Target Darts.

Height clearance
Strange question but I'm wondering if there's a minimum ceiling height for your dartboard area?

It's starting to get colder in the garage Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. and since I've really only really been playing/practising daily since Easter(will be my first winter taking it seriously), I'm thinking of moving my operation inside. Problem is my basement has quite a low ceiling for the most part. Found an area on the mechanical side that I may need to use...

I throw fairly straight so I'm hoping I can find a spot that works for me with no clearance issues. Will just need to move the board back to the garage if the boys come over(can heat it but not really on demand)

Any ideas?
My man cave on the ground floor of my house has a relatively low ceiling height of 7 ft. 2 in. It has not been a problem for me or any of the people that have come by to throw, and one of them is tall at 6 ft. 5 in. tall. Of course he can't wear his hats or they hit the track lighting I have on the ceiling to light my boards.

The only time my ceiling has ever been hit by a dart was one night when my crazy as an outhouse rat wife needed a double 1 to win a game as my partner. She let the dart fly and it scraped the ceiling and landed smack in the D-1 for the win. For some reason, she thinks that is the way to go when she ends up on D-1 and if I'm her partner I try to never leave that shot.
If you dont loop your darts high in the air, height shouldn't be much of an issue
Ah the turmoils of Canada!!!

Sounds like the same issue I had when I started playing in 2014.... my garage heater broke.... playing in the garage in a toque and jacket was irritating!

I don;t expect you'll need too much height. Throw the board up and test it out!

My "winter" setup...and 20 minutes later  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nice!
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts: Target Carrera C10 - 24g
Dartboard: One80 Gladiator II
Lighting: Target Vision 360
Surround: Winmau Orange
My mom's ceiling is low and it forced me to throw more straight on and it was a bit awkward to begin with but then it also made for some great banked shots off the ceiling at time. 20 tops was a bit of a push at times for me though
That winter set up is nice. I need to make a spot in the garage for the summer when it rains every day, and those winter days when it might be too windy to throw outside.
Not sure how many have this issue, but thought I would share my experience with low ceilings.  

I have dartboards set up in several locations (don't all Nutz?) where ceilings are not a problem.  Then I created a home office in my mother's basement "rec room".  Of course I needed a dartboard!  The bottom of the floor joists above are 7' from the basement floor.  My father had tiled the ceiling in that room many years ago using strapping, so the net ceiling height is closer to 6' 10".  This is too low!  At 7', it's not too bad, but for best results I think 7' 2" might be a better minimum.

I'm resolving this by "channelling"  from oche line to board just about flush with the joists.  This will give me 7'.  Not perfect, but usable.  I could set up the board between joists if required, giving me close to 8', but that might feel a little claustrophobic with the joists 18" apart.  Would also involve a little more effort because of the way my father connected his wall studs to the ceiling joists, but certainly doable.

If you're evaluating a room for darts, I would recommend sticking with a 86" (~219 cm) minimum.  Much lower and you will have problems.  Unless you're Stephen Bunting  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

cheers...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Player's height Trainor180 2 1,041 03-09-2020, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Phil D
  Board Height brunocar5 6 523 06-11-2019, 02:38 PM
Last Post: gumbo2176
  Should the dartboard height be 68" or 173cm? whippet0 7 1,391 08-10-2018, 03:55 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  Height control James 180 10 1,166 12-25-2017, 02:09 AM
Last Post: Doubledouble
  The physical height of the top pros.... Regulatori 14 57,300 04-30-2017, 05:15 PM
Last Post: The G