Shot Darts

Pin Point Training Aid
Using old, broken or new dart points: Here's a nice simple way to help you focus for longer sessions hitting the large segments during practice.

Silver points work best on black segments and black points on white segments.
__Your forum needs you... to contribute to the Dart Specs Database: Steel Tip (572) / Soft Tip (90) - Last update: July 2017
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
good idea. when i first joined someone suggested marking a small X in the center of the bed with a piece of chalk on the black segments and a dry erase marker on the white segments. i think one of hte biggest mistakes newer players make is that they dont actually aim for a specific spot, they aim at a general area.

george actually told me one time to aim at a point hole, or a divot, or a defect in the board. anything that will focus your attention on one specific spot. it sounds simple enough but way too many players dont do this simply because there isnt anything to visually focus on. when you are a beginner you are just hoping your dart will go somewhere close to where you are throwing it, and far too often that mindset stays with the player because no one has told them or showed them to do anything different.

great suggestion! my only issue is that in dont have any points laying around but but i have plenty of trim nails, which would probably work just as good.

michael
Thanks michael
You're right.  As a beginner, and for many years after that I only seen the large segments as just that... large, and I threw at it thinking you can't miss.  Since wanting more accuracy in my throw I was picking on the small marks on the board to aim at and found it did start to help after a while.  I like that the standard Blade 4 is generally good for that, having a lot of vein looking lines on it to focus on.  

It was only today when I was doing a usual 30 minute session of just hitting the Big 20 and found that there wasn't much to focus on in that particular 20 segment.  My mind was wandering too much and it becaume a chore to throw.  Then I though I'd just stick a broken dart point in there and voila...  I found that the ceiling spotlights would shine on the silver points so all you see is a white dot.  It gave me a great focus point after that.
__Your forum needs you... to contribute to the Dart Specs Database: Steel Tip (572) / Soft Tip (90) - Last update: July 2017
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(11-09-2016, 07:12 PM)mcockrell Wrote: george actually told me one time to aim at a point hole, or a divot, or a defect in the board. anything that will focus your attention on one specific spot.

Nice suggestion and the one above from George, courtesy of Michael, is also a very useful one and one that you can transfer to match play. Having a small dot or area to aim at rather than a large bed is a great way to gain focus, keep the concentration and will result in more accurate shots
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

yeah its a nice idea that have a +1 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I like the idea of having a focus point but why not just use one of the sisal veins or a mark on the spider? It's less of a hassle
Cheers ED85 & Grip Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(11-09-2016, 08:01 PM)Swiiiitch Wrote: It was only today when I was doing a usual 30 minute session of just hitting the Big 20 and found that there wasn't much to focus on in that particular 20 segment.  My mind was wandering too much and it becaume a chore to throw.  Then I though I'd just stick a broken dart point in there and voila...  I found that the ceiling spotlights would shine on the silver points so all you see is a white dot.  It gave me a great focus point after that.
(11-10-2016, 03:14 PM)SlingBlade Wrote: I like the idea of having a focus point but why not just use one of the sisal veins or a mark on the spider? It's less of a hassle
The veins and other marks work well enough for me on the white segments but I found the black segments are more difficult to find a focal point sometimes.  It's no hassle putting some kind of aid in the board if it helps.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thanks Swiiiitch, I will try it out, never did this quite simple thing.
Good idea, I'll use soft tips for this.
Steel Tip: 
Monster The Cobra II, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Jelle Klaasen Champagne flights
Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core
PB 501, 13 darts on July 18, 2018
PB 301, 6 darts on September 24, 2017
Soft Tip: 
Monster Rapier IV MG, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Haruki Muramatsu Ver.3 Champagne flights
Hi Darts
Thanks Swiiiitch. Neat idea and +1. I've used the Bristow rings now and then in the past. Now I can ditch the rings and just use the pins that come with them, lol. Easy Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images..
I think having something to shoot at does help.  When first starting to shoot darts and reading George's book I read about spot shooting.  I thought about what to look for on the board and had a hard time finding something.  I then went out and bought the round dots that stick to folders and used them on the board. I started with bigger ones but they don't stick as well but I could see something so they helped.

I was able to start using the smaller dots, now the thought of even using smaller actual points makes it even better for spot shooting. I will try this as long as I can see the points in the board lol -the trouble with getting old.
@ Redleg, kungfuron, Humdinger & trekbowl300
Thanks all, hope it helps.  I don't know why I didn't think of doing this a long time ago, like all simple ideas they're too close to see the wood from the trees.   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  

@trekbowl
I'm with you there with the old eyes, I struggle to see marks on the board too. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I swiped a few stick pins from the wife's sewing gear - round colored plastic head - they work great as well
I never thought I'd be so adept at subtracting 26 from any number....