Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

SPiNNiNG SHAFTS!?!?
Looking for advice. I have tried spinning L Style shafts in the past but did not like the wiggle and vibrations they made. Is there a better spinning shaft I could get that does not shake and rattle? Or are spinning shafts sort of useless? Like I dont see the professionals use them. haha.
I have target pro grip spin shafts, picked them up by accident meant to get fixed. But upon using them I really like them. My flights definitely seem to be lasting longer and I get no rattle or unwanted movement throws like a standard shaft
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(11-07-2016, 11:25 PM)Lukelcfc Wrote: I have target pro grip spin shafts, picked them up by accident meant to get fixed. But upon using them I really like them. My flights definitely seem to be lasting longer and I get no rattle or unwanted movement throws like a standard shaft

Agree,,,, holds the Flight tight ,,,,feels like a regular Target Pro Grip non spinning shaft,,,,,,Dirt cheap compared to other "Premium" brand spinning shafts,,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Dyna Star was the first spinning flight system I ever used and it was OK until the thin wire shafts kept bending when the hit the floor on bounceouts. I then tried the aluminum spinning shafts but they tended to rattle after a while, so I decided to give up on the gimmicks and go with standard nylon stems and kite flights.

Besides, the Dyna Star system of stems and flights were in the $8 - $10 range for a set and the spinning aluminum stems that took regular flights were in the $3 - $4 a set range.
Pro Grips seemed solid and quiet but I robin hooded one the second day and broke it. I used the L Style Silent as well and found the rattling annoying. The Carbon Silents are supposed to be better but some still report rattling. I use Cosmo now and I do feel like the have a bit of movement but it doesn't really bug me. Once I decide on the shaft type and length I want to stick with, I'll order up some carbons.

Pros don't really need to worry about flight longevity, they could replace them every leg if they wanted.
Steel Tip: 
Monster The Cobra II, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Jelle Klaasen Champagne flights
Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core
PB 501, 13 darts on July 18, 2018
PB 301, 6 darts on September 24, 2017
Soft Tip: 
Monster Rapier IV MG, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Haruki Muramatsu Ver.3 Champagne flights
Hi Darts
Spinning shafts have the advantage of letting other darts by, that is negated by the lack of stability they offer during flight. Just my opinion. They are neat, but not necessarily necessary or beneficial.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

Ooh I have a lot of spinning stem experience!

Being the fanboy I am it should come as no surprise I think the Cosmo system is the best. If you want to use other flight shapes to what they offer though L-Style is great too since you can use normal flights with them.

I don't think any spinning system is without rattle (although L-Style carbon silent is best for reducing it in my experience, followed by Cosmo and then other spinning stems). 

Target Pro Grip Spin and Harrows Supergrip Spin stems are good for their price but rattle is more pronounced IMO. They also Robin Hood more easily or at least the tangs come off more likely when you do. He came calling when I was throwing with my L-Style Carbon Silent stems yesterday and no damage was caused.

Some pros use spinning stems. I don't always but they help me because I get a lot of deflections even with DXM or Vapor-S flights. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
I recently tried out the pro grip spin and was surprised by how very little rattle they had. I robinhooded them a few times but never broke one which I put down to using ti slot lock rings. When I went back to regular pro grips I had to use 2 sets of pliers to get the flight and ring off cause the robinhoods had bent tangs.
There Are No Heroes, Only Warriors
There's a thread, or 2 about how to eliminate the rattle.
I have not had anywhere near the issues others have with this mysterious "rattle" on L-Style though. That being said, when I use spinners, they are almost always the carbon ones.

i find the Nylon (black or white) pro grip spinners to be superb i used one set for many weeks and never had any hint of a rattle or noise. in fact they have not loosened up at all, and i group my darts pretty well. however, the vision pro grip spinning and harrows supergrip spinning which are both polycarbonate i believe were much worse.

both were very noisy after just a short while. also the tops came off now and then. again i have not had one top come off with the nylon version. i have not tried the black supergrip stems so i don't know if they are nylon.

i will happily buy the nylon pro grip spin again but will be steering clear of the vision model.
Darts: 22g Darts Clearance 
Shafts: Nitrotech short
Flights: Standard No.2

The carbon l-styles and the target pro grip spinners are both really good. With 100+ micron flights they do help alot to prevent strange deflections.
i dont see too many people using these. there are maybe one or two people in my league that use them but thats about it.

i tried them but i must have gotten a bad set because the wiggle and the wobble during the throw kept freaking me out. i did use some that i got from A-Z that didnt really spin during the throw but would move if hit. i threw with these for quite a while. but they were nylon stems but the end where the flight goes in was metal and they kept breaking after getting speared so i just went back to the regular kind.
Cosmo!!!! Best system for non-rattling. Downside is cost, especially depending on what type of dart you throw. Smooth transition from point to barrel, like most One80 darts, then no problem last long, others like Lewis and Wade etc. etc. etc. you will go through flights like crazy, again depending on grouping and your level of play.

To be frank, I used Cosmo spinners for the past 2 years and went back to punched flights with springs on nylon stems and haven't seen much of a difference between spinners and non. Most of the time when 2 darts are in the treble or near each other with spinners the don't move as the flights are touching anyway and do not turn/spin.
Medicine Hat Darts League---------------------------------                 Darts Used: 22g One80 R2 Renegade's
Target is really good but I managed to break them too! Very little rattle and I have another set I will probably try on my steel tips. Not a problem on my soft tip set up
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

I used the L-Style carbon silent(Spinning) stem with shell lock flights and had no rattle.  I did not try the molded flights yet and may in the future but the shell lock flights had to be punched and replaced when banged up.  You can use regular flights punched or not with these stems but I only did it once because I broke one of the tangs on the stem now I can only use the stem with a shell lock flight because the shell lock still snaps on and no rattle.

I then tried the Cosmo spin stems and the molded flights system and again feel no rattle and these are the hybrid spin stem not even carbon.  

The Cosmo's are very expensive for the complete system stem and flight and the only rattle I had on the Cosmo was an old flight that had gotten hit many times and finally got hit just where it holds onto the stem and that caused the rattle but I just replaced the flight with a new one and no rattle.

A much cheaper stem was the Harrows Supergrip spin they were very tight and hardly ever moved, in fact it was even hard to move the flight by hand.  However after robin hooding 2 of them and having to replace the stems I just went back to the Cosmo and have been there ever since.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spinning the Dart derrickyoung 16 1,532 07-25-2019, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Zero
  spinning and fishtailing bdebbane 4 410 05-03-2019, 05:03 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  Spinning the dart. Haywood90 1 374 12-12-2018, 07:47 AM
Last Post: DanC.Licks
  Fishtailing and spinning cubdog 12 1,683 01-29-2018, 02:42 AM
Last Post: Banz
  Rotating/spinning the dart during pull back skinnygav 16 2,442 12-02-2015, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Zimchaz