Unicorn

Where should I go from here?
I'm 15, been playing darts at home for about a year, and have hit 51 180s since 1st January. But since I don't play competitively I don't really know if that's a good enough level to take my game further. I've been told by a few people to get into a team and start playing competitively, but I'm nervous about overestimating my ability and/or underestimating the level required to get into a team. I also get a lot of stray darts, which is putting me off the idea as well. I play about an hour per day at home, more on weekends, but am thinkning that is one of the main reasons for my inconsistency - over practicing. As soon as I get comfortable that my darts are becoming more consistent, they go astray again. I do want to take my darts further than my own home but I'm just nervous that I will be awful, then I will lose my affection for the game. Should I try to get in a team or try to improve myself first? Thanks in advance for any responses. 
Cheers,
Liam.
21g Harrows Fire
Hello Liam and welcome aboard the Nutz forum. :hithere:

Take the leap and find a team or any competitive youth darts in your area.  You mention nerves or confidence in form may be holding you back, you'll never know if that's the case until you get yourself out there.

Stray darts are part of the game especially starting out.  I wouldn't worry about such things, just keep going on your board at home and getting out playing others and you'll soon find your stray darts will be minimized in short order.

All the best Liam. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(11-12-2016, 06:02 PM)Great White North Wrote: Hello Liam and welcome aboard the Nutz forum. :hithere:

Take the leap and find a team or any competitive youth darts in your area.  You mention nerves or confidence in form may be holding you back, you'll never know if that's the case until you get yourself out there.

Stray darts are part of the game especially starting out.  I wouldn't worry about such things, just keep going on your board at home and getting out playing others and you'll soon find your stray darts will be minimized in short order.

All the best Liam. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks for your reply. Also in my post I mentioned about the amount of time I play. Do you think that has anything to do with it an I shouldn't play as much, or is there no such thing as too much practice? Cheers
21g Harrows Fire
(11-12-2016, 06:09 PM)liam_winnard Wrote: Thanks for your reply. Also in my post I mentioned about the amount of time I play. Do you think that has anything to do with it an I shouldn't play as much, or is there no such thing as too much practice? Cheers

Time of play in your practice sessions is all about ones comfort level for me and also focus.  I don't anymore, but my sessions use to be between 3-4 hours.  Key element is if you're going to throw for an hour or two is to take a break every 15-20 minutes.  If you set up a practice routine for an hour and stay dedicated/focused on your drills, I'd say that's good enough for now.  Time permitting maybe a bit longer longer over the weekends.  Great one for myself was to mix my sessions up on weekends and throw a bit in the morning/afternoon then evening.

No such thing as too much practice if as I mentioned above you stay focused and don't start throwing at the board for the sake of throwing.

Having a structured regimen for your sessions will really help as well.  Leave room in your routine to mix it up and switching a few drills in and out every once in awhile in order not to get overly complacent.
(11-12-2016, 06:25 PM)Great White North Wrote:
(11-12-2016, 06:09 PM)liam_winnard Wrote: Thanks for your reply. Also in my post I mentioned about the amount of time I play. Do you think that has anything to do with it an I shouldn't play as much, or is there no such thing as too much practice? Cheers

Time of play in your practice sessions is all about ones comfort level for me and also focus.  I don't anymore, but my sessions use to be between 3-4 hours.  Key element is if you're going to throw for an hour or two is to take a break every 15-20 minutes.  If you set up a practice routine for an hour and stay dedicated/focused on your drills, I'd say that's good enough for now.  Time permitting maybe a bit longer longer over the weekends.  Great one for myself was to mix my sessions up on weekends and throw a bit in the morning/afternoon then evening.

No such thing as too much practice if as I mentioned above you stay focused and don't start throwing at the board for the sake of throwing.

Having a structured regimen for your sessions will really help as well.  Leave room in your routine to mix it up and switching a few drills in and out every once in awhile in order not to get overly complacent.

Thanks for the advice mate, much appreciated. I'm gonna start trying to take it a lot more seriously now and properly structure my sessions, and make myself a schedule to follow each week, rather than just lobbing darts at t20 with a few checkout games thrown in every now an then.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
21g Harrows Fire
(11-12-2016, 06:35 PM)liam_winnard Wrote: Thanks for the advice mate, much appreciated. I'm gonna start trying to take it a lot more seriously now and properly structure my sessions, and make myself a schedule to follow each week, rather than just lobbing darts at t20 with a few checkout games thrown in every now an then.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Good stuff Liam, keep us in the loop with your progress. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Welcome Liam and I Think you are going to become a fine darter.
[font=Courier New][font=Arial Black]Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro[/font][/font]

Welcome....you sound like you're right where you need to be - and looking forward to seeing where you go with it. A local darts venue might be just the ticket for you. If you pop in informally, ask to shoot a few games with some of the folks in your local venue, they might turn out to be the start of a journey to finding just the right league for you, or a great learning experience. Might be worth a shot. Welcome to the Nutz!
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Hello Liam and welcome aboard, good to see you here Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thanks for the responses, all. I know where to come if I have any more queries :)
21g Harrows Fire
Welcome Liam stick with some routines just pounding 20's is a waste. Have you tried web cam darts? That can help
(11-13-2016, 01:23 PM)Weirhere Wrote: Welcome Liam stick with some routines just pounding 20's is a waste. Have you tried web cam darts? That can help

Ye I looked into that last night only issue is the positioning of the webcam I'd have to manipulate my room a bit,but I might give it a go.
21g Harrows Fire
(11-13-2016, 02:40 PM)liam_winnard Wrote:
(11-13-2016, 01:23 PM)Weirhere Wrote: Welcome Liam stick with some routines just pounding 20's is a waste. Have you tried web cam darts? That can help

Ye I looked into that last night only issue is the positioning of the webcam I'd have to manipulate my room a bit,but I might give it a go.

I concur, you'll get a lot out of playing webcam arrows Liam.
If you do let them know your wda name would love too throw with ya
(11-13-2016, 03:31 PM)Weirhere Wrote: If you do let them know your wda name would love too throw with ya

will do mate when i get round to it
21g Harrows Fire