Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

GLD Viper Iron Cross Desperado 24g darts review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYHQ-HgaCkY

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel: click here

These are the GLD Viper Iron Cross Desperado darts.  There is 4 models in the range and these are the 24g model and there is just one weight for each model.  They are 80% tungsten and retail around the £34 mark.  For those who may not know GLD is a U.S. company and Viper is one of their darts brand names.

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

The darts come supplied in an aluminium case with a cloth bag which I am not entirely sure what the use is for? and the barrels are fitted with some medium alloy stems and fantail Iron Cross flights and there is an extra set of GLD Viper standard flights:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

PICS OF THE DARTS:

CLOSE UP PICS:

The barrels have a nice contrast between the black and silvery tungsten which stands out well.  They have a tapered nose and the front is mostly made up of a micro style grip which has a kind of black coated paint on.  The rear is a chunky ring grip with wide rigns and grooves.  I would say grip overall ia a low medium.

DIMENSIONS:

Length:

WEIGHT:

There is a difference of  four hundredths of a gram between lightest and heaviest barrels:

Weight of full setup as supplied:

BALANCE:

With nothing attached the barrel was front weighted:

With supplied setup  it moved slightly front of centre:

Balance with my own medium, short and extra short nylon stems and standard flights:

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

I gripped these right on the front micro grip:

CONCLUSION:

I actually first saw these darts a couple of years ago on a U.S. site and I quite liked the look of them and with me been fond of micro grip and a front gripper I thought they would suit me.

Well they do fly quite well for my front grip although I was a touch disappointed that the micro grip was not a little more grippy than it is.  I am not 100% sure what the black paint is on them and dont know if that is making them less grippy but I think I would have liked a bit more grip really, they were not slippy though.  As I suspected though they are weighted quite nicely for a front gripper but overall I was kind of surprised that the darts felt lighter than 24g when I was throwing.

The biggest surprise was throwing from the centre though.  I was not expecting them to fly so well for me there but I think they actually flew better than with my front grip.  I was kind of half on the micro grip and half on the rings but the darts were very nicely balanced for me there and nicely flighted.

When trying the rear they were also flying pretty well, not quite as nice as the centre but far better than I was expecting them to be.  I think grip on the rear was better for grippiness and it also felt quite comfy holding the dart there.

So a curious dart really as I was not expecting that from the centre and rear, I felt for sure it would be just a front grippers dart mainly but not so.  It could possibly be worth a shout for all grip types then.  On the whole it remained well behaved through the air although I did switch the fantails for the standard flights, I dont think they would have flown so well for me with the fantails on.

I am not sure about the black paint though, I think I would personally remove that and see if it helps with the front grip.  

Quality wise the darts seem fine although the black coating was a little patchy in areasbut the darts themselves seem nice enough, whether you need an alloy case is another matter but its there and part of the package and at around £34 its not bad value.

Summary Ratings:

Looks: 7 (nice contrast with the black)
Grip: 6 (1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 8 (fairly close)
Quality: 8 (overall fine)
Value: 7 (fine)
Suitability for me: 7.5 (not bad really, fly well but prefer more grip)

Best Feature: Nice centre balance Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Never did I think I would see a Wisconsin dart company reviewed here. I think every player in the US at some point had a pair of Viper/GLD darts. They're very well marketed here and very easy to get on Amazon, so i think that helps. I don't have any experience with their steel tips, but it's good to see they make quality steel tips as well. Thanks for the review! Nicely done!
Isn`t that too much for 80 % darts set?
180-1(33)

Looks alright, these darts. They look like the Mark Dudbridge Harrows darts you could buy once upon a time.

Also, don't blame you for using the standard flights as those Iron Cross flights are way too slim.
I think we found a new unit of measurement at 4:05 in the video. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Also, at 4:42 Darren keeps us in suspense as to what it's slightly in front of. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
(11-02-2016, 10:31 PM)Kosumo Wrote: I think we found a new unit of measurement at 4:05 in the video. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Also, at 4:42 Darren keeps us in suspense as to what it's slightly in front of. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I think he's trying to make a DartsNutz ringtone and got it all wrong Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(11-02-2016, 09:11 PM)tannersoap Wrote: Never did I think I would see a Wisconsin dart company reviewed here.  I think every player in the US at some point had a pair of Viper/GLD darts.  They're very well marketed here and very easy to get on Amazon, so i think that helps.  I don't have any experience with their steel tips, but it's good to see they make quality steel tips as well.  Thanks for the review!  Nicely done!

They do seem to be on a lot of sites there. I don't think they are too bad although may be they should be a little cheaper and if you take away the case then cheaper still, the balance is nice on them though.

(11-02-2016, 09:33 PM)Troll Wrote: Isn`t that too much for 80 % darts set?

I think those alloy case are around £10 to £15 on Red Dragon so get rid of that and I think for the darts alone a price around the £25 would be reasonable enough.

(11-02-2016, 10:12 PM)sjmattitude1982 Wrote: Looks alright, these darts. They look like the Mark Dudbridge Harrows darts you could buy once upon a time.

Also, don't blame you for using the standard flights as those Iron Cross flights are way too slim.

The Dudbridge is one of my old faves, I managed to get a couple of new sets a few months ago Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(11-02-2016, 10:31 PM)Kosumo Wrote: I think we found a new unit of measurement at 4:05 in the video. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(11-03-2016, 01:30 AM)sjmattitude1982 Wrote:

I think he's trying to make a DartsNutz ringtone and got it all wrong Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

LOL I don't know what happened, on my PC the sound was fine but after editing all the bits together it went a bit screwy?

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Had a 23g Dudbridge set myself 2-3 years ago andd they didn't work out at all for me. Can actually see you doing a retro review of them in the future.
yeah the Dudbridge and I think I got some Unicorns that were similar, the German player who was going with Whitlock for a while, forgot her name now.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(11-03-2016, 05:34 PM)Getagrip Wrote: yeah the Dudbridge and I think I got some Unicorns that were similar, the German player who was going with Whitlock for a while, forgot her name now.

Steffi Luck...

Nice review again Darren. :thumbup:
Thanks Brad, yeah that was it Steffi luck but the first version she had Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Another super review. I actully like the look of them. They remind me a bit of a RD / Nodor dart too - https://www.reddragondarts.com/det/8885/Vulcan-24-gram/
A shame that the coating has taken the edge off the micro grip as I find micro grip to be a really nice grip. They are quite a good looking dart though - good job Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Cheers! Nice spot on those darts at RD I don't think I seen those before, may get a set as they look nice! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I just ordered a set of these on eBay to go along with my Harrows Retina 24g darts. I'll have to let you know how they feel once I get them.

Kevin S.
Harvey, LA, USA
Harrows Retina, 24 grams
Hope you like them Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Target Rob Cross Gen 2 Darts Review Getagrip 13 1,009 02-02-2021, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Bounce Out
  Target Rob Cross 23g darts review Getagrip 45 22,705 02-15-2019, 11:06 PM
Last Post: ME27
  Target Rob Cross 80% 22g darts review Getagrip 21 2,514 02-15-2019, 08:55 PM
Last Post: neil_kman
  Target Rob Cross 2018 World Champion Limited Edition darts review Getagrip 26 14,978 10-15-2018, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Target Rob Cross 2018 World Champion Limited Edition Darts A Quick Preview Getagrip 12 3,998 04-22-2018, 03:28 PM
Last Post: *Saber*
  Bulls Fighter Iron 17g darts review Getagrip 7 3,571 10-26-2017, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Getagrip