, ah fek it................ very succinct as usual Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Nice idea Chris, it may work but I am too lazy to try it Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(11-16-2016, 09:43 AM)Getagrip Wrote: LOL Moomin very Pilialospsofoical, phisyofacal, philospulcal, philosopfil, ah fek it................ very succinct as usual Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Nice idea Chris, it may work but I am too lazy to try it Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Actually would take me less than 10 mins to do the lot.  Takes a lot more time to describe and type. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I would take me 10 mins just to clear some space to do it lol
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Hmmm ,,, Still using the TI carbon stems ,, anyone,,,,?
Used them for a week. Not worth dealing with breakage. Why would anyone bother going through all above steps to use a shaft with terrible design flaw.
Huge waste of money.  Shocked they released them, must have tested them and seen how fragile they were.
Stick with aluminum and O rings Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Target Carbon Ti Pro Eddie_Arrow 3 270 03-31-2020, 01:31 AM
Last Post: JAMSGOLF
  Mission Carbon Stems and L Style Caps Ancient Darter 5 567 12-12-2019, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Ancient Darter
  Target Pro Grip - Carbon JannerinCardiff 5 570 05-02-2019, 01:37 PM
Last Post: GONKO
  Target Pinch Grip Stems Fento 2 2,000 04-26-2019, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Wolfewiz
  Target Gen 4 Stems & Tops Mighty apu 10 753 04-26-2019, 05:06 PM
Last Post: Wolfewiz
  Target pixel stems. Devin37 3 415 04-13-2019, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Mac-attack99
  Target's new Pro Grip stems santi 35 11,731 04-03-2018, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Blanton
  Target Titanium Gen 1 stems with Gen 2 tops? TheEngineer 11 1,438 03-08-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: blacko
  Slim vs Regular Carbon fiber stems (Fit or LStyle) Regulatori 19 12,743 03-06-2018, 06:44 PM
Last Post: John Holden