Harrows Darts.

Big number practice
Ive just started incorporating big number practice back into my practice routine after neglecting it over the past few months thinking that I had that area covered but came severely unstuck a few times when easy out shots were butchered with me missing big numbers to allow 1 or 2 shots at a double. This practice game is probably as old as the hills but I think the benefits are bigger than I thought. Shooting around the board 3 shots at each number and counting singles doubles and triples fron 1 up to 20. I keep a log of each game maybe 7 games a week and how much if any I improve. Being only an averag player the fact that just re aligning my angle and shots to a new number has helped my follow through and acuracy imencly, along with the confidence to go at a triple for a higher score or better check out option instead of just the big safe number. I was told 65 was an average comp player score my best is 84 but I think score would be secondary to the benefit of the practice.
Darts used 25g Adrian Gray Tungsten Shot Flights XLt Stems
Best Av (Singles) : 84
Best 501 : 15 darts
Highest Checkout 2016 : 160 (T20 T20 D20)
180s Practice  2019 : 100+
180s Comp 2019 : 10 
150s Practice : 3
I think even the pros get big number trouble at times, I think its important to practice all aspects really.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
If you don't do Flight School you should seriously consider it. The A1 drill, as well as grooving your stroke, gives you a high degree of confidence hitting the big numbers. Basically it can teach you a stroke that's so reliable you can throw at the big numbers without worry.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
As long as its easier than learning how to play the drums lol  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I forgot about this practice game. I used to do it a lot. Wonder what my high score was? Now I have to go try it again.
I've been changing up A1 abit lately. I basically do big numbers 1-13 for 3 or 4 rounds and 4 or 5 rounds of 20-1. Never keeping score just focusing on a good groove and grouping.
(11-14-2016, 10:59 AM)Tom12481 Wrote: I've been changing up A1 abit lately. I basically do big numbers 1-13 for 3 or 4 rounds and 4 or 5 rounds of 20-1.  Never keeping score just focusing on a good groove and grouping.

I noticed that too that I was grouping nicely around the trebles. I think the only reason I keep score is my maths is crap and it adds that little bit more pressure to the game.
Have you signed up to flight school Bar?
It's game changing.
No not yet Tom but its something Id better look into as Im always looking for ways to improve my game. You've just convinced me. Cheers
I've always been a big proponent of big numbers practice when it comes to outs and to a lesser degree, in Cricket. When I have an odd number for an out that is a 2 darter, I call the first dart my "transition" dart to get the number to even and it ticks me off no end when I miss them----------and I do from time to time. Say I have 51 left and want that big 19 to leave 32 and I lay one in the 7 or 3, OK now I'm even, but I now need another big number to get to that double, leaving only 1 dart at the out shot. GRRRRRRR

In Cricket I definitely like to hit the big number if I already have 2 marks and my opponent has it closed so I can move on to another wedge. Again, it frosts my nether regions if my opponent has closed 19's and I have 2 and it's my throw needing only 1 to close and miss it wide. That takes away a dart at another number to advance the game.

But hey, if I could hit any number at any time, I wouldn't be typing about bemoaning missing easy darts, but rather playing on stage somewhere and making a living at this great game. Yeah, that's gonna happen.
Here's an idea for a big numbers practice game.  I haven't worked out the kinks so I'm throwing it out to you guys for help.

The idea is this....

You put the numbers from 1 to 20 in a list.  These are the big numbers you'll be throwing at, but the game aims to simulate splitting and setting up outs in 501.  So what you then need to do is put the number you are trying to split or set up on the left of your 1 to 20 column (Start in the image below), and the double you are trying to leave/hit on the right (Dbl in the image below).  Like this...

Then the game is to hit single one to leave double one.  Next it's single 2 to leave double four.  Not all of these set-ups will work for you so do your own list if required.

My initial idea was to score is based on lives but it might just be to complicated and/or pointless. 

Something like... 
  1. you get a certain number of lives, the more accurate you are the fewer lives you get
  2. If you hit miss the big number you lose a life
  3. If you hit the big number yo do not lose a life
  4. If you take out the finish you get plus one life
Example 1: You have 3 lives, big number is 2
First dart is S2 (hit! no loss of life)
Second dart misses D4
Third dart D4 (hit! plus one life)
You're up to 4 lives

Example 2: You have 3 lives, big number is 2
First dart is T2 (miss! lose a life)
Second dart misses D2
Third dart D2 (hit! plus one life)
You're still on 3 lives

Example 3: You have 3 lives, big number is 2
Second dart misses D2
Third dart misses D2
You're now on 2 lives

The idea of the scored version is to get to 20.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

(11-16-2016, 01:30 AM)Banz Wrote: Here's an idea for a big numbers practice game.  I haven't worked out the kinks so I'm throwing it out to you guys for help.

The idea is this....

You put the numbers from 1 to 20 in a list.  These are the big numbers you'll be throwing at, but the game aims to simulate splitting and setting up outs in 501.  So what you then need to do is put the number you are trying to split or set up on the left of your 1 to 20 column (Start in the image below), and the double you are trying to leave/hit on the right (Dbl in the image below).  Like this...

Then the game is to hit single one to leave double one.  Next it's single 2 to leave double four.  Not all of these set-ups will work for you so do your own list if required.

My initial idea was to score is based on lives but it might just be to complicated and/or pointless. 

Something like... 
  1. you get a certain number of lives, the more accurate you are the fewer lives you get
Second dart misses D4
You're up to 4 lives

Second dart misses D2
You're still on 3  lives

Second dart misses D2
Third dart misses D2
You're now on 2 lives

Sounds fun, maybe a bit complicated for me though.
I play a game with my son.
One player throws three darts.   The total is the out number.
Second player tries it, if you bust the first player gets a point.  If the second player gets out they get a point and throw to set the new goal.  It goes fast and is fun even with players of different strengths.  He is young and new so just has to get to zero, if he doubles out he gets 2 points.  I have to double out.  
It's a fun little game.  Play first to 5 or 10 or whatever wins, depending on how much time there is.
(11-16-2016, 01:30 AM)Banz Wrote: Here's an idea for a big numbers practice game.  I haven't worked out the kinks so I'm throwing it out to you guys for help.

The idea is this....

Something like... 
Second dart misses D4
You're up to 4 lives

Second dart misses D2
You're still on 3  lives

Second dart misses D2
Third dart misses D2
You're now on 2 lives

The tabble at the top is just the ducks nutz to fit in my erratic practice sessions (mainly due to getting home late from work ). It seems quite quick to do and I would use it after my 15 min warm up instead of randomly shooting at double around the board to get my eye in, then onto my 301 games to finish off. Good idea Branz.
Nice post Banz, I like it! +1 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thanks guys

I work on these practice game ideas when I'm cycling home from work.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  magical number randomizers Davey Jones 1 198 03-29-2021, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Zero
  Number Of Darts To Play 301 AD18 19 2,495 04-16-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Baloos
  Practice every number and section on the board *Saber* 17 5,287 03-13-2017, 02:48 AM
Last Post: anzuanzuanzu