Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Heavier Darts or Lighter Darts??
Hi,

I have been chopping and changing my darts over time from light darts to heavier darts. I have been struggling with my throw and tend to twist my hand as I'm pulling my arm back to throw which is so frustrating. I have started to not pull my arm back at all and start the throw with my arm already back so I am releasing straight away (as this has helped me twisting my hand at throw).

The throw is getting steadier, but now I'm unsure if a lighter dart would be better for me (as not pulling arm back), or a heavier dart?

Any advice/feedback would be appreciated.
You could try different darts, from friends/family maybe in different weight,and see what's best for you. Then buy multiple sets in different weights.

Good Luck
My philosophy has always been if you have a faster throw go to a lighter dart.  If your throw is slower then a heavier dart works best for me.  I have had issues with turning hand on release and found a heavier, slower dart had more time to recover or stabilize so to speak.  Plus the slower throw allowed you a wee bit more time to concentrate not to twist your hand and work on your release.  As I fine tuned my throw and became faster I found I could start going to a lighter dart with similar or better results than the heavier dart.  I have gone as light as 21gr, but have gradually started going heavier.   I do go back to my 26gr darts on occasion as I do like throwing them, but my match darts are currently 24gr.  A lot depends on your overall throw and technique so above may be totally opposite of what you need to doGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  Buts that's dartsGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
A good rule of thumb is; as light as possible, as heavy as necessary. Try two extremes once within 10 mins. Using a too light dart while just having missed a double will result in extreme over/under pitching. Too heavy and you have trouble adjusting the dart. Also, listen to the dartboard. If you throw and it sound like a brick just hit the board, the darts are probably too heavy.
Match Darts: Target Phil Taylor gen 3, 22 g
Best 501:
19 darts
180s (2017):
 91/60

180s (2018): 87
180s (2019): 7

Hello and welcome to the Nutz, can you post a video of your throw?
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
"Lighter",,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(11-13-2016, 09:52 AM)Getagrip Wrote: Hello and welcome to the Nutz, can you post a video of your throw?

Won't let me attach a video file from my phone
i have the same exact problem and i still struggle with it from time to time, especially throwing at lower numbers where i cant really see whats going on. everyone is certainly different but for me going to a slightly heavier dart with bigger flights at least helped me control it somewhat. it was one of those things that i knew i was doing wrong but i just couldnt help it.

what i had to do was a lot of practice focusing on keeping wrist straight. it actually set me back for a while because once you fix one thing thats rarely the end of it. normally when you fix one thing you end up having to fix other stuff because of the things you were doing to accomodate for the other thing.

anyway, my advice would be to not worry about so much about what darts would be better but focus instead on correcting the issue. i think a mistake a lot of people make are trying to find darts to fit their throw when they should be focusing on better developing their throw, then tweaking that with different darts.

MC
Hi folks new user & would welcome any advice on the weight of darts to use. I've had so many sets over the years ranging from 26g to 31g & have read all the comments most people range from 18-24g! The problem I have is I had cancer nearly 5 years ago & constantly feel tired in the arms & shoulders so I feel I have to slam the darts in & I think losing a lot of accuracy. Friends have told me I need HEAVY darts so am getting the 28g phase 5 mirage for Xmas....has anyone suffered from tiredness or pains & any solutions? Any users of the phase 5 recommend or disapprove of them? Thanks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alternating between heavier and lighter darts sydneycarton 4 249 01-14-2021, 12:36 AM
Last Post: Pidge
  Heavier darts fishtail now? Jeff Rassier 2 371 07-08-2019, 01:25 AM
Last Post: Jeff Rassier
  Heavier vs. lighter dart Karldawg 8 1,777 06-04-2017, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Karldawg
  Lighter Darts???? kungfuron 13 1,966 09-28-2016, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Jugger
  Should I go heavier? HazBeen 16 2,878 04-30-2016, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Viking
  Go lighter as you get better or not? Balin 23 5,960 07-13-2015, 06:06 PM
Last Post: Jugger
  Heavier or Lighter Darts? Grey Owl 33 12,961 05-12-2015, 03:44 PM