Shot Darts

pausing before throwing
hello again everyone!

i think one of the issues i have with my throw is that i dont take the time to pause and make sure everything is aligned right before i throw sometimes. my throw is more of a rhythm style throw like MvG or jelle klaasen where i never really stop the dart at all. i pretty much line up with my elbow and forearm and then start my back stroke. even when i take a dart from my dog hand the dart never really stops during the entire throw. sometimes, and there doesnt seem to be any catalyst for it, things will not be lined up right and i dont notice it until the dart is almost out of my hand. 

i would like to keep the rhythm but id also like to be able to line up and make myself stop every once in a while if i think i need to. the problem is that although my brain wants to stop my body does not and it just keeps everything moving. when i see guys in my league or guys on tv (like peter wright or phil taylor) that seem to sit there for hours before they throw, even though it may actually be less than a second, and i try to imitate that i just cant. ive filmed myself before specifically trying to do this and in my head it seemed like i stopped for like 3 or 4 seconds but in reality it was about the blink of an eye. 

i wouldnt really be all that concerned about it but it seems like every time i "think" im stopping i seem to do well on that throw, or at least have everything lined up properly. the times ive missed doing this was bad release, etc. so now that our league is over after tonight im hoping i can spend some time practicing this but i was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and maybe some suggestions about what to do.

thanks in advance!

michael
I can understand what you mean..I used to pull the dart from holding hand and go straight into back swing....try giving yourself a starting point at an extended position for every throw...that way your not actually pausing and affecting your natural rhythm but your giving yourself a straight draw back, your going to go that direction with follow through and hitting that point will feel like a pause
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I think it could also work against you, the pause may upset your rhythm and give you too much time to think and therefore lead to other unwanted problems, but we are all different Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
The problem with no pause is you tend to follow your previous throw good or bad. Ok if your darts are sat just above T20 or the outer wire of a double.
But if one has strayed into t5 or t1 and you're not really giving yourself the chance to make small adjustments it can only cause inaccuracies.
You should always try and give yourself the best chance of hitting what you aim at.

Chris..
chris i think that is probably the issue im having only its not just with the follow up darts but its a huge problem with the first dart. ive kind of trained myself to make adjustments from the first dart to the second and third but most of the time if im going to miss its going to be with the first dart. and while it might be something completely different i believe right now that its because im using a rhythm method but being that its the first dart there is nothing to draw from....if that makes sense. with the other two i can adjust and shift to correct anything that went wrong with the first one, and thats why i really like using a rhythm tempo. but its that first one that keeps messing me up because there is no rhythm yet.

so thats why im trying to force myself to pause just to make sure everything is good, at least before the first dart. most of the time the 2 and 3 darts are fine, but anytime you use a tempo stroke like that you will eventually pull a dart out wrong or have it slide in your grip, or sometimes i can even see that im aimed wrong but most of the time i just cannot help myself and i throw it anyway. so somehow ive got to force myself to at least be able to stop when i need to and if i dont, then i dont have to.

does that make any sense to you guys? hahaha this all sounded very clear and concise when i said it in my head.....

michael
I can tell you that over the last 2 years that my approach the the oche has changed because my health changed ,,,,i have always been one of those type of players that do phantom throws ,,, not all the time but more often than not ,,,, when I don't feel good I seem to just go up and rapid fire ,,, and my darts are nowhere near consistent,,,,,

More too come on this subject,,, as I am leaving out the door at the moment,,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
when you say phantom throw do you mean the wobble, wiggle, double clutch thingy like brendan dolan or alan norris?

or do you mimic the entire throw before you actually throw?
I find my approach to the oche the most important part of my trip to the board ,,,,,,some say do not watch the other player or even pay attention to what he throws on his turn,,,,,I can say without a shadow of a doubt I am not this type of shooter,,,,I live,,, breath,,, and encourage good,(great) turns to the board ,,even for my opponents on every turn,,,,,,,It is like a roller coaster ride of emotions at the dart board and when I feel good my energy's are positive 100% for me or my opponent ,,,,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

That being said ,,, when I approach the oche I already know well in advance of what I need to throw,,,,Cricket players know what I mean ,,, and I can spit out an out shot on soft tip in my sleep (Master out,,,Big Bull worth 50 points,,,, trips and doubles count) ,,, while English 501 double out is a bit tougher,,,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

For me when I get to the oche I find the spot on the floor in soft tip behind the line by making a couple of quick fake throws using my throwing motion to try and feel some extension with my elbow raised to correct height,,,,,,I say spot on the Floor because the boards get moved around all the time ,, and the big tape stripe used in soft tip is rarely straight,,,, I carry an oche mate for really bad places where the line needs to be fixed or replaced,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

So after lining up my shoulder in direct line with the Bull,,, I also check my stance ,,, I use a 3/4 stance ,, and I often lineup and then swivel my hips like a batter preparing to enter a batters box to wait on a pitcher to throw the next pitch,,, Swiveling my hips a bit away from center lines up my shoulder and elbow to make a good attempt to hit my target,,,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The real key to all of this is to control my breathing ,, or to give myself ample time to take a couple of good breaths ,,,and to concentrate,,,,,its like shooting a gun or pulling an arrow across a bow ,,, you don't necessarily need hold your breath,,,,just control your breath,,,,think of it as a mini yoga session every time you approach the oche ,,,, Darts is a mind set for me ,,,, I have to set my mind and control my emotions to be the best I can be,,,,,

This may sound like alot ,,, but we play with a 30 second timer ,,, and all of this happens with plenty of time left on said timer,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
For what seems forever I was a "bring up/set/draw/throw and release" player. Now it's a one piece fluid movement like M. Smith/MvG with lesser results mind you.
Everyone is different obviously, will say I do like the hybrid type motion in a way that Ando has. First dart is set then throws followed by his last two in a more fluid one piece action.
Most important IMO is it doesn't matter how you go about throwing a dart as long as it's the same every time. Same as ones fundamentals in stance and dog hand placement.